Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Cleopatra VII Philopater [again]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Still unable to write good clear prose I see. I await your telling us all what a phenomena she was!
    I'd much rather be guilty of a typo than to foolishly assert that something didn't exist until someone coined the current popular term for it O Ms. homosexuality-didn't-exist-until-the-term-was-coined-in-the nineteenth-century

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nouveau blackface strikes again.

Painting people black is somehow now "representation".

They could just do a documentary or movie on someone like Nzinga Mbande, but that would require work like any new content.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I'd much rather be guilty of a typo than to foolishly assert that something didn't exist until someone coined the current popular term for it O Ms. homosexuality-didn't-exist-until-the-term-was-coined-in-the nineteenth-century
        When it happens this often [and these are only a few examples] it is not "a typo" it is ignorance.

Virtually nobody was overly concerned with chronological exactitude or "history for history's sake" which is largely a modern phenomena.

"Suicide by cop" is a very real phenomena

There is increasing talk about what effect will an increasing phenomena known as the "shy voter"

His point is that it appears to be a relatively recent (that is, cultural) phenomena.

Originally posted by rogue06
        This is an actual phenomena known as an Ice Circle

Like so many others, most of Thallus' works are lost to us -- a phenomena that is the norm for works from antiquity

Maybe the whole Baby Jesus thing is more of a Southern U.S. phenomena

Similar phenomena is observed with suicides after the enactment of strict gun control measures.

But it's only a recent phenomena

From what I understand that is a fairly common phenomena

Originally posted by rogue06
        In some other threads there are discussions about those who are looking to be offended. I think that a very similar phenomena took place back then.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Docudramas, which claim to be "based on actual events," gained popularity in the 70s.

All too often the attachments to history and/or the facts are tenuous at best
          As I understood it, docudramas were supposed to stick to the known facts, with a minimum of imaginative stuff thrown in where necessary to make the elements segue smoothly.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

When it happens this often [and these are only a few examples] it is not "a typo" it is ignorance.

I'd still rather misspell a word than to foolishly assert that something didn't exist until someone coined the current popular term for it O Ms. homosexuality-didn't-exist-until-the-term-was-coined-in-the nineteenth-century

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

As I understood it, docudramas were supposed to stick to the known facts, with a minimum of imaginative stuff thrown in where necessary to make the elements segue smoothly.
              The seventh and eighth[1] word are the key here

1. although old Joe recently told the world that "eight" is spelled E-I-G-H.

He's so special picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

Comment

I'd still rather misspell a word than to foolishly assert that something didn't exist until someone coined the current popular term for it O Ms. homosexuality-didn't-exist-until-the-term-was-coined-in-the nineteenth-century
                Your inability to comprehend what has been written, is once again duly noted.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Backpedaling

Source: Cleopatra was light-skinned, Egypt tells Netflix in row over drama

Casting of black actor in upcoming docudrama has angered groups in Egypt who say it is ‘a falsification of Egyptian history’

She was Egypt’s last Pharaoh, a legendary leader who according to popular belief ended her life by allowing a deadly cobra to bite her breast.

But more than 2000 years after her death, the woman who had love affairs with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony has ignited a modern-day controversy over race and representation.

In Queen Cleopatra, a new four-part drama-documentary made by Netflix, the title role is played by Adele James, an actor of mixed heritage – a move that has enraged Egyptian experts who insist the pharaonic leader had “white skin and Hellenistic characteristics”.

This week, the Egyptian antiquities ministry published a lengthy statement that included opinions from experts that, it said, agree on Cleopatra’s skin colour and facial features.

“Bas-reliefs and statues of Queen Cleopatra are the best proof,” the statement said, embellishing its text with illustrations showing Cleopatra with European traits.

For Mostafa Waziri, head of the Supreme Antiquities Council, depicting the famous queen as black was nothing less than “a falsification of Egyptian history”.

He said there was nothing racist in this view, which is motivated by “defending the history of Queen Cleopatra, an important part of the history of Egypt in antiquity”.

Amid a Twitter storm on the subject, James, who has appeared in the British hospital drama Casualty, said: “If you don’t like the casting, don’t watch the show.”

Tudum, the official companion site to Netflix, earlier this week quoted the producers of the series as saying: “Her ethnicity is not the focus of [the series] Queen Cleopatra, but we did intentionally decide to depict her of mixed ethnicity to reflect theories about Cleopatra’s possible Egyptian ancestry and the multicultural nature of ancient Egypt.”

It had worked with leading historians and experts including Shelley Haley, professor of classics and African studies at Hamilton College in New York, and the Cleopatra scholar Sally-Ann Ashton to “explore Cleopatra’s story as a queen, strategist, ruler of formidable intellect as well as a woman whose heritage is the subject of great debate”, they said.

Cleopatra, who was born in the Egyptian city of Alexandria in 69 BC, succeeded her father, Ptolemy XII, in 51 BC and ruled until her death in 30BC. Afterwards, Egypt fell under Roman domination. She spoke many languages in addition to her native Greek.

The identity of Cleopatra’s mother is not known. Some historians say she could have been an indigenous Egyptian or from elsewhere in Africa. Shakespeare used the word “tawny” to describe the queen in his play Antony and Cleopatra. Cleopatra was portrayed as dark-skinned in some Renaissance art.

