Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Should God Reveal Himself To You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should God Reveal Himself To You?

Wouldn't God want you to know He exists?

Link

------------

Should you have to seek? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Suppose you met a young man who said he really wanted to get married. However, he also said he refused to go out and search for a wife. He refused to talk to any women he met. He even refused to go on any online dating sites. After all, if he is to be married, surely the right woman will just come along and choose him.

Or, suppose someone says they want to get a job. However, they refuse to go online to search for any jobs. They refuse to work on a resume. They refuse to go to any places of business and apply for a job. Do you really think they want a job?

Of course not. We would all question these claims. If you really want something, you are to go out and get it. Even in dating, while girls typically are the ones who are asked out, they at least do things to indicate that they are available and interested. (Granted though, many of us men are horrible at reading these signals.)

Yet so many internet skeptics approach this this same way. They ask if God has revealed Himself to them. I have encountered some like that this week, but it hasn’t been anything new. How many people have you heard say “God knows what it would take to convince me that He exists and He hasn’t done it. I guess He doesn’t exist.”

Some of you might think that sounds ridiculous. Some of you might even be skeptics of Christianity who agree that that’s ridiculous, which is commendable. However, some might be wondering “Why doesn’t God do that?”

I have written before that God is not a trivia question. The point assumes God just wants people to know that He exists. Why should anyone think that?

The analogy I often give is suppose you meet a husband who says he wants more sex. (Yeah. I know you all are really having to stretch your imagination.) His wife says, “Okay.” In the bedroom though, she shows no excitement or passion, doesn’t respond or get physically involved at all other than letting him do what he wants and then when he releases she says, “Okay. We’re done. I’m going to go watch TV now.”

Did the guy get what he wants? If you just go in a fully technical sense, yes, but no man would be satisfied. What he is really saying is he also wants his wife to want him. He doesn’t want to be a duty. He wants to be desired.

What a person who raises this claim about God is saying implicitly is “God is not worth seeking out. However, if He wants me, He needs to show me that He exists.” Such a person is automatically putting themselves above God as greater in importance. Why should God appear to such a person and enable them further in this way?”

The person who seeks though is the person who says, “This question is worth an answer.” They are saying “If God exists, He is worth knowing and I want to know that He is real.” I am convinced that if that person does seek, they will find. It’s a biblical promise. It is not a guarantee, but those who are diligent in their search will find.

Those who expect God to come to them can expect nothing and are really making a theological claim with no backing. God does not have any reason to show Himself to the proud. It’s the humble who receive grace, including Himself.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Support my Patreon here.

But isn't God wanting to save as many people as he can? If you were trying to spread a message, would you just sit at home waiting on people to seek you out before showing yourself to them? Or would you go out and knock on as many doors as you could? I think God does seek us out, just like Jesus went looking for the lost sheep. And we are part of that search, trying to bring God to them. To show God to them.

The problem isn't that God is waiting for people to look for him before he shows himself, but that people are HIDING from him, because they know if they "find" him, they will have to turn control over to him.

Comment

Our Church's motto, besides "it's all about Jesus" is --- sharing Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God.

Yeah, we're supposed to be spreading the message "as we go" (since we're going anyway)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Our Church's motto, besides "it's all about Jesus" is --- sharing Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God.

Yeah, we're supposed to be spreading the message "as we go" (since we're going anyway)
        Looking back before I became a Christian, I can see God seeking me out several times through various people and events in my life. In fact, him showing himself in the healing my father after he had a stroke and the doctors all said he would die, was central in me becoming a Christian. Mom's church elders came and anointed him with oil and prayed over him and he had a fast turnaround that shocked the doctors.

Comment