Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Napoleon's Hemorrhoids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: Napoleon's Hemorrhoids.

What does it matter what Napoleon's health was?

Link

------

What do I think of Phil Mason’s book published by Skyhorse publishing? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I will get back to Simplicity soon, but for now, I wanted to review this book I finished over the weekend. I enjoy reading about little oddities in history and this book is full of them. It’s my goal then to tell some that I really liked and give some thoughts from a Christian perspective.

At the start, Mason says that the reason we have civilization today is beer. We have an old Sumerian recipe for beer and that recipe caused people to stop and work on agriculture instead of being hunters and gatherers. After all, they wanted more beer. If this theory is accurate, then the reason we are on the internet today and I am writing and you are reading is because some people once wanted to drink beer. Incredible.

It has also been theorized that another drink helped save civilization. That is the sacred drink of tea. The Industrial Revolution took off in Britain according to this because people had to gather together and often, the water wasn’t the best, but tea contains enough health benefits that it could be used. No other nation had the Industrial Revolution take off so if this is so, tea has done our world a great service.

Now with many of these, from a Christian perspective, you could argue that God was orchestrating some events. That could be so, but I hesitate to say such a thing. After all, I have presented some positive events. What happens if I present negative events, and there are several of those.

Let’s start with the fact that starlings are in America because Shakespeare wrote Henry the IV. Yes. There was a man in America who wanted to bring every bird mentioned in Shakespeare to America and since Shakespeare referred to the starling one time in that play, 100 starlings were brought over and they have been a problem to our American ecosystem ever since. The same happened in Australia as a man wanted to hunt rabbits so he brought some over and now Australia has a problem with the rabbit population.

At Lincoln’s second inauguration, there was a young man who broke through the ranks and almost got to the president. He was stopped and restrained because the police thought he was really harmless and so they let him go. Want to know what happened to him? I’ll just tell you his name was John Wilkes Booth.

Why did the Battle of Gettysburg take place in the Civil War? It wasn’t planned, but one army leader heard a story about shoes being on sale in a town and his troops needed shoes. The journey to get them was seen as hostile by the other side and thus began a major battle that took place and could have changed the tide of the war, all because someone wanted shoes for his troops.

One example that should definitely give us pause in saying God is behind some events is Hitler. Mason lists numerous times that there were assassination plots against Hitler and at the last moment, something changed in Hitler’s plans and he avoided assassination every time. It was also through a quirk circumstance he describes that Mengele avoided capture as well.

This is the danger of many of my fellow Christians when we often try to read into history, including our personal history. We often like to try to read what we think God is doing in every situation in our lives. I have said before that it would be awesome if we Christians spent as much time trying to interpret Scripture rightly as we do trying to interpret our experiences rightly.

On the other hand, this book is informative, but it’s also fun. You can read about how some actors in Hollywood got big breaks through chance events. About the only topic I didn’t really get into was the one on sports since I didn’t understand a lot of the analogies.

People who like history should get this book and go through it. Each chapter contains several bite-sized section that would take at the most a couple of minutes to read. These will also be great conversation pieces to make any group gathering interesting and leave you looking really informed as well.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

At the start, Mason says that the reason we have civilization today is beer. We have an old Sumerian recipe for beer and that recipe caused people to stop and work on agriculture instead of being hunters and gatherers. After all, they wanted more beer. If this theory is accurate, then the reason we are on the internet today and I am writing and you are reading is because some people once wanted to drink beer. Incredible.
    Skipping over the obvious jokes that come to mind concerning the thread's title, it could be argued that the initial manufacturing of beer had far more to do with basic survival than just wanting a buzz after a hard day's work.

Beer is essentially liquid bread with a kick. It is rich in energy, portable and is far less susceptible to spoilage than the grains that they were made from. Moreover, it has a far lower pathogenic load than water in a pre-modern environments.

All of this means is that drinking beer allowed people to get nutritional value from food stuffs subject to spoiling or more difficult to transport which was incredibly invaluable back in the times of regular food shortages.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not one to skip the obvious jokes: It is apparently safe to assume Nappy was fueled by 'rhoid rage. (Well, that and all the jokes about his last name.)
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        I'm not one to skip the obvious jokes: It is apparently safe to assume Nappy was fueled by 'rhoid rage. (Well, that and all the jokes about his last name.)
        You just gotta be a real pain in the butt dontcha?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You just gotta be a real pain in the butt dontcha?

Just can't resist a good wise-crack.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Just can't resist a good wise-crack.
            I understand that it didn't sit well with you, but that's no reason to get butt-hurt over it.

Comment

Actually, Napoleon could have lost at Waterloo because he had hemorrhoids that day. It was very difficult for him to get on his horse and give out orders and he even started the battle late that day.

Comment

Actually, Napoleon could have lost at Waterloo because he had hemorrhoids that day. It was very difficult for him to get on his horse and give out orders and he even started the battle late that day.
                I'll bet you were just itching to post that.

Napoleon lost at Waterloo for a number of reasons without ever having to add hemorrhoids to the list.

Comment

Fascinating!!! Gotta get a copy of that book, Nick.

Here’s a few personal family additions that could well have been added to that book. My husband is a direct descendent of a soldier that was in the original Jamestown settlement. A street in that original site was named after him. I’ve seen a copy of the map with the layout of the original Jamestown. He went with Captain John Smith (of Pocahontas fame) during two trips up the river from Jamestown, to explore the various Native American camps. Unfortunately, he also became the first one to shoot an Indian on one of those trips. One could say that my husband’s relative could be blamed for the beginning of the extinction of many Native American tribes.

Another one of my husband’s direct male ancestors was a personal physician to Thomas Jefferson, and treated that man’s case of syphilis (probably after his stay in France). Guess that male relative of my husband’s preserved the health of Thomas Jefferson so that his contributions to the establishment of America as a nation could go forward. How many living today could say that their ancestor, quite literally, (ahem, cough cough) held the future of America in their hands?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Resurrections View Post
                    Fascinating!!! Gotta get a copy of that book, Nick.

Here’s a few personal family additions that could well have been added to that book. My husband is a direct descendent of a soldier that was in the original Jamestown settlement. A street in that original site was named after him. I’ve seen a copy of the map with the layout of the original Jamestown. He went with Captain John Smith (of Pocahontas fame) during two trips up the river from Jamestown, to explore the various Native American camps. Unfortunately, he also became the first one to shoot an Indian on one of those trips. One could say that my husband’s relative could be blamed for the beginning of the extinction of many Native American tribes.

Another one of my husband’s direct male ancestors was a personal physician to Thomas Jefferson, and treated that man’s case of syphilis (probably after his stay in France). Guess that male relative of my husband’s preserved the health of Thomas Jefferson so that his contributions to the establishment of America as a nation could go forward. How many living today could say that their ancestor, quite literally, (ahem, cough cough) held the future of America in their hands?
                    Don't blame your husband's ancestor. Diseases that people in the Americas had no immunity for wiped out far more indigenous people than bullets ever even came close to doing.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Don't blame your husband's ancestor. Diseases that people in the Americas had no immunity for wiped out far more indigenous people than bullets ever even came close to doing.
                      I blame Jaltus instead.

Comment

I blame Jaltus instead.
                        In honor of this thread maybe we should blame only a particular part of him (assuming he has/had em)

Comment