Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

RC Church = Whore of Babylon, and that sort of stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    When I was a new Xian back in the '80s, I used to hear a lot of that, mainly from the Fundies in my circle of friends at college. They really seemed to push those beliefs at my then-girlfriend's CMA church, especially when there was a "Prophecy Conference."

In the late '90s, I was told by seemingly well informed people at two reputable Internet discussion venues that back in the days of the Reformation, the beliefs that the Pope was the Antichrist and the RC Church was the Whore of Babylon were at least semi-official for Protestantism as a whole.

1) Is that true?

2) What about the OC? What did the Reformers believe about that branch of Xianity?
    FWIU both sides liberally accused the other of being heretics and representing the Antichrist

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    have you seen Jack Chick tracts?
    Oh yeah! And the full-size comic books. There were some for sale in my ex-girlfriend's church foyer, and a bunch in the Christian bookstore a few miles away.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    have you seen Jack Chick tracts?

The Death Cookie!

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp
    0074_11.gif

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    My understanding is that the Reformers thought about Eastern Orthodoxy even less than they thought about the Epistle of James.

I don't know whether or to what degree the reformers thought of the Catholic Church as the WoB in an eschatological sense. That is, I'm pretty sure they frequently referred to the RCC as the WoB, but whether that was just a rheteorical excess by e.g. Luther or if they thought the RCC was the complete fulfillment of WoB in Revelation, I dunno.

Leave a comment:

• RC Church = Whore of Babylon, and that sort of stuff.

When I was a new Xian back in the '80s, I used to hear a lot of that, mainly from the Fundies in my circle of friends at college. They really seemed to push those beliefs at my then-girlfriend's CMA church, especially when there was a "Prophecy Conference."

In the late '90s, I was told by seemingly well informed people at two reputable Internet discussion venues that back in the days of the Reformation, the beliefs that the Pope was the Antichrist and the RC Church was the Whore of Babylon were at least semi-official for Protestantism as a whole.

1) Is that true?

2) What about the OC? What did the Reformers believe about that branch of Xianity?