Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Slap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Slap

So something happened to get people talking about the Oscars.

Link

-------------

What do I think of what happened at the Oscars? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I remember back in 2015 seeing ads for a series called The Slap. The series description is as follows:

“A once happy family suddenly begins to fall apart following a seemingly minor incident in which a man slaps another couple’s misbehaving child.”

I remember seeing these ads for the series I never watched and thinking, “How could you make a whole series about a slap?”

My past self would be surprised to see what my social media feed looked like yesterday and no doubt will still look like today.

So there was apparently some event called the Oscars on Sunday night. I wasn’t even aware of it and didn’t watch it, but when I got home and got on my laptop and browsed through Facebook, I saw people talking about Will Smith slapping Chris Rock over a joke. There has been debate on all sides about this. One debate is if the event was staged or not, but I do want to ignore that and I’m going to treat it like a real event.

The event was about Chris Rock making a joke about Will Smith’s wife, Jada, and having a bald head which is actually due to a medical condition she has. At first, Will was laughing about it until he saw that Jada was very upset by it and so Will walks up on stage, slaps Chris Rock, and then profanely tells him to not mention his wife at all to which he agrees.

As someone who has been married before and hopes to be again, my first thought was this was a man defending the honor of his wife. I know in the past when someone insulted my ex on Facebook, I tore into them and I can honestly tell you it was a time of rage. I think most people know that when it happened, you get out the popcorn and watch. There will be fireworks.

But this is how little I pay attention to Hollywood. I didn’t know at the time that the Smiths practice an “open marriage” to which I don’t know how that can be called a marriage. Thus, for Will Smith, it’s okay if another guy sleeps with his wife, but God forbid if another guy makes a joke about her.

It’s hard to consider it a defending of honor after that.

Not only that, he was laughing at the joke at first and then later after he wins an award, gets up and apologizes to everyone. Hard to say “I was defending my wife’s honor, but I want to apologize to everyone.” A contrast to also make to this is the way Rock responded.

I suspect when he saw Will coming up to him, he knew something violent was about to happen, and assuming he was really hit, he stood there and took it and then made a self-effacing joke about it and went on. If this was real, that did take self-control. Should Rock have made the joke? Probably not. Does he come off the better man in this? Yes.

If this was staged, I suspect it won’t work anyway. Most of us view Hollywood as a mutual admiration society with people in it coming together to tell us about how evil wealth and popularity are while having wealth and popularity. We normally turn to entertainment platforms for, well, entertainment, and not to be lectured.

Thus far, my plans are that tomorrow we will get back to Kapr’s book. I did manage to finish it over the week, though if I finish the Michael Bird book I’m reading, I will have a brief interlude to give my thoughts on that. With this being in the news, I decided I needed to comment on that and honestly, there will be a lot to say about Kapr’s book tomorrow and I wanted to wait until I would have more time and since it’s my day off, it will be much easier.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    What do I think of what happened at the Oscars? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. I remember back in 2015 seeing ads for a series called The Slap. The series description is as follows: “A once happy family suddenly begins to fall apart following a seemingly minor incident in which a … Continue reading The Slap

Best in depth analysis I have read on the subject. You really should write for tabloids if you have the appetite. "The Christian Perspective" or something like that.

Comment

There's a lot of nuance to this episode that people can dissect, and sometimes it gets confusing sorting it out.

My first reaction (and not many others have mentioned it) is that it was a dishonorable display. When I was a young man, altercations involved a certain degree of honor. First, you should never "sucker punch" your opponent. It puts them at an immediate and unfair disadvantage. Granted, sometimes in the heat of the moment people can react spontaneously and I have done so at moments myself, but this goes beyond that. Smith strode quite a distance to reach Rock and it should have been ample time to cool down, which makes me believe it wasn't really a spontaneous reaction. It was done for show for his wife, possibly for others in the audience.

Secondly, had it actually been a spontaneous moment of anger Smith would have cooled down upon reaching Rock, where he could have made his case face to face without the blow; telling him to lay off his wife.

Thirdly, after a first blow is made, you don't immediately retreat. That is a coward's fight. Smith went back to his seat and began shouting and swearing from a safe distance. From what I understand, Rock is not a fighter and he likely wouldn't have retaliated, but he should have been allowed that chance. By the time Rock processed what had just happened, Smith was gone.

Perhaps I have an old-fashioned and antiquated sense of honor, but this was not it. Smith did not defend his wife's honor as much as he wrecked his own.

Comment