Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Jacob's Polygamy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacob's Polygamy

Why multiple wives?

Link

-------

Where did Jacob’s troubles begin? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Jacob is the patriarch who embraced polygamy. To be fair, he was kind of tricked into it, but still, he had more than one wife. Unfortunately, as we go through the story, we will see that this leads to trouble for Jacob. After all, some siblings of his will not get along with others and considering they call different women, “Mom” that could explain some of it.

For the positives, it looks like when Jacob comes in at one point, Rachel has borrowed some mandrakes from Leah to increase fertility for herself and says Leah can sleep with Jacob tonight in exchange. Thus, one can understand that it looks like Jacob knew that when he came home that evening, he’d be sleeping with someone.

It wasn’t just Rachel and Leah. They also gave their female servants to Jacob to sleep with to continue their family line. Thus, four different women in the text become mothers and all do so through Jacob.

One reason for this is that Leah was being neglected by Jacob because he had a greater love for Rachel. As a result, God allowed Leah to get pregnant more often and closed the womb of Rachel. Leah is the one who in the end provides Jacob with half of his sons and has a daughter as well.

Still, polygamy is one of those practices that never seems to end well for those involved in Scripture. Rachel always carries a position of the favorite and thus, her children carry positions of favor with Jacob as well. As we go through the history of Jacob and his family, we will see this play out more and more. In the account of the birth of most of Jacob’s children, you find some squabbling taking place and if this was the worst of the effects of polygamy, there wouldn’t be much of a case, but later on, we’ll see more.

It’s also worth noting that Jacob’s brother, Esau, also had married multiple women and they were a source of grief to Rebekkah. Esau’s solution was not to get rid of them, but to marry another woman he thought his mother would approve of. Later on in Israelite history, getting rid of wives that are outside of the covenant would be more necessary.

Thus, aside from perhaps Pharaoh and Abimelech who have harems in Genesis, Lamech, Esau, and Jacob are the only ones I can think of at least that have multiple wives. We don’t know enough about the inner workings of those other families to speak about them, but we do know enough about Jacob.

Polygamy was one of those borderline practices God tolerated in the Old Testament, but in the time of the new covenant, He was much stricter on. Most Jews at the time of Jesus were highly monogamous. Paul will later write that an elder needs to be the husband of one wife and yes, we will look at that passage a lot more when we get there.

For now, just know Jacob has rough times coming ahead.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

If I could, I would have multiple wives. It's unlikely to happen I know, in this culture. But in my mind, I have no qualms about it. I can imagine such a thing as functional polygamy, where everyone just gets along, takes care of one another, and functions as a unit. To be honest though, I am thinking of a Harem of Beautiful Women. That's pretty much the same thing right? Again, not that I am pursuing that, but in my mind...yeah, I would be down.

I know that Paul says something about having only one wife. Is there any other biblical command other than him?

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
      If I could, I would have multiple wives. It's unlikely to happen I know, in this culture. But in my mind, I have no qualms about it. I can imagine such a thing as functional polygamy, where everyone just gets along, takes care of one another, and functions as a unit. To be honest though, I am thinking of a Harem of Beautiful Women. That's pretty much the same thing right? Again, not that I am pursuing that, but in my mind...yeah, I would be down.

I know that Paul says something about having only one wife. Is there any other biblical command other than him?
      Jesus's answer to the Pharisees assumes that once the man and the woman come together, the cycle is complete. No further input is needed as it would treat the first as if they were insufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

Jesus's answer to the Pharisees assumes that once the man and the woman come together, the cycle is complete. No further input is needed as it would treat the first as if they were insufficient.
        Well that puts the Kabbash on that!

Comment