Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Thanks For Being There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks For Being There

Thank you

Link

--------------

What can you learn about friends in a divorce? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

First off, if anyone can share this to Facebook on my wall, that would be great. Today, I have been placed in Facebook jail for the stupidest of reasons. Last night, I made a post about being at work and seeing a couple come in and the girl had a Legend of Zelda T-shirt on and I said I immediately thought, “Dude. If you haven’t already, marry her.” One of my friends said “What if she thinks the guy with the pointy ears and the sword is Zelda?” I replied “Burn her at the stake.” I went to bed thinking nothing of it.

Woke up this morning and saw it was gone. I thought maybe I just didn’t hit reply, so I said it again.

I was apparently inciting violence.

Way to go, Facebook.

Anyway, today is a day I have been looking forward to, though I didn’t know when it would come or if it would. My friend David had his Mom’s uncle die and he has to pass through Knoxville to go to the funeral and he’s stopping here today and I and another friend will be meeting him.

When I moved to Charlotte, David came with me from his home state. When I had my wedding, he was my best man. We have always stayed in touch, but I haven’t seen him since I left Charlotte which I think was ten years ago this month.

This led to me reflecting on friends. I remember a girl in DivorceCare once saying in a small group meeting that once you lose someone in divorce, you don’t really fear rejection since you’ve gone through the worst already. Good for her. I don’t mean that sarcastically. I mean it really. If she’s not scared of it, awesome.

I’m not one of those people. I do live in fear of it. I do wonder that if the person who I thought would always be there and promised to love me to the end and treated me like such a gift will abandon me despite her making a promise before God and man, who else will?

Meeting with David and another friend today reminds me that there are people who have always been there. I don’t think I have lost a single friend due to the divorce. If I have, I guess they weren’t much of a friend to begin with.

Those friends mean so much. Some, like David, have been friends of mine for well over a decade. Some of you I have never even met but through Facebook, despite their stupid policies sometimes, have proven to be great friends. When I was at ETS or DTF, here I was among Christian scholars and known to be a divorced man and no one treated me as if I was a wicked sinner or anything like that. Trust me. You can often have the red D hanging over your head with this.

Do I still live with this fear of abandonment? Yes. My ex at the time seemed like someone rare who would not reject me or abandon me and seemed to genuinely care for me and love me. I realize as I begin dating I’m going to have to put my heart on the line at times, but I have to remember it’s worth it. Marriage is still a great good that I want.

Today though, I’m just reflecting on the people I have not lost. Some friends have also been through divorce and have been kind enough to join me on the journey. It is a blessing. Many times when people pray for me, they also pray for my ex and for her well-being without my even asking them to and that always gives me joy. I still do pray for her well-being. (I want to stress that as many times, a divorced person will pray for death on their ex. I have not.)

So to my friends, thank you for being there.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

I'm guessing it was a bot that got you suspended, if not, then the person doesn't have a sense of humor. I've been suspended on a forum before as a "troll" when I pointed out a tactic the forum uses to brush issues under the rug. The problem is these people will protect their image and power at all costs. There is a reason I don't play Overwatch anymore.

Comment

I am going to delete this thread because of inciting violence!

Comment

If someone posts the song Thank you for Being a Friend I'm gonna... um... I'm gonna punch the pirate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          I'm guessing it was a bot that got you suspended, if not, then the person doesn't have a sense of humor. I've been suspended on a forum before as a "troll" when I pointed out a tactic the forum uses to brush issues under the rug. The problem is these people will protect their image and power at all costs. There is a reason I don't play Overwatch anymore.
          I wonder how they would have reacted to

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I wonder how they would have reacted to

Probably would have been reported for "real life death threats" like I was when I said that a lie that had been going around needed to die. Fortunately one of the mods was intelligent enough to reverse that suspension, but I had to contest their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I am going to delete this thread because of inciting violence!
              If even a pirate thinks you've gone too far, it's a sign you goofed.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                If even a pirate thinks you've gone too far, it's a sign you goofed.
                And yet whenever you find the pirate agreeing with you, it is time to reassess your position because it is likely wrong.

So it appears that we might have a...

Comment