Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Autism Awareness Month Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

No, they don't equal each other. However they do have some overlap, and are often comorbid. Only one on my list with definite OCD is Monk.
    I think it only counts towards Asperger's if it is an obsession with MLP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I think it only counts towards Asperger's if it is an obsession with MLP.

I know this post is a joke, but I do want to clarify that "obsession" or a "special interest" is one of the diagnostic criteria for autism. From the DSM-V* "Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests)". You don't need to have that to have autism, but it is extremely common to have it. Under this definition anything can be a special interest.

*The CDC lists the rest of the criteria here.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        I don't see Sheldon as a slap in the face. He's the character that is most loved on the show even if at times the most annoying, but he's also the one with the greatest character development up to the very end of the show.
        I agree, even if I didn't get to see all of the episodes he definitely shows the most character development in the episodes I did see. He's probably my favorite character.

Comment

Thanks for this thread, Nick.

I think I may (possibly) be very low on the spectrum, and I have worked with some students who are most likely Autistic - it's not well recognised or diagnosed here. On the plus side, people with those kinds of issues are usually treated kindly and not bullied by their peers, even if they're not really understood.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            Thanks for this thread, Nick.

I think I may (possibly) be very low on the spectrum, and I have worked with some students who are most likely Autistic - it's not well recognised or diagnosed here. On the plus side, people with those kinds of issues are usually treated kindly and not bullied by their peers, even if they're not really understood.
            There is a comic here that explains what many mean by "on the spectrum". For a short explanation, it's not a linear scale from a little bit, to severely autistic. It's more like a color wheel in has a multitude of different wavelengths of varying intensity. One person at that link describes it in the comments as "a color wheel shot with a shotgun, with each person having their own constellation of traits". From everything I've been reading it seems the only thing that is truly "low" or "high" is the amount of support needs an autistic person might need. That ranges from living on your own just fine, all the way to needing help 24/7. Usually if you have higher support needs it is due to something comorbid with autism, rather than autism on its own.

It is certainly good to hear they are usually treated kindly. Not being understood still comes with a lot of problems on its own. The best that can be done in that case is to try and increase understanding. Which is definitely easier said than done.

Comment