Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Autism Awareness Month Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Resurrections
    replied
    Thank you both for commenting...

I think the cynicism comes from their family having some very negative experiences in a couple mega-churches they used to attend when their boys were very young. My daughter was in tears yesterday talking to me about him. "I can't change what's going on in his head", she said. "Until something switches in there, there's nothing I can say that will help". She is absolutely right about needing something "switched" in his head, and that would be Jesus entering his life. But she, too, is also cynical about the hypocritical religious atmosphere that they came from, so I don't think she realizes that Jesus really is the only hope to get her son out of his gloom-and-doom outlook about virtually everything. Jesus can heal ANY obsession, you are right about that, Sparko.

Nick, you asked if he reads any literature on religion or Christianity. None at all that I'm aware of. Reading is a grinding chore for him which he avoids at all costs, regardless of the book's theme. He DOES like to help me out with my house renovation and landscape projects and walking my neighbor's dog which he loves, if it is just him and me together. Even though he does plenty of complaining while we are doing it, I don't give him any slack to be lazy, and plenty of encouragement for anything he accomplishes. The special school aide that came to their house for a parent-teacher conference with him asked him what he liked to do for fun. Of all things, he mentioned working with me in yard cleanup, mowing, and shoveling landscape materials as something he enjoyed, so maybe I have a very tiny sphere of influence that I could build on. I've got this really cute video of him using a sledgehammer on breaking up our entire asphalt driveway - which he unexpectedly got a real kick out of doing with me.

I've got to think out of the box on this one, aside from praying for them, which I do....Maybe if something happens to my husband with his health issues, an opportunity might open up for a conversation with our grandson about our faith. I would love to hear about anyone else's success (or even failure) at evangelism with Autistic young people. They are no different than anyone else in needing a Savior. It is very comforting to read scriptures of how Christ met people at whatever state they were in, and dealt very personally with their own situation and their need of Him.

Leave a comment:

• Apologiaphoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Resurrections View Post
    Hi Nick,

I am so very glad to have found this website and particularly your corner of service here. Especially since you freely express your views as coming from the Autism / Aspergers spectrum. I do have a question for you, since I am a grandmother of a young, mid-teen grandson that is high-functioning also. This grandson is not a believer, and my daughter and son-in-law are raising their sons with an open-ended permission for these boys to more or less "find their own way" in the faith. This is not working. The young boy I am especially concerned about who is autistic is completely cynical about anything to do with religion at all. He is immersed in gaming on his cell phone, and would eagerly turn into a basement recluse if allowed. A pessimistic, sour attitude seems to pervade his entire outlook on life in general. "People suck" is the basic mindset. He is also petrified of the subject of death of any kind. Animal, or human - he goes into complete meltdowns when the "Big D" is brought up. The onset of the whole covid thing has only exacerbated this. His mom has had to go to great lengths to reassure him that his attendance at school will NOT kill his most beloved teacher by infecting him. We are talking gut-wrenching weeping on this subject. He is really phobic about this. And I hope he wouldn't mind if he knew I was mentioning him online, because I do care about my young grandson so very much.

My question would be, what are some evangelistic tools or approaches that are effective with speaking to Autistic children about their need for a Savior? Especially for a young boy who abhors the very mention of the word "death", which sends him off in a mental tailspin where he can't think reasonably? I know very well that there is no "one-size-fits-all" way to go about this, but if you don't mind sharing, what was it that turned the light bulb on for you? I know all the right "words", but when Autism enters the picture, all those pat "words" just aren't going to cut it. Any suggestions?
    If he was open I could talk to him. I'm into games as well after all. Is he open to reading any literature on the topic of religion and specifically Christianity?

Do you know why he is so cynical?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Resurrections View Post
    Hi Nick,

I am so very glad to have found this website and particularly your corner of service here. Especially since you freely express your views as coming from the Autism / Aspergers spectrum. I do have a question for you, since I am a grandmother of a young, mid-teen grandson that is high-functioning also. This grandson is not a believer, and my daughter and son-in-law are raising their sons with an open-ended permission for these boys to more or less "find their own way" in the faith. This is not working. The young boy I am especially concerned about who is autistic is completely cynical about anything to do with religion at all. He is immersed in gaming on his cell phone, and would eagerly turn into a basement recluse if allowed. A pessimistic, sour attitude seems to pervade his entire outlook on life in general. "People suck" is the basic mindset. He is also petrified of the subject of death of any kind. Animal, or human - he goes into complete meltdowns when the "Big D" is brought up. The onset of the whole covid thing has only exacerbated this. His mom has had to go to great lengths to reassure him that his attendance at school will NOT kill his most beloved teacher by infecting him. We are talking gut-wrenching weeping on this subject. He is really phobic about this. And I hope he wouldn't mind if he knew I was mentioning him online, because I do care about my young grandson so very much.

My question would be, what are some evangelistic tools or approaches that are effective with speaking to Autistic children about their need for a Savior? Especially for a young boy who abhors the very mention of the word "death", which sends him off in a mental tailspin where he can't think reasonably? I know very well that there is no "one-size-fits-all" way to go about this, but if you don't mind sharing, what was it that turned the light bulb on for you? I know all the right "words", but when Autism enters the picture, all those pat "words" just aren't going to cut it. Any suggestions?
    Christ gives us assurance that death is not the end, but the beginning. A transition from mortal to immortal. Maybe Christianity could give him comfort with his obsession?

O, Death, Where is thy sting?

Leave a comment:

• 3 Resurrections
    replied
    Hi Nick,

Leave a comment:

• Apologiaphoenix
    started a topic Autism Awareness Month Introduction

Autism Awareness Month Introduction

Welcome to our world.

Link

--------

What does this month mean? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This month is Autism Awareness Month so I would like to contribute much of this month to what it’s like to be a Christian apologist on the spectrum. I could hold off on any other posts, including book plunges, until next month. It all depends on how the month goes.

While I am writing from personal experience, I am not a psychologist or a doctor or something of that sort. My experience is my own. Please do not assume that because this is the way that I am, this is the way that someone else on the spectrum will be.

I do say this is the experience of an apologist on the spectrum, but not everything in my life is apologetics. I will tell how I relate to other areas in my life. How do I relate to the people around me, including friends and family? How do I respond to people I don’t know? What about my personal hobbies apart from doing apologetics?

I also want to stress that I am listed as high-functioning. There are plenty of people on the spectrum that are what we call non-verbal. As someone who has done live debates and talks on the subject of Christianity, I am definitely not one of them.

I also need to point out that we live in a victim culture. People seem to delight in being victims. I do give advice on how people who care can do matters differently, but I am not trying to demand that all of society change to meet my needs. That is not realistic.

Not only that, but I have consistently refused to be a victim. I believe in being an overcomer more than in being a victim of those around me. I do realize that some people need special care and that is something different.

Also, I am considering doing YouTube videos on this this month. Keep in mind that where I am at now, my microphone and webcam are not hooked up yet so it is my plan to just use my phone. I have never done that before, so we will see how it goes. The other option is if someone wanted to do Zoom interviews with me on this, and yes, I am available for podcasts this month.

I look forward to how this month will go. We’ll see what all we can cover. I hope you’ll walk out with a new appreciation of the world of Autism and Aspergers.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Support my Patreon here.