Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Crucifixtion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crucifixtion

We know the Romans used crucifixion to kill their victims.

I remember reading that sometime before the Romans victims were killed and then crucified -- nailed to a tree -- as a warning to others, but I can't find the reference.

Do any of you know what I am talking about?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Christian3; 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM.

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    We know the Romans used crucifixion to kill their victims.

I remember reading that sometime before the Romans victims were killed and then crucified -- nailed to a tree -- as a warning to others, but I can't find the reference.

Do any of you know what I am talking about?

Thanks.
    I have just found this. Are you thinking of the Roman Argei religious ceremony?

Comment

I think it is the case that Romans used crucifixion, in large part, as a warning to others. If seems this was done with Jews rebelling against Rome and also other rebels.

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post
        I think it is the case that Romans used crucifixion, in large part, as a warning to others. If seems this was done with Jews rebelling against Rome and also other rebels.
        It was a form of capital punishment reserved for the lower orders. Also remember that in Roman society all men were not equal before the law,

Comment

The invasion of Tyre by Alexander the Great in 332 BC was a vivid example, described by Quintus Curtius Rufus, Historiae Alexandri Magni (The History of Alexander The Great) iv.2-4.

The citizens of Tyre had fled from the mainland to the island nearby as Alexander approached. Alexander sent messengers to the island, offering peace if they would allow him to enter the city and sacrifice to Heracles. The Tyrians murdered the messengers and threw their bodies into the sea. Eventually a fleet of 223 Greek warships arrived and blockaded the ports of Tyre. Then the invasion began.

The Greek soldiers, enraged after seven months of frustration, poured into the city, barging into the homes and slaughtering men, women and children. 2,000 citizens of Tyre were taken and crucified, nailed to crosses along the shoreline of the city. Of the population of 40,000, the army killed 10,000 and the remaining 30,000 were taken into slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            It was a form of capital punishment reserved for the lower orders. Also remember that in Roman society all men were not equal before the law,
            Exactly.

Comment

Wasn't it a Phoenician punishment to begin with? If so it was interesting that the Greeks used it on the Tyrians.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Wasn't it a Phoenician punishment to begin with? If so it was interesting that the Greeks used it on the Tyrians.
                It seems different societies practised crucifixion among them the Persians and Carthaginians. I also read [somewhere] that the practise may have its origins in fertility rites.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X