Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Myth of Christian Martyrdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    That is a reasonable explanation. Thank you.
    And, thanks to you, Sparko has now used up his one allowed reasonable explanation for the rest of the year!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And, thanks to you, Sparko has now used up his one allowed reasonable explanation for the rest of the year!
      Does he really only have one permitted "reasonable explanation" per annum? Good grief - he should speak to the Board and demand a raise.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Does he really only have one permitted "reasonable explanation"? Good grief - he speak to the Board about a raise.
        My Texas State Representative likes to say she is only allowed 5 swear words per year.

A few years ago, there had been a number of.. um... odd things... happening in our district, and to top it all off, a local veterinarian posted a picture on Facebook of a feral cat she shot with a bow and arrow.

My State Rep was quite upset, cause that seemed to have topped the other "bad news" things. She said, "I used up all my swear words at the same time that day".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My Texas State Representative likes to say she is only allowed 5 swear words per year.

A few years ago, there had been a number of.. um... odd things... happening in our district, and to top it all off, a local veterinarian posted a picture on Facebook of a feral cat she shot with a bow and arrow.

My State Rep was quite upset, cause that seemed to have topped the other "bad news" things. She said, "I used up all my swear words at the same time that day".
          She needs a swear box - then she could treat everyone to cakes every Christmas.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

She needs a swear box - then she could treat everyone to cakes every Christmas.
            I do have a friend, a local judge, who has a swear jar!

Comment

I do have a friend, a local judge, who has a swear jar!
              coin-short-reason.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Holding and I had a brief discussion on her book a few years ago but it was buried. A lot of what Moss presents is not particularly controversial and was sensationalized in the headlines.

I do remember Sean McDowell tried to go back and independently verify the martyrdom of the apostles and was unable to verify the majority of them because so much is just lost to history.
                I do not consider Dr Moss was attempting to be "controversial". She merely puts forward an academic perspective on the issue.

Furthermore, it is hardly surprising that Mr McDowell was unsuccessful in his attempts to verify the alleged "martyrdom of the apostles" given that those accounts appear to be little more than Christian pietistic fiction.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                  I don't know about the discussion but his review of the book is here:
                  http://tektonticker.blogspot.com/201...s-myth-of.html

He wrote a book on the subject, "The Fate of the Apostles." I haven't read it personally, but here's an article he wrote that gives a summary of his conclusions, presumably the book goes into much more detail:
                  https://www.oneplace.com/ministries/...ell-17589.html
                  Thanks for the link to tektonticker. The article points out some of the mistakes Moss made.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                    Thanks for the link to tektonticker. The article points out some of the mistakes Moss made.
                    If you have not read Moss you cannot know if what Holding states is correct.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

If you have not read Moss you cannot know if what Holding states is correct.
                      If you have read Moss and know the scriptures you could have picked up the mistakes yourself.

Do you own a copy of the books you cited?

Comment

If you have read Moss and know the scriptures you could have picked up the mistakes yourself.
                        A comment that makes it quite clear you have not read her work. The book has nothing to do with "the scriptures" but with known historical events from the late first century CE.

Do you own a copy of the books you cited?
                        All of 'em. I have what is commonly referred to as a library.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

A comment that makes it quite clear you have not read her work. The book has nothing to do with "the scriptures" but with known historical events from the late first century CE.

I suggest that you move your topic to: Tektonics and let JP Holding answer your questions, if you dare.

Comment

What does Moss say about Apostle Paul?

Comment

I suggest that you move your topic to: Tektonics and let JP Holding answer your questions, if you dare.
                              Nah. 'E don't like me cos I mock 'im and his stupid animations.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What does Moss say about Apostle Paul?
                                Directly? Virtually nothing.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X