Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On Simone Biles and Mental Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Simone Biles and Mental Illness

How does the church handle this?

Link

-------

What do I think of the church’s treatment of mental illness? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

So now the internet is erupting with talk about Simone Biles stepping down at the Olympics. I see some people who I respect saying what she did is shallow and egotistical. I also see people who I respect saying that she stepped down for her own mental health and that’s commendable. Which side is right? I have no way of knowing. I also suspect that they don’t know on either side, but I figure I can talk about what I do know about, and that is my own struggles at times on the Autism spectrum.

Keep in mind when I say this, that while I realize that there are struggles at times, I do genuinely enjoy my life and I think my “disability” for lack of a better word, gives me advantages overall. If there was a cure developed, I genuinely would not want it. I also say that realizing that not all people on the spectrum are the same. Some would be greatly benefited by a cure.

However, I do want to speak on the downsides some of being on the spectrum. The biggest way is obviously in my relationships with other people. It is difficult for me to interact with people I don’t know very well and social situations can be a danger for me. I realize this is also my own fault in many ways as I have to work to overcome this, but it is a struggle nonetheless.

Consider a few years ago at a church party. Here I was with people I knew and I was fine sitting on the couch by myself reading something while everyone else was having a meal. I generally do not like meal situations. Even when I go to my own Sunday School class evening groups, I don’t eat anything. Anyway, Allie insisted that I eat something so I went and got some chips.

Shortly after the hostess saw me as I was standing in the kitchen having some chips and came up to me and said “You’re eating something! I’m so happy!” I froze immediately. Allie was next to me and laughed some at it as she thought I was joking, but then she stopped laughing. She could tell I wasn’t joking. This was an extremely difficult experience for me and I cannot explain why. I can just say that for the rest of the evening, I just wanted to leave and go home and I was miserable for a few days. I did work it out with the hostess knowing she didn’t mean any harm, but that’s a difficulty.

Last night, I was writing something in my own personal work about being in high school. What do most high school boys think about but girls? I wasn’t an exception. I had a great interest in several of them, but ask them out? Nope. I had no idea how to do that. If approaching someone I didn’t know well or even knew well to ask a difficult request was hard, how do you approach someone like a girl you’re interested in and ask them out? I had no idea.

Eventually, when I went to Bible College, I was enrolled for some time after graduation in the Master’s program and at an event for students in the program, we all went to the president’s place there. Most brought their spouses and I brought my own parents. Someone asked me, “Nick. How did you get through here without getting married?”

Thanks for asking.

Even in one of my areas of expertise, gaming, I can still have a struggle. I thoroughly enjoy playing Final Fantasy XIV with friends, and if you play also let me know and we can be friends there too, but when I am with players I don’t know, it is still a social aspect. I wonder if I am doing the right thing or not. Am I contributing to the team or am I holding us back? If I think I am being scolded, it is difficult.

People also assume many times that I am intentionally rude on the spectrum. I recall one time doing a cashier job and a lady said something like “Have a good day, even though you are not nice at all.”

What did I do?

The best I can figure is I don’t talk to people like everyone else does. I struggle with eye contact and especially after a long day of working, my social batteries would be dead. It becomes a strain to interact with people like that. For many people, I suspect looking at someone in the eyes is perfectly natural and makes sense. For me, I have to intentionally tell myself to look someone in the eye.

Here’s something that strikes me about this. I am told I am not nice at all, but with no reason. If someone really thought that, wouldn’t the nice thing to be to say why that is and give something that needs to be improved on? I am thought rude for not doing social customs instinctively. Isn’t it more rude to assume that I am just like you? As I have said before, no one would go up to someone in a wheelchair and challenge them to a foot race. I have a disability as well, but mine is invisible, which is a downside. There is no glowing message above my head saying “Autism Spectrum Disorder!” The closest I have is a bracelet for Autism Awareness that I wear, but anyone not on the spectrum could wear that.

I recently had someone who I had had some difficulties with in a group I am in and it was causing me great anxiety as I didn’t know how to bring about a conversation. Fortunately, I prayed and I do believe God answered the prayer in a great opportunity presented itself. We ended up talking for about two hours on the matter as I pointed out matters I thought were inconsistent, rightly or wrongly, and how it was deeply affecting me. My friend apologized profusely not realizing what was going on with me and things are much better.

