Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Myth of Christian Martyrdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Wasn't it the Protestant raised Henri IV who declared Paris is worth a Mass?
    You have me there - no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

You have me there - no idea.
      According to what I have read, Paris was under siege and would not let him enter to take the throne because he was not Catholic - hence his alleged remark.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I do not consider Dr Moss was attempting to be "controversial". She merely puts forward an academic perspective on the issue.
        Positing a radical new take on something in her field is going to be controversial. It's an excellent way to get recognition - something academics crave.
        Furthermore, it is hardly surprising that Mr McDowell was unsuccessful in his attempts to verify the alleged "martyrdom of the apostles" given that those accounts appear to be little more than Christian pietistic fiction.
        I thought you didn't like sweeping generalisations?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Christians were not persecuted by Rome for their religious beliefs. The entire issue was predominantly political.
          False. Religion and politics were intricately intertwined in the period. Your reply sort of misses that, making it largely irrelevant. You're also taking a couple accounts and assuming they apply broadly everywhere in the first couple centuries of the Christian era - that's been passé for quite some time in the field.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Positing a radical new take on something in her field is going to be controversial. It's an excellent way to get recognition - something academics crave.
            It is not her first or only work on the subject.

I thought you didn't like sweeping generalisations?
            You are welcome to produce attested extraneous historical sources that detail how each of these individuals met their ends.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

False. Religion and politics were intricately intertwined in the period. Your reply sort of misses that, making it largely irrelevant. You're also taking a couple accounts and assuming they apply broadly everywhere in the first couple centuries of the Christian era - that's been passé for quite some time in the field.
              Not I suspect in the way you imagine it. Those accounts and other sources make it clear that there was no continuous systematic state organised persecution solely directed at Christians in the second or third centuries.

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X