Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Sympathy for the Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sympathy for the Devil

Who is to blame?

Link

----------

Who is responsible for your struggle and suffering? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

It seems to be common in the South, at least here in America. I would like to think it is just us, but I doubt that. It’s a problem where the devil becomes a whipping boy for everything.

Are you struggling with sin? That’s Satan at work. Are you suffering from a sickness? That’s the devil. Is something distracting you from following Jesus? That’s the devil as well.

At some points, you sometimes wonder if you’re developing sympathy for the devil. Why does he get the credit for everything? Isn’t there more likely another reason why you’re struggling with sin? Maybe that reason could be found if you just went and looked in a mirror.

It’s this idea that we’ve developed that we don’t even realize, but it’s as if we’re saying if the devil would just leave us alone and stop tempting us, we would be living perfect lives. This is not to say the devil cannot tempt, but the way we speak about him, we’ve made him more the counterpart of God who is everywhere and all-powerful as well.

We also don’t help ourselves on the path to holiness. I would love it if I could get to blame the devil whenever I fall into temptation or whenever I am even tempted. If I can do that, then it’s not me. I don’t have to work on anything.

If my neighbor is struggling with sin, I don’t have to want him to repent. I just have to pray the devil will leave him alone. Once the devil has left him alone, then he will come over to the house, we will have tea and cookies, and we will discuss the gospel and he will bend the knee to Jesus immediately.

Keep in mind please, none of this is to say there are no demonic powers at work. I do hold that the devil is a defeated foe, but that he still does have some demons left behind that have been allowed for whatever reason to act on the Earth. I don’t doubt that this is what is going on with certain New Age and psychic type practices.

However, when we do this, we are robbing ourselves of the opportunity to repent and robbing our neighbor as well. Our neighbor doesn’t need to change. It’s just the devil is on his back all the time. Get rid of that and life will go perfect.

Yet in James, we are told temptation comes because of the desires we have within us. If we are struggling with sin, the problem is not the devil. The problem is us. If we blame the devil over and over, then we won’t take responsibility for ourselves.

What about suffering? Even if we went the route of Job and said the devil brought about all of that, the biggest cause of our suffering is again, us. It’s what we tell ourselves about what happens in our lives. Once again, we are the problem.

This is also good news. It means if we accept responsibility, we can begin the work of change. We can move towards holiness. When we stand before God, any sin that we have committed, the devil won’t be able to take responsibility for. It will be us. He can tempt us, but he cannot force us. We choose.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

If the devil were to die, would the world still be like it is now, with all the evil and suffering?

Comment

Your OP seem to be drastically minimizing the devil and his ploys. You may not intend it, but a reasonable inference would seem to be that almost the ONLY places where the devil is active is in New Age and psychic (and presumably non-fake magical and overtly demon-centered) practices.

But the same James who said we are tempted by our own desires just a few chapters later told us in consecutive sentences to "submit to God" and "resist the devil." Among other things, this comes close to placing the devil and God as the sort of opposite-but-nearly-equal characters that you seek to deny.

If the devil is not really an ongoing potential problem for most believers, why the need for warnings about him in Eph. 4 and 6, 1 Tim. 3, 1 Pet. 5, and 1 John 3?
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
        If the devil were to die, would the world still be like it is now, with all the evil and suffering?
        Looking at what humans can do to each other without the devils' help ... his absence would quite likely pass unnoticed.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Looking at what humans can do to each other without the devils' help ... his absence would quite likely pass unnoticed.
          Yeah, the thought just occurred to me. Like, what if the devil had a heart attack and died, or he fell down and couldn't get back up?

Comment

Agreed. We are good enough on our own at doing evil.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              Your OP seem to be drastically minimizing the devil and his ploys. You may not intend it, but a reasonable inference would seem to be that almost the ONLY places where the devil is active is in New Age and psychic (and presumably non-fake magical and overtly demon-centered) practices.

But the same James who said we are tempted by our own desires just a few chapters later told us in consecutive sentences to "submit to God" and "resist the devil." Among other things, this comes close to placing the devil and God as the sort of opposite-but-nearly-equal characters that you seek to deny.

If the devil is not really an ongoing potential problem for most believers, why the need for warnings about him in Eph. 4 and 6, 1 Tim. 3, 1 Pet. 5, and 1 John 3?
              Well I hold the devil was bound at 70 A.D. and all those texts were written before that date so....

Comment

Okay, am I the only one who when they see the thread title starts humming the Rolling Stones song?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Okay, am I the only one who when they see the thread title starts humming the Rolling Stones song?
                  There's a song about rolling some stones?
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There's a song about rolling some stones?
                    Rolling some what?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually, the Devil recently got fed up with being stuck in hell and opened a night club in LA. He turned out to be a pretty nice guy (if not the sharpest pencil in the box) and ended up helping people to get out of hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post
                        Actually, the Devil recently got fed up with being stuck in hell and opened a night club in LA. He turned out to be a pretty nice guy (if not the sharpest pencil in the box) and ended up helping people to get out of hell.
                        Someone watches too much TV

Comment

Someone watches too much TV
                          That would include me, because when I see the title, I think of an episode of "Supernatural," not some song.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Rolling some what?

Pleased to meet you
                            Hope you guessed my name
                            But what's confusing you
                            Is just the nature of my game

Just as every cop is a criminal
                            And all the sinners saints
                            As heads is tails
                            Just call me Lucifer
                            'Cause I'm in need of some restraint

So if you meet me
                            Have some courtesy
                            Have some sympathy, and some taste
                            Use all your well-learned politeness
                            Or I'll lay your soul to waste

Comment

The Bible says:
                              John 10:10:
                              The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance [to the full, till it overflows].

Does God the Father, Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit have sympathy for the devil? Should we have sympathy for the devil?

Comment