Here is a problem I can have in group discussions. I want to contribute, but also at times I get so caught up in my own excitement on a topic that I lose sight of how others are seeing it. You mean not everyone else is as excited as I am to talk about something like divine simplicity or the evidence for the resurrection or dealing with the problem of evil or any number of subjects? I have been accused before of trying to take over a small group because I just go on and on so much.

It’s really just wanting to be accepted and make a contribution.

When people go on and on about their personal feelings with God, I’m out of the loop. Personal feelings and emotions don’t make much sense to me. In the past, I had even doubted my own salvation because of this, but thankfully, I am for the most part past that now. Still, I cannot relate when people talk about this. This doesn’t mean I never have joy in God, but my joy comes more from an academic approach and learning something about God.

Yet like everyone else, I have many of the same basic needs. I have a need to be loved and to be encouraged and accepted. It’s one reason I treasure my friends that I have. You can always say your family loves you because they’re family, but friends are different. I am amazed that I have people who seem to genuinely enjoy my company and I’m always just wanting to do something to contribute.

To go back to the lady who said I wasn’t nice at all, anyone who knows me really would know that that’s not true. If I see someone in a need, I want to do everything that I can in my power to help them. I don’t have to know them. I have a strong sense of justice. When I have been at a job and seen one of my co-workers get yelled at by someone, I want to go over and see if they’re okay and offer an ear if they need it. How can I do that? Because that doesn’t really require me revealing my own self or making my own self vulnerable. I just have to listen to someone else and I can usually do that.

It’s also one reason I hate the question of “How are you?” People say it, but they make no attempt to have a relationship with me or call me or contact me by some other means during the week to see how I am doing. It tells me it’s just being polite and not really caring about the answer, which really isn’t polite when I think about it.

I don’t know why Simone Biles stepped out of the event she was performing in. I don’t know if it was selfish or selfless. i do know that the church has a lot of work to do on mental illnesses. I know that until you have been in the other person’s shoes, you really can’t understand. It’s why I’m not saying anything either way on what Simone did. I don’t understand and I’m not in her shoes, I can tell you my experience and what being in my shoes is like and if some of what I think here is wrong, I cannot be wrong on one aspect. It is what I really think.

When you meet that person out there who doesn’t seem to do what you think they should, it is true they could be a jerk, but it could be because of very valid reasons. It could be a struggle. Perhaps they are rude, or perhaps the rude one is the one looking at someone in a wheelchair and expecting them to walk like everyone else. The difference is my wheelchair is a social one.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

Three thoughts:

A) Being a champion at anything and in the glare of the spotlight is incredibly taxing both physically and mentally. Not everyone is cut out for it.

2. It has only been in the past few decades that we've finally started treating mental health issues seriously and we still have a good ways to go.

c- She is right to value her health and well-being over fleeting fame.

IV: I'll be praying for her

OK, that was four things, but maths are of da debil.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The issue with Biles is not so much mental illness but that she had lost her concentration and sense of location. With a gymnast, this is a recipe for a broken neck.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think you make a good point about how unfair it is to judge others when you don't know everything about them, and how tempting it is to do so anyway.

With regard to Simone Biles in particular, I don't find it at all difficult to give her the benefit of the doubt. Having some idea of how hard and how long she worked to get there, I can see that it must have been very difficult for her to drop out of the competition, and I seriously doubt that she would do so without good reason. For that matter, her accomplishments alone should convince anyone that she is not the sort of person to drop out without good reason. And two very good reasons have been put forward. The obvious one is that it would have been extremely unsafe for her to continue, but it also seems likely that she would not have been able to do as well as the person who replaced her, thereby jeopardizing her team's chances for a medal. In that light, her decision seems exceptionally mature and unselfish.

