Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Moment That Made Neil Armstrong’s Heart Rate Spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Moment That Made Neil Armstrong’s Heart Rate Spike

The Moment That Made Neil Armstrong’s Heart Rate Spike

lead_720_405.jpg

Then an alarm blared; the Eagle’s computers were overloaded with signals. Mission Control told Armstrong to ignore it and keep going. Armstrong could see enough of the jagged terrain through his window to know that they had overshot their target by four miles. They needed a smooth, flat place to land, and the Eagle was now headed toward a crater filled with boulders instead. It was time to shut off the autopilot. Armstrong took control of the Eagle, and manually scooted the module away from the crater. The module was still airborne when the low-fuel light started flashing. (Another propulsion system would launch the astronauts back off the moon.)

Armstrong later said he wasn’t worried about the fuel. They were close enough then that if the engine cut off, the moon’s gentle gravity, one-sixth that of Earth’s, would let them coast safely down. But the descent must have been some adrenaline rush to push the lunar commander’s heart rate to 150. Armstrong’s pulse began to climb after he turned off the autopilot and took the controls in his gloved grip. The fate of the mission was, quite literally, in his hands. Tens of thousands of engineers had helped get him here, but this last bit was up to him. That kind of responsibility would quicken anyone’s pulse.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

One of the guys (don't remember which one) in Mission Control was monitoring the descent fuel and altitude, and just KNEW that they were going to run out of fuel before touchdown.

What he didn't know is that Eagle was, at that moment, drifting over a crater, so the "altitude" was relative to the bottom of the crater, not the surface of the moon. As soon as the Eagle passed the the rim of the crater, the altitude was much more shallow than just a second before.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The first space cowboy. Flying by the seat of his pants in a spaceship made of fancy tinfoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        The first space cowboy. Flying by the seat of his pants in a spaceship made of fancy tinfoil.
        And, to think of all they accomplished without our fancy computer technology. A friend of mine (now deceased) actually had one of the slide rules used by a member of the Mission Control team to double-check return trajectory. I would love to know what happened to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And, to think of all they accomplished without our fancy computer technology. A friend of mine (now deceased) actually had one of the slide rules used by a member of the Mission Control team to double-check return trajectory. I would love to know what happened to it.
          We should have warp drive by now!

Comment

We should have warp drive by now!
            We do - they just know you'll cause havoc if you are allowed access to it.

Comment

We do - they just know you'll cause havoc if you are allowed access to it.
              Does it use that 100 mile per gallon carburetor?

Comment

Does it use that 100 mile per gallon carburetor?
                Psssshhhhhh --- MILE per gallon? How bout light years per gallon! (dilithium crystals may be involved)

Comment

Built by the lowest bidder. (from John Glenn)
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Psssshhhhhh --- MILE per gallon? How bout light years per gallon! (dilithium crystals may be involved)
                    If roguelabs is involved it will have squirrels somewhere in there.

Comment

If roguelabs is involved it will have squirrels somewhere in there.
                      [*Slips the multi-spacial squirrel cage rotor for the dorsal nanowave shock compensator behind my back*]

While I cannot speak for this "rogue labs" (probably yet another knock off trying to glom onto our good name), I can, as President and CEO of roguetech labs & bait shop™, emphatically state that I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And I thought I was nervous as a kid when I got on my first roller coaster...
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I need an av of The Pin™ taking over the moon.

Please?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            I need an av of The Pin™ taking over the moon.

Please?
                            If it weren't for The PinTM, we'd have another planet between Mars and Jupiter, not the asteroid belt.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X