Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Noah: Is this a good movie? Is it good ancient history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Also, we might should consider burning at the stake any Christian leader who endorses this movie."

Erick Erickson, RedState

Warning, spoiler alert:
    http://www.redstate.com/2014/03/27/d...onofskys-noah/

Answers in Genesis crew doesn't like it either.

Warning, spoiler alert:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vwrxBUlqgM
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Neither does Matt Walsh: (spoiler alert) http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/03/...r-star-review/
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
        The trailer shows Noah referring to him a number of times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmj5mhDwJQ
        My sister said it didn't to my parents too. The rumor is coming from SOMEWHERE....
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          My sister said it didn't to my parents too. The rumor is coming from SOMEWHERE....
          Did you sister see the movie? If not, where did she hear this? Perhaps it is related to the mistaken view of the Answers in Genesis crowd who say something a little more subtle, yet still incorrect. They say that the God portrayed in the movie is merely a deistic God not the real God of the Bible. I don't want to give anything away, but this is not really true because there are indeed miracles portrayed in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I've heard it mentions creator but not God

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              That's what the Answers in Genesis crowd was saying about a deistic, creator God.

Comment

If this is accurate it sounds like utter garbage:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...-problems-Noah
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  What's the difference?

Comment

What's the difference?
                    For some it is the difference between a deistic God and the God of the Bible. This movie does not portray a deistic God, but rather the villains are more like deists.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      For some it is the difference between a deistic God and the God of the Bible. This movie does not portray a deistic God, but rather the villains are more like deists.
                      Yeah that makes sense. Even just watching the trailer you can see Noah and Methuselah discussing God's flooding of the world because of the corruption of man. Doesn't sound like something a deistic god would do.

Comment

Spoilers: The premise of the movie: Humans must be killed because they've despoiled the environment, so Noah tries to kill his granddaughter and ends up drunken and depressed because he can't bring himself to do the killing.

What is this I don't even..

Comment

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...t-biblical-bi/

Note to Christians and those who believe the Bible: The producer of the movie “Noah,” a self-professed atheist, says he is proud of the fact that he’s taken a story inspired by God’s word and turned it into something so secular.
                          Director Darren Aronofsky called his movie “the least biblical biblical film ever made,” The Telegraph reported. He also claimed his leading character, Noah, was the “first environmentalist,” something that suggests the movie storyline doesn’t exactly follow the Bible’s.
                          Looks like the article I posted earlier was spot on. Don't put money in his pocket please.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Its directed by Darren Aronofsky so its no surprise that its not a Biblical film per se. Anyone who's seen any of his work should know what they're getting into (Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan). He makes controversial art films for mainstream audiences.

Comment

Its directed by Darren Aronofsky so its no surprise that its not a Biblical film per se. Anyone who's seen any of his work should know what they're getting into (Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan). He makes controversial art films for mainstream audiences.
                              I tried so hard to wrap my head around The Fountain. I gave up. I didn't know it was him behind it. That explains a lot.
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                                I tried so hard to wrap my head around The Fountain. I gave up. I didn't know it was him behind it. That explains a lot.
                                Its the film of his I liked least, but its been a long time since I've seen it. I should give it another chance.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X