Comment

The way Biles has been treated over the last few years, I don't blame her one bit for stepping down and refusing to perform/compete. The woman is freaking amazing and can do things that no other gymnast can do. Yet, rather than acknowledging her skill, they seek to hamper her, grading her lower than she deserves because they don't think it is fair to the other competitors for her to be so much better than them. Why should she bother when they penalize her and try to drag her down rather than lift her up? At least she is sticking around to support her team mates.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...od/3866255002/

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            The issue with Biles is not so much mental illness but that she had lost her concentration and sense of location. With a gymnast, this is a recipe for a broken neck.
            Everything I've seen and heard has definitely framed it as a mental health issue, based on her statement when she withdrew, "I have to focus on my mental health."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              The way Biles has been treated over the last few years, I don't blame her one bit for stepping down and refusing to perform/compete. The woman is freaking amazing and can do things that no other gymnast can do. Yet, rather than acknowledging her skill, they seek to hamper her, grading her lower than she deserves because they don't think it is fair to the other competitors for her to be so much better than them. Why should she bother when they penalize her and try to drag her down rather than lift her up? At least she is sticking around to support her team mates.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...od/3866255002/
              I don't follow gymnastics, but prior to the Olympics I heard her described as perhaps the greatest Olympic gymnast ever.

Comment

When I was young, I was into gymnastics and dance. I can speak that one misstep is a fall, a break, a tear. Their are a few cruel people comparing Simone Biles to Kerri Strug. I think it was because of Kerri Strug and a few others that Simone Biles was able to say “I can’t”. 25 years ago, 50 percent of elite gymnasts suffered in ways unimaginable for the sport. We mostly recognize now as a public that self abuse ultimately does a gymnast no good anymore. I for one am immensely proud that when I put my girls in dance or tumbling we might luck out and not have coaches and instructors obsessed with their bodies but rather obsessed with how good they are at what they do.
                Something else comes to mind; part of being a good athlete is knowing when your body and mind have had enough. If we make this allowance as a society then we make an allowance to have a generation of athletes that can perform strongly; and well past what would be considered their “prime”.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's probably easier to just say mental health than to explain the life threatening risk of gymnastics stunts when not at 100%.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    It's probably easier to just say mental health than to explain the life threatening risk of gymnastics stunts when not at 100%.
                    Yes, I've assumed this is what she means. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Mental health issues can impair concentration.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A few of the guys over at Daily Wire have jumped on her for being a selfish quitter, and have jumped even harder on those who are not just sympathetic toward her, but are literally celebrating her "courage." IMO, she opened herself up to that sort of criticism by her choice of words, particularly that she was not having "fun."
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Three thoughts:

A) Being a champion at anything and in the glare of the spotlight is incredibly taxing both physically and mentally. Not everyone is cut out for it.

2. It has only been in the past few decades that we've finally started treating mental health issues seriously and we still have a good ways to go.

c- She is right to value her health and well-being over fleeting fame.

IV: I'll be praying for her

OK, that was four things, but maths are of da debil.
                        Who, on God's green earth, taught you how to numericalize things?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yep.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            A few of the guys over at Daily Wire have jumped on her for being a selfish quitter, and have jumped even harder on those who are not just sympathetic toward her, but are literally celebrating her "courage." IMO, she opened herself up to that sort of criticism by her choice of words, particularly that she was not having "fun."
                            It's a sad state of how addicted people are to political tribalism that everything has to be a political hot potato. Most of these people probably weren't even watching the Olympics.

She has confirmed what I was saying earlier (based on paywalled stuff from National Review I couldn't link to then): https://www.npr.org/sections/tokyo-o...hat-that-means In particular, the phenomenon of "the twisties" was preventing her from competing. Perhaps less would have been more in regards to how she originally explained it, especially with "mental health" becoming a rather overarching term (I'm thinking of one NBA star who took excessive "mental health days" off during this last season, including one where he was seen partying at a club that night during the game).
                            Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-30-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

It's a sad state of how addicted people are to political tribalism that everything has to be a political hot potato. Most of these people probably weren't even watching the Olympics.

She has confirmed what I was saying earlier (based on paywalled stuff from National Review I couldn't link to then): https://www.npr.org/sections/tokyo-o...hat-that-means In particular, the phenomenon of "the twisties" was preventing her from competing. Perhaps less would have been more in regards to how she originally explained it, especially with "mental health" becoming a rather overarching term (I'm thinking of one NBA star who took excessive "mental health days" off during this last season, including one where he was seen partying at a club that night during the game).
                              It's a weird phenomenon to observe. On Fox News, everyone that I recall commenting has been sympathetic to her, while at Daily Wire it's pretty much the opposite; both are generally conservative.

And yeah, "mental health days" as a term has become like "racism." It's so overused, that many people can't take it seriously and reflexively dismiss it. Plus there's always been the issue that it is not a *visible* injury or illness.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment