Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On Simone Biles and Mental Illness

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

    It's a weird phenomenon to observe. On Fox News, everyone that I recall commenting has been sympathetic to her, while at Daily Wire it's pretty much the opposite; both are generally conservative.

    And yeah, "mental health days" as a term has become like "racism." It's so overused, that many people can't take it seriously and reflexively dismiss it. Plus there's always been the issue that it is not a *visible* injury or illness.
    I'm going to disagree that it is overused. In my experience mental health isn't talked about enough, and because it is an "invisible" problem people often dismiss it with any other disability that isn't blatantly obvious.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

      It's a weird phenomenon to observe. On Fox News, everyone that I recall commenting has been sympathetic to her, while at Daily Wire it's pretty much the opposite; both are generally conservative.

      And yeah, "mental health days" as a term has become like "racism." It's so overused, that many people can't take it seriously and reflexively dismiss it. Plus there's always been the issue that it is not a *visible* injury or illness.
      In retrospect, she should have mentioned "the twisties" from the start. But she might have felt that it would be difficult, and possibly embarrassing, to explain. So it became a 'mental' issue. Turns out, it's awfully hard not to feel sympathetic once you hear the details.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

        I'm going to disagree that it is overused. In my experience mental health isn't talked about enough, and because it is an "invisible" problem people often dismiss it with any other disability that isn't blatantly obvious.
        It may have been more accurate for me to have said "misused". That would apply to the example of the basketball player I mentioned in my post.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

          I'm going to disagree that it is overused. In my experience mental health isn't talked about enough, and because it is an "invisible" problem people often dismiss it with any other disability that isn't blatantly obvious.
          Maybe you haven't heard many people laughingly say things like "I'm taking a 'mental health day' tomorrow."
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

          Beige Nationalist.

          "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

          Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

            I'm going to disagree that it is overused. In my experience mental health isn't talked about enough, and because it is an "invisible" problem people often dismiss it with any other disability that isn't blatantly obvious.
            At one place I worked "mental health day" meant that the boss was going fishing. Seriously.

            I'm always still in trouble again

            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

              It may have been more accurate for me to have said "misused". That would apply to the example of the basketball player I mentioned in my post.
              That was a response to NorrinRadd, but I do think a case for misuse is definitely there.

              Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

              Maybe you haven't heard many people laughingly say things like "I'm taking a 'mental health day' tomorrow."
              I have not. I'll just have to add that to the pile of evidence that mental health isn't being taken seriously enough.

              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              At one place I worked "mental health day" meant that the boss was going fishing. Seriously.

              While taking breaks is often something needed to help with someone's mental health, that definitely seems to be an abuse of the term.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post



                While taking breaks is often something needed to help with someone's mental health, that definitely seems to be an abuse of the term.
                He was a serious fisherman. He competed in various tournaments all the time and when things were slow would go fishing (practice).

                I'm always still in trouble again

                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  He was a serious fisherman. He competed in various tournaments all the time and when things were slow would go fishing (practice).
                  I've only ever done one "official" tournament, and I would have gotten third place if some people there hadn't cheated. I did a different one organized by a person I know who owns their own lake, I came in first in nearly every category there. It certainly helped me fund getting a new PC.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

                    I've only ever done one "official" tournament, and I would have gotten third place if some people there hadn't cheated. I did a different one organized by a person I know who owns their own lake, I came in first in nearly every category there. It certainly helped me fund getting a new PC.
                    You have a new politically correct? How does it compare with the old one?
                    sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by tabibito View Post

                      You have a new politically correct? How does it compare with the old one?
                      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

                      Oh it's much better, it just immediately declares you not politically correct before you even do or say anything.




                      In reality it was just a new personal computer, primarily for gaming. It took a while to save up for, but it's a pretty decent rig. Barring something like an essential part breaking it should last a while.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by tabibito View Post

                        You have a new politically correct? How does it compare with the old one?
                        smiley facepalm.gif

                        Um, Tab? I need to talk to you in private for just a sec.


                        Yeah, over here.



                        This is fine.
                        smiley Overkill 2.gif

                        Clean up on Aisle 4.

                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment

                        Related Threads

                        Collapse

                        Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Apologiaphoenix, 09-16-2021, 09:01 AM
                        1 response
                        42 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Sparko
                        by Sparko
                         
                        Started by Apologiaphoenix, 09-15-2021, 09:03 AM
                        1 response
                        28 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Christianbookworm  
                        Started by Apologiaphoenix, 09-14-2021, 08:34 AM
                        1 response
                        33 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Esther
                        by Esther
                         
                        Started by Apologiaphoenix, 09-13-2021, 10:37 AM
                        0 responses
                        20 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Apologiaphoenix  
                        Started by Apologiaphoenix, 09-10-2021, 09:08 AM
                        0 responses
                        26 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Apologiaphoenix  
                        Working...
                        X