Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Thoughts on the Lord's Supper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Lord's Supper

Are we really celebrating it?

Link

-------

Are we really observing the Lord’s Supper? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I have been to worship services at Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Churches. I could say the Mormon and JW churches as well, but I am focusing on churches that are orthodox, at least with a little o. In these churches, I have also seen the Lord’s Supper taken place. The closest I have seen to doing it right is an Indonesian Protestant Church that had a big meal after the service together, though I don’t remember if this was said to be the Lord’s Supper or not.

The problem for me is I have never seen anything that I think I could call the Lord’s Supper. At the Orthodox Church, I see someone coming up and taking some bread and being given a sip of the wine. I have been to high services in Protestant Churches where wine was used and I have seen the individualized services where you are given a wafer and a little thing of juice beforehand.

The main passage to go to is 1 Cor. 11.
    17 In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18 In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19 No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval. 20 So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21 for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. 22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? Certainly not in this matter!

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment. 32 Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

33 So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together. 34 Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

And when I come I will give further directions.

Notice that in this passage, Paul talks about some people going away hungry and some gorging themselves on the supper. Now I know I don’t eat as much as most people do, but I hardly think that the little bit that is given in churches today counts as a supper. It’s more like we’re having the snack of the Lord instead.

The sad part about this also is we spend so much time debating the nature of the bread itself, but few seem to focus on the fellowship aspect of this. I thought about this last night after seeing a New Testament scholar post about it on Facebook. The Lord’s Supper was not to be a single piece of bread or a wafer. It was meant to be a meal.

Now I am not one who cares for a group meal at all. However, I realize that many people fellowship over a meal together. Being on the spectrum, I would prefer to avoid that, but I know I’m outside the norm and should not be looking to my experiences here.

Yet what is Paul’s main concern in the text? It is that some people are being excluded and going home hungry. The rich don’t have to work much if at all and they can arrive and get the best of the best. Those who work arrive late and get very little if anything. The rich are then taking advantage of the table.

The main concern for Paul is not with what people believe about the elements.

The main concern for Paul is how they are treating their neighbor.

I seem to recall someone else rather prominent in the New Testament who has something to do with the Lord’s Supper saying something about how you treat your neighbor as well.

Maybe we should listen to Him.

This means the Lord’s Supper is meant to be that, an actual supper. Maybe it doesn’t take place in the evening, but it is to be a meal we are to have together. It is to get us to look at the people next to us and see brothers and sisters. C.S. Lewis even said apart from the sacrament, your neighbor is the most holy sight that you will see.

We can debate the nature of the elements all we want, but I would prefer we focus on what it looks like Paul is focusing on in the chapter, how we treat our neighbor. Are we treating them in love or not? Paul tells us to examine ourselves and it looks like that’s what he has in mind.

I encourage churches to start serving actual meals. The church had it as a meal. It might be more work and cost more, but it would be worth it and if everyone pitched in, that would help with our fellowship all the more.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Support my Patreon here.
    Last edited by Apologiaphoenix; 03-23-2021, 11:40 AM.

Yeah I think it has become stylized into a formal ceremony, but back when there were house churches, I think it was actually a fellowship meal, just like the passover feast was. Maybe the symbolization with a cracker and sip came about as a way to avoid what Paul is warning about, treating the Lord's Supper as a common meal and "free food"? And to handle larger crowds. Which maybe why we still have an Easter feast with our friends and family?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Yeah I think it has become stylized into a formal ceremony, but back when there were house churches, I think it was actually a fellowship meal, just like the passover feast was. Maybe the symbolization with a cracker and sip came about as a way to avoid what Paul is warning about, treating the Lord's Supper as a common meal and "free food"? And to handle larger crowds. Which maybe why we still have an Easter feast with our friends and family?
      Yeah, sometimes we do it on Wednesday night with a full meal, and the "third glass of wine" commences the communion service part.

Mostly though, we don't want the actual event to "get lost" in a meal - we want people to know that the actual focus is the "do this in remembrance" part.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, sometimes we do it on Wednesday night with a full meal, and the "third glass of wine" commences the communion service part.

Mostly though, we don't want the actual event to "get lost" in a meal - we want people to know that the actual focus is the "do this in remembrance" part.
        I liked the service at your church last week with the Seder ceremony and explanation.

Comment

I liked the service at your church last week with the Seder ceremony and explanation.
          And I like the fact that he is inviting my wife and myself for a personally guided tour of Israel for REALLY cheap!

But, yes, he did a great job. That's the second time he's been with us for that - the last time it was actually in our fellowship hall as part of an actual meal.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And I like the fact that he is inviting my wife and myself for a personally guided tour of Israel for REALLY cheap!

But, yes, he did a great job. That's the second time he's been with us for that - the last time it was actually in our fellowship hall as part of an actual meal.
            Question. He mentioned the pouch with three pouches in it (good imagery) and that the bread that they broke was in the middle pouch. What is in the other two?

Comment

Question. He mentioned the pouch with three pouches in it (good imagery) and that the bread that they broke was in the middle pouch. What is in the other two?
              One pouch - the Matzah-Tosh - with three compartments or pockets. The middle one is the Afikomen (the one that gets broken, hidden, then hunted, found, and eaten for dessert after the meal) and the other two compartments contain whole sheets of unbroken matzah, used for the meal (or not). I think, usually, the other two matzah sheets are simply ignored. Three identical sheets of matzah, the center one is broken.

In some Jewish thought, the three pieces represent Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - but why is "Isaac" broken (unless it represents he was bound on the altar)
              Another explanation is that the three pieces represent the People of Israel, the priests, and the Levites - but, again, why would the "priests" be broken?

Comment