Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thanksgiving Celebrations for Hispanics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Celebrations for Hispanics.

As I opted to read up a little bit of the 1621 banquet between English and Wampanoag folk, I stumbled upon this bit:
    https://news.ufl.edu/articles/2015/1...nksgiving.html

Pretty cool stuff, and managed to also find this bit as well:

https://www.hispaniccouncil.org/el-o...on-de-gracias/

In summary, they make reference to two particular masses and banquets (had to be very Catholic, heheh), both hosted by the military expeditions (the famous conquistadores) from the Crown of Castille (I'm admittedly a nitpicker here, hehehe, in my insistence that there were no Spaniards, but Castilians, Leonese, and some Basques, yes), with high gratitude to God as the theme.
    - 1565, in Florida. Hosted by Pedro Menendez de Avilés, a mass and feast to celebrate their military victory over the Protestant French at Fort Carolina (modern day Jacksonville). Timucua peoples took part in the festivities, seeing as they were key in the victory.
    - 1598, at the shores of Rio Grande. It has hosted by Juan de Oñate, a mass and feast to celebrate the perilous crossing of the desert. Along with Iberian folk, a peoples called Manxos, took place in the shared feast. There was even a bit of theatre involved, cool stuff.

In many ways they paralleled the circumstances that those English of old at Plymouth, grand banquets to celebrate overcoming some great adversity that imperiled them and thanking God for safeguarding them. And much on how the descendants of those old English (modern Americans) took that momentous historic event, and formally instituted a yearly day of remembrance and celebration based on that event, it's nice to see those of Hispanic descent have a past historic event too look upon when celebrating Thanksgiving. It truly deflects the accusations that Hispanic folk have no business celebrating an Anglo-Saxon holiday. And another parallel of course, is the dark sequels that came afterwards, on how the animosity between Spaniards and the Native Americans still came about, resulting bloodshed, conquest of land, resources, and people's lives, and utter subjugation of the very folk they celebrated as friends whose consequences still linger. They are not above critical examination just like the events at Plymouth. But for a time, it is great to commemorate times of friendship when they did truly happen, and that is something still worth doing.

The one criticism I do have to these articles, is this nonsense that said representations represent the "true" or "original" Thanksgiving. I find the notion of trying to claim an exclusive origin to a celebration vain-glorious, as these articles try to do. Even if these banquets preceded the one at Plymouth, we Hispanic folk really did nothing to commemorate those events for a good 422-464 years on the scale Anglish folk did. Thanksgiving Day is still an American cultural patrimony, and I consider it borderline sinister to try to take away from them that claiming that "We did it first" or some nonsensical-logic on that line. Don't see why folk of English heritage can have their celebration, and we of Spanish heritage can have our own (And more so for the Hispanic diaspora in USA, seeing on how those banquets took place in presently US territories, the grand possibility of a syncretic celebration with both Hispanic and American heritages), and both having the spirit of thankfulness in them celebrated with a delicious and grand banquet with loved ones.

What you all think?

Last edited by Andius; 11-26-2020, 06:44 PM.
    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X