Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Happy 500th anniversary, Reformation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The crusty old Germans should remind the young conservatives that it was progressives who pushed the temperance movement.
    I'll pass that on to their pastor, who's caught in the middle.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Our local Lutheran congregation is having quite an internal squabble as the leadership has decided to celebrate this event with a 5 oz commemorative beer at the conclusion of their Church service. Good thing they are no longer using our building!
      We reformers do know how to party...
      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The young "New Calvinists" do have a reputation for loving their beer...
        If they're Calvinists then is it likely they are Lutherans?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          If they're Calvinists then is it likely they are Lutherans?
          Not sure if Luther would accept that.
          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
            We reformers do know how to party...
            I didn't think you guys were officially part of that.

(though I did find it funny a few years ago at my aunt's Episcopal church on Christmas eve when no one could find a cork puller )
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I didn't think you guys were officially part of that.

(though I did find it funny a few years ago at my aunt's Episcopal church on Christmas eve when no one could find a cork puller )
              We're part of the Anglican Communion. So we're beneficiaries if the English Reformation. At my parish, we know where our cork screws are!
              I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Apparently, our Dean of Academic Affairs (also my Greek Professor) wrote an article on the Reformation for the local newspaper. I found it quite fascinating and thought I'd share it with you all.

http://registerguard.com/rg/opinion/...sings.html.csp
                I am Punkinhead.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X