Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

A Big Problem With Presidential Debates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Problem With Presidential Debates

How can we change things?

Link

-------

What needs to be done to change the debates? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I’ve done debate before. Last year I debated Dan Barker on the existence of God. In many ways, I consider that debate more substantial than any presidential debate I have ever seen. I would say that about most debates I have seen on the topic of religion. Why is that?

I say this also as someone who enjoyed last night’s vice-presidential debate. I came in supporting Pence and on substance definitely, I think he won, but I also think he won on presentation and style. So this isn’t the case of someone saying “Last night’s debate was awful. Here’s what needs to be different” and having the reason because I don’t think my side did good. Now you can think Pence did terrible, and that’s fine, but let it be accepted that my thinking is not based on a disappointment and thus wanting to change the rules.

When Barker and I debated, we had a lengthy time to debate one question. Does God exist? After that, we then took live questions from the audience. If you have just one question and each of you has fifteen minutes at the start to make a case, you can make a substantive case.

So you sit down for last night’s debate and the first thing you hear is about 9 segments of ten minutes each. Sorry, but economic plans and matters related to climate change and abortion are not able to really be covered that substantially in just 10 minutes apiece.

Part of that is our culture has become a soundbite culture. We want an answer and we want it quick. If you want to give an economic plan, you need to be able to have time to explain why you think raising or cutting taxes will help and most people don’t read anything on economics to consider such a question.

What about health-care? Nope. You can’t really lay out a whole plan in that short amount of time. Not only that, we have to remember the other side has to have time to respond to that within a few minutes and then the original presenter needs to respond and wait, both of them are supposed to make a case in that time.

At the same time, I understand that especially in any case, the current president and vice-president are busy and won’t always be able to do a debate. What would I recommend? More debates from people that each party will say represents their side versus one on the other. Want to debate health care? Have a whole debate on that topic. Climate change? Racism? Yes. A whole debate.

Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen simply because most people don’t really have that kind of attention span anymore. We want quick and soundbite answers to questions and think everything should be able to be given in bite-size portions. It can’t be. That’s the nature of the beast. I don’t care who is giving the case. If this is a substantive issue, it requires work.

And dare I say it, maybe if you want to understand these issues, you will need to do that on your own some time. Watch on Facebook and when anything major happens, everyone becomes an expert on everything. We live in an age where we think we are worth listening to because we have an opinion. No. Your opinion might be right and valid, but you need to read up on it and give an informed reason for your case.

Ultimately, it all comes down to a public willing to better educate themselves. Unfortunately, I have no pipe dreams of this happening anytime soon. I also see no way to bring it about instantly. The best I would say is start with the churches being willing to educate themselves and hire preachers who know what they’re talking about and have educational credentials. If we want change to start with the world, it needs to start with us.

We could all bear to be more informed anyway.

Also, let questions come from the audience more often that’s there live. Let them tell us what is most important to us. Don’t let a moderator decide that.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

Another problem with these debates is that the participants don't actually answer the questions. They have a list of talking points they want to "get out there" and basically just ignore the question and use the opportunity to launch into their presentation of their points. Both sides do it. So why bother even have moderator questions at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Another problem with these debates is that the participants don't actually answer the questions. They have a list of talking points they want to "get out there" and basically just ignore the question and use the opportunity to launch into their presentation of their points. Both sides do it. So why bother even have moderator questions at all?
      A rehearsed speech is perceived as better, because the speaker looks confident, without any hesitation to consider his response. This is especially true when many people view snippets of the "debate" rather than watch the whole thing, and don't necessarily realize that the rehearsed speech had nothing to do with the question.

I kind of like the idea of eliminating the moderator. Just let the two parties take turns giving speeches, with no limits on what they talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

A rehearsed speech is perceived as better, because the speaker looks confident, without any hesitation to consider his response. This is especially true when many people view snippets of the "debate" rather than watch the whole thing, and don't necessarily realize that the rehearsed speech had nothing to do with the question.

I kind of like the idea of eliminating the moderator. Just let the two parties take turns giving speeches, with no limits on what they talk about.
        But then it isn't a debate. Not that the actual debates are debates either.

I would like the moderators have some actual control. If they don't answer the question and go off on a tangent, or start talking over the other person or go beyond their time, the moderator should be able to just cut them off. I also think they should have fewer questions and longer answering times, like AP says above.

Maybe they could put trap doors under their podiums and if they stray, the moderator could drop them into a shark tank.

Comment