More recently, Cleopatra has been played by white actors including Vivien Leigh, Claudette Colbert and Elizabeth Taylor.

Jada Pinkett Smith, the American actor who was executive producer and narrator on the series, told Tudum: “We don’t often get to see or hear stories about black queens, and that was really important for me … The sad part is that we don’t have ready access to these historical women who were so powerful and were the backbones of African nations.”

Some experts have said the debate reflects contemporary views about race, rather than how race was understood in ancient times.

“To ask whether someone was ‘black’ or ‘white’ is anachronistic and says more about modern political investments than attempting to understand antiquity on its own terms,” Rebecca Futo Kennedy, an associate professor of Classics at Denison University, told Time magazine.

“There is nothing wrong in casting Cleopatra as black,” Kenan Malik wrote in the Observer this week. “The problem lies in the resonances that flow from that. James is no more and no less authentically a Cleopatra than Elizabeth Taylor was. Ancient commentary on Cleopatra reveals little interest in discussing her identity in the way the modern world obsessively does.”

A BBC documentary in 2009 claimed that Cleopatra had African blood, an assertion that passed without incident.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Backpedaling

Source: Cleopatra was light-skinned, Egypt tells Netflix in row over drama

Casting of black actor in upcoming docudrama has angered groups in Egypt who say it is ‘a falsification of Egyptian history’

She was Egypt’s last Pharaoh, a legendary leader who according to popular belief ended her life by allowing a deadly cobra to bite her breast.

But more than 2000 years after her death, the woman who had love affairs with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony has ignited a modern-day controversy over race and representation.

In Queen Cleopatra, a new four-part drama-documentary made by Netflix, the title role is played by Adele James, an actor of mixed heritage – a move that has enraged Egyptian experts who insist the pharaonic leader had “white skin and Hellenistic characteristics”.

This week, the Egyptian antiquities ministry published a lengthy statement that included opinions from experts that, it said, agree on Cleopatra’s skin colour and facial features.

“Bas-reliefs and statues of Queen Cleopatra are the best proof,” the statement said, embellishing its text with illustrations showing Cleopatra with European traits.

For Mostafa Waziri, head of the Supreme Antiquities Council, depicting the famous queen as black was nothing less than “a falsification of Egyptian history”.

He said there was nothing racist in this view, which is motivated by “defending the history of Queen Cleopatra, an important part of the history of Egypt in antiquity”.

Amid a Twitter storm on the subject, James, who has appeared in the British hospital drama Casualty, said: “If you don’t like the casting, don’t watch the show.”

Tudum, the official companion site to Netflix, earlier this week quoted the producers of the series as saying: “Her ethnicity is not the focus of [the series] Queen Cleopatra, but we did intentionally decide to depict her of mixed ethnicity to reflect theories about Cleopatra’s possible Egyptian ancestry and the multicultural nature of ancient Egypt.”

It had worked with leading historians and experts including Shelley Haley, professor of classics and African studies at Hamilton College in New York, and the Cleopatra scholar Sally-Ann Ashton to “explore Cleopatra’s story as a queen, strategist, ruler of formidable intellect as well as a woman whose heritage is the subject of great debate”, they said.

Cleopatra, who was born in the Egyptian city of Alexandria in 69 BC, succeeded her father, Ptolemy XII, in 51 BC and ruled until her death in 30BC. Afterwards, Egypt fell under Roman domination. She spoke many languages in addition to her native Greek.

The identity of Cleopatra’s mother is not known. Some historians say she could have been an indigenous Egyptian or from elsewhere in Africa. Shakespeare used the word “tawny” to describe the queen in his play Antony and Cleopatra. Cleopatra was portrayed as dark-skinned in some Renaissance art.

More recently, Cleopatra has been played by white actors including Vivien Leigh, Claudette Colbert and Elizabeth Taylor.

Jada Pinkett Smith, the American actor who was executive producer and narrator on the series, told Tudum: “We don’t often get to see or hear stories about black queens, and that was really important for me … The sad part is that we don’t have ready access to these historical women who were so powerful and were the backbones of African nations.”

Some experts have said the debate reflects contemporary views about race, rather than how race was understood in ancient times.

“To ask whether someone was ‘black’ or ‘white’ is anachronistic and says more about modern political investments than attempting to understand antiquity on its own terms,” Rebecca Futo Kennedy, an associate professor of Classics at Denison University, told Time magazine.

“There is nothing wrong in casting Cleopatra as black,” Kenan Malik wrote in the Observer this week. “The problem lies in the resonances that flow from that. James is no more and no less authentically a Cleopatra than Elizabeth Taylor was. Ancient commentary on Cleopatra reveals little interest in discussing her identity in the way the modern world obsessively does.”

A BBC documentary in 2009 claimed that Cleopatra had African blood, an assertion that passed without incident.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And precisely what was the point of this post?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And precisely what was the point of this post?
                      Did you see the first word of it?

Comment

Did you see the first word of it?
                        Casting or She?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Backpedaling

Comment

It's minority pandering.... same as Ariel casting, Tinkerbell casting, and so on...
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              It's minority pandering.... same as Ariel casting, Tinkerbell casting, and so on...
                              Another term for virtue signaling?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X