Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Sex on the Period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    Why was this to be avoided?

Link

-----------

Why did God forbid sex during a woman’s period? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This is one rule that really doesn’t make sense to a lot of us in our modern culture. Why could you not have sex during a woman’s period? Part of the problem that we have with this is that we don’t see the world as the ancients did, not because of something scientific, but because we don’t think of purity that way. At least, we say that we don’t, though in many ways we do.

Suppose I come over to your house to visit you with a can of unopened soda in my hand. While I sit on your couch talking to you, I open the can and then start pouring it profusely on your couch and carpet. I would not be surprised if you say a various number of words to me and throw me out.

This isn’t because the damage I have done is anything physically harmful necessarily. It’s more because I have damaged an idea of purity you have about your house.
    "Damaged an idea of purity I have about my house"? NO, it's about the fact that now I'll have to spend time cleaning up after a mindless boob.

You don’t want a stain to be right there on the carpet even if there was nothing harmful about it. (Even if there is, I suspect most people are worried about the stain instead.) We have a reason why we sell stain removers for our clothes before we go on a date or another social outing.

This is the same kind of thing behind this command. It’s why the verse refers to her uncleanliness. This is also something that is done intentionally. It’s not an accident that this happens. In some ways, you could call this the sin of the high hand where one openly tries to defile God.
    "Same kind," A woman's period is some kind of mindless, destructive act? You've got to be kidding. Having a period is a natural function of womanhood. Dumping a can of soda on a host's furniture is not.

So what does that mean for us today?
    Not a thing.

Well, we don’t live in a society that focuses on ritual purity that way.
    What ritual purity are you talking about? I saw no mention of ritual purity.

First, assuming one wants to abstain during this time, you are talking about a few days really. If you are someone who cannot go a few days without having sex, you probably have bigger concerns.
    Bigger concerns such as? __________________________________________________ __________ .

Second, if your wife is in intense pain from her period and is not feeling sexy, you should probably be considerate and not have sex with her then. Personally, any time she doesn’t want to have sex at all you should avoid it. This is just personal consideration.
    Spot on.

Third, the whole point for them was avoiding blood and this might be something you want to take into consideration as well.
    What point?

Again, this is something debatable and especially in an age where we can use the pill to avoid the flow of blood that can happen.
    What pill are you talking about? While there are pills that suppress or delay menstruation I don't know of any that will stop it for good, which, I assume, is what you're talking about.

Of course, even the morality of the pill can be debated.
    What moral issue would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Resurrections View Post
      Hmmm, only men responding so far...I'll throw in my feminine 2 cents here.

I strongly suspect that God had ulterior motives for this requirement. What if God was trying to maximize the birthrate of His people to build them up as a nation? What if He gave this law in order to align with a woman's typical ovulation cycle? By the time a woman's period had passed, and the required days of purification after that, she would have generally been entering the time of the month when she was most likely to become pregnant. If God's purpose was to increase the number of children for the Israelite nation so that they would be as numerous "as the sand of the sea", then this law would have been a natural way to increase the odds of that happening.
      Who created that part of the reproductive cycle wherein a fetus regularly dies? Miscarriage didn’t emerge with human beings. Fetal death antedated humanity by eons.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Fetal death antedated humanity by eons.
        Ir meh Gird!

Comment