Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

WWII Aircraft Carriers on LAKE MICHIGAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Aircraft Carriers on LAKE MICHIGAN

Something I came across the other day that I never knew --- that we were actually training Navy Pilots to take off and land on Carriers on Lake Michigan, just off Chicago.

Since German and Japanese submarines and ships were patrolling our West and East coasts, it was considered too dangerous to do Carrier Qualifications there, and much safer to train Navy Pilots on the Great Lakes.
    Who'duhthunket!

Navy training vessels of WWII

Wolverine.jpg

Throughout both WWI and WWII, the U.S. Navy employed innovative solutions to provide training for new recruits. The vessels USS Wolverine, Sable, and Wilmette served the Sailors who would then go out to serve our nation.

During the early stages of WWII, Commander Richard F. Whitehead proposed the idea of retrofitting and modifying Great Lakes luxury cruise ships into aircraft carriers for naval training purposes. The radical and revolutionary concept called for training on Lake Michigan off of Navy Pier in Chicago, a safe and protected environment for sailors and their ships. After the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, the U.S. Navy accepted the proposal and put the plan into action.

USS Wolverine served as a training aircraft carrier for the U.S. Navy, from 1942–1945. Along with her sister ship, USS Sable, she qualified over 18,000 pilots for carrier landings, significantly impacting the course of WWII.

USS Wolverine began life as a Great Lakes side-wheel paddle steamer, designed for luxury cruises. Originally named Seeandbee after the first initials of her owners, the Cleveland and Buffalo Transit Company, she provided an indulgent experience to her passengers. She launched on her maiden voyage on June 19, 1913. At the time, she was fitted with side-wheel paddles that offered improved maneuverability and additional stability, as well as a faster, quieter steam engine. However, by 1941, her excursion days had come to an end.

On March 12, 1942, the Seeandbee was acquired by the U.S. Navy. The ship would be soon be renamed USS Wolverine—after completing the work of converting her into an aircraft carrier.

To do so, the U.S. Navy had a 550 foot-long flight deck installed, designed exclusively for training purposes. The Navy’s combat aircraft carrier flight decks were closer to 800 feet, which made landing on USS Wolverine even more challenging. If a pilot could take off and land on the shorter flight deck, they could take off and land on any flight deck in the Navy's fleet.

On September 2, 1945, World War II officially came to an end. With the war ended, the need for freshwater training came to an end and USS Wolverine was decommissioned on November 7, 1945. USS Wolverine was then transferred to the War Shipping Administration, where she was later sold for scrap. She received both the American Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal in recognition of her services, and for her contribution to America’s success in the war.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Not really a surprise being in the aftermath of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Very interesting.

Should this be in History?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Very interesting.

Should this be in History?

Didn't quite know where to put it, but - yeah!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What triggered this was a documentary on a group that is retrieving crashed warbirds from Lake Michigan for restoration.

Comment

As everybody knows, there are five Great Lakes.

But one, and just one, is Superior.

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              As everybody knows, there are five Great Lakes.

But one, and just one, is Superior.

That's kind of Erie

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                What triggered this was a documentary on a group that is retrieving crashed warbirds from Lake Michigan for restoration.
                warbird 01.jpgwarbird 02.jpgwarbird 03.png

Comment

Originally posted by cow poke View Post
                  what triggered this
                  USS_Trigger;0823701.jpg

ecree
                  Attached Files
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment