Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Chicago, Illinois: Hyde Park Seminary returns hand-written New Testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago, Illinois: Hyde Park Seminary returns hand-written New Testament

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...114-story.html

A heart warming story that gives me hope for unity of Christendom.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Interesting. I don't see how it affects unity, however. They're returning it because it had been stolen, and returning it is the right thing to do. And since it's been digitized, there's less reason to keep it for study.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Interesting. I don't see how it affects unity, however. They're returning it because it had been stolen, and returning it is the right thing to do. And since it's been digitized, there's less reason to keep it for study.
      They've repented of keeping a precious stolen object and been forgiven by the wronged.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        They've repented of keeping a precious stolen object and been forgiven by the wronged.
        Sure. Though it seems from their reaction that they were not aware that it had been stolen until they were asked to return it.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sure. Though it seems from their reaction that they were not aware that it had been stolen until they were asked to return it.
          A great deal of stuff in museums - and comparable places - has been acquired by methods that tend be questioned, though this was not always so. So which set of ethics does one adopt ?

To say nothing of the ownership of buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
            A great deal of stuff in museums - and comparable places - has been acquired by methods that tend be questioned, though this was not always so. So which set of ethics does one adopt ?

To say nothing of the ownership of buildings.
            Obtaining items through less than ethical means were how many of the great museum's got some of their most famous items back in the day. Not so much now mostly due to changes in laws and a willingness to enforce them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The story was more about hoping that other museums and institutions offer to return items acquired through nefarious means than bringing Eastern Orthodox and Lutherans together although the good will gesture on the part of the latter will surely be appreciated by the former.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Obtaining items through less than ethical means were how many of the great museum's got some of their most famous items back in the day. Not so much now mostly due to changes in laws and a willingness to enforce them.
                Tell that to Hobby Lobby.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Tell that to Hobby Lobby.

What? The part about the changes in laws and a willingness to enforce them? They learned that when they had to return everything and pay a $3 million fine.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...114-story.html

A heart warming story that gives me hope for unity of Christendom.
                    Given that the text is dated to the ninth century CE could it have been anything other than "hand written"?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Given that the text is dated to the ninth century CE could it have been anything other than "hand written"?
                      Only if printed in China.

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Only if printed in China.
                        If it's movable print. We know that there was woodblock printing in the Byzantine Empire by no later than 1000A.D.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X