Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Noah: Is this a good movie? Is it good ancient history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    But what do they think and say of themselves? Do they see themselves as having some kind of ecclesial or other form of authority beyond that of recommending people not see the movie?
    Don't think so but see for yourself: http://www.answersingenesis.org/about
    Originally posted by robrecht
    Personally, I think the gnostic/kabbalah/Enoch interpretations are much more important but there are points that I'm not sure of without looking up some passages that I only vaguely remember.
    When you get around to it, post the citations, please. I'm not familiar enough with it to look things up without a lot of time and effort I don't have time for right now, but I would like to read up.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Depends on who you're asking - they're either evul Creationists or the vanguard of creation science. My personal opinion is that both views are overblown and if we aren't actually discussing evolution, it's a moot point.

Am I the only one that finds the gnostic theory far more important than whether or not AIG likes the thing?
    But what do they think and say of themselves? Do they see themselves as having some kind of ecclesial or other form of authority beyond that of recommending people not see the movie?

Personally, I think the gnostic/kabbalah/Enoch interpretations are much more important but there are points that I'm not sure of without looking up some passages that I only vaguely remember.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Depends on who you're asking - they're either evul Creationists or the vanguard of creation science. My personal opinion is that both views are overblown and if we aren't actually discussing evolution, it's a moot point.

Am I the only one that finds the gnostic theory far more important than whether or not AIG likes the thing?

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Um... From AiG:

Source: The Noah Movie: Our Detailed Review

Noah is a film filled with blasphemous representations of God and character assassinations of Noah. It distorts biblical truth in a way that is dangerous and will have a corrupting influence on those who watch the film without an accurate understanding of what the Bible actually teaches. Though we do not call for a boycott of the film, AiG does not recommend that anyone see this film. But we know that there will be those who will see it. Because of that, there is an opportunity for Christians to interact with those non-Christians who have seen the film.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I agree that one should not see the movie without also being well versed in the Biblical account, at least one will be able to better appreciate the movie if one has read the Bible (and the book of Enoch).

I'm not sure I understand AiG's distinction between recommending people not see the movie and calling for a boycott. Would the latter be some kind of more authoritative condemnation? Do some people view AiG as having some kind of ecclesial authority? I don't know hardly anything about them but I thought they were just a website and theme park. Are they something more than that?
    Last edited by robrecht; 04-04-2014, 04:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Um... From AiG:

Noah is a film filled with blasphemous representations of God and character assassinations of Noah. It distorts biblical truth in a way that is dangerous and will have a corrupting influence on those who watch the film without an accurate understanding of what the Bible actually teaches. Though we do not call for a boycott of the film, AiG does not recommend that anyone see this film. But we know that there will be those who will see it. Because of that, there is an opportunity for Christians to interact with those non-Christians who have seen the film.

Source

A simple 'no' would suffice. I skimmed AIG's piece - Mattson's is far more damning in that he demonstrates that the movie draws heavily from Gnosticism - which, last I looked, was still heretical.

Seriously, the obsession with AIG is silly. There are a number of Christian and related sources that have raised objections so the issue is hardly one of following AIG.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    My sister said it didn't to my parents too. The rumor is coming from SOMEWHERE....
    Could be a mix-up with the fact that God never speaks in the movie.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Are you saying Mattson belongs to AIG?

Besides, AIG doesn't seem to be alone in having problems with this thing.
    Um... From AiG:

Source

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Just to remind people. AIG doesn't like anything that isn't quoted from the Bible and this includes things that aren't their version of the Bible.
    Are you saying Mattson belongs to AIG?

Besides, AIG doesn't seem to be alone in having problems with this thing.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Just to remind people. AIG doesn't like anything that isn't quoted from the Bible and this includes things that aren't their version of the Bible.

Leave a comment:

• TimelessTheist
    replied
    It's a Biblical movie written by an atheist.....that should tell you something.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    SOOOOOO missing this movie...

Leave a comment:

• Ged
    replied
    'Just been to see it. Good graphics but little resemblance to the biblical narrative. I would recommend it to anyone who likes 'monster' movies and baddies chewing legs raw off innocent animals.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
    Brian Mattson makes an interesting case that much of the movie's content comes from the Kabbalah and from Gnostic writings:
    http://drbrianmattson.com/journal/20...-for-the-devil

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    I think I will take that as a compliment. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    You really like Glenn Beck?

He's slightly less annoying than you...

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X