Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Fellowship of Christians and Jews

This is the only board I could identify that was vaguely relevant for this topic.

I have just had a chat to a friend in UK who told me about a documentary that went out a few nights ago on British television about this organisation. I have watched the trailer here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KKKJweWP_8.

However, I wonder if anyone who posts here knows anything about [or is involved with] this organisation.

I found one or two Christian sites that seemed rather hostile to its programme and also found the IFCJ's Financial Summary online https://www.ifcj.org/who-we-are/financial-summary/ but was intrigued by its request for money to feed the hungry where the site states: https://help.ifcj.org/donate/16/53

You can help provide ongoing care and basic necessities like food, medical assistance, and shelter for a Jewish person in dire need.

Your monthly gift is tax deductible and will provide a critically important, ongoing source of care and support for the neediest of God's people in Israel, and around the world — including innocent children, impoverished families, and elderly Holocaust survivors.

The inclusion of Israel in that statement suggests that the Israeli Welfare system so ineffectual it cannot feed and provide medical treatment for its citizens.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

I always felt uneasy about their commercials --- reminds me too much of Sally Struthers (I think that was her name) and those weepy sad animal stories, begging for money.

And, I agree, it makes the Israeli government look criminal in their inability to take care of their people, when I have actually been to a number of places in the boonies in Israel where the support system is very much alive and working well.

In addition, they (Israeli government) seem to do well in assisting immigrants (in the case I witnessed - Ethiopian Jews) to merge into Israeli society.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This, from Charity Navigator....

ETA: Hopefully, link is repaired and working properly.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-21-2021, 11:23 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I always felt uneasy about their commercials --- reminds me too much of Sally Struthers (I think that was her name) and those weepy sad animal stories, begging for money.

And, I agree, it makes the Israeli government look criminal in their inability to take care of their people, when I have actually been to a number of places in the boonies in Israel where the support system is very much alive and working well.

In addition, they (Israeli government) seem to do well in assisting immigrants (in the case I witnessed - Ethiopian Jews) to merge into Israeli society.
        This, from Charity Navigator....

ETA: Hopefully, link is repaired and working properly.
        Thank you for both those replies. I would not know about their commercials but have been promised a copy of the British television programme.

Yes I agree with your remarks on the Israeli Welfare system - the reference struck me as a little peculiar.

However, some Christians clearly do not approve of IFCJ because Eckstein [now deceased] did not agree with the proselytising of Jews by groups such as Jews for Jesus, while other Christians feel that their brethren should not be giving money to a non-Christian organisation.

Once again, thank you.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Is this the organization that shows old ladies living in huts receiving a box of food and saying how only you can save her?

If so, yeah they come across as not only cheesy, but really set off my radar for not trustworthy. They are making out like Jews are pitiful animals that need rescue.

Comment

Then they have those ones they run right now showing pictures of abused animals and how only you can save their lives. I just turn off the TV; too depressing.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Then they have those ones they run right now showing pictures of abused animals and how only you can save their lives. I just turn off the TV; too depressing.
              Cruelty and suffering are distressing.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Cruelty and suffering are distressing.
                Which begs the question, why are they filming it instead of fixing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It does not "beg the question" in a strictly rhetorical or logical manner.

However, I have not seen any advertisements for IFJC and so I cannot comment.

Many charity appeals often rely on the "before" and "after" approach showing the viewer what their donation can achieve.

Of course I could turn your question around to you and ask Why does your loving deity permit the suffering and cruelty in the first place?
                  Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 01-21-2021, 12:47 PM.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Thank you for both those replies. I would not know about their commercials but have been promised a copy of the British television programme.

Yes I agree with your remarks on the Israeli Welfare system - the reference struck me as a little peculiar.

However, some Christians clearly do not approve of IFCJ because Eckstein [now deceased] did not agree with the proselytising of Jews by groups such as Jews for Jesus, while other Christians feel that their brethren should not be giving money to a non-Christian organisation.

Once again, thank you.
                    I have had good relationships with Jewish Rabbis -- always clearly understood up front that neither of us is trying to convince the other of anything, other than be friends because we live in the same community and minister to some of the same people.

Comment

Is this the organization that shows old ladies living in huts receiving a box of food and saying how only you can save her?

If so, yeah they come across as not only cheesy, but really set off my radar for not trustworthy. They are making out like Jews are pitiful animals that need rescue.
                      I used to yell at the TV --- "You're STANDING RIGHT THERE -- GIVE THAT POOR LADY SOME FOOD!!!!"

Yeah, I think it's the same outfit.

Comment

That.

Comment

It does not "beg the question" in a strictly rhetorical or logical manner.

However, I have not seen any advertisements for IFJC and so I cannot comment.

Many charity appeals often rely on the "before" and "after" approach showing the viewer what their donation can achieve.

Of course I could turn your question around to you and ask Why does your loving deity permit the suffering and cruelty in the first place?
                          That would be much more effective, in my opinion --- like what Franklin Graham does with the Christmas Boxes -- showing kids receiving them, and dancing for joy, and yelling thank you! That motivates me far more than all the teary-eyed sad stuff.

Comment

I have had good relationships with Jewish Rabbis
                            Are Rabbis found in any other religion?

-- always clearly understood up front that neither of us is trying to convince the other of anything, other than be friends because we live in the same community and minister to some of the same people.
                            Quite and in all seriousness that is the sanest and most humane attitude. Agree to differ but work together to help others.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Are Rabbis found in any other religion?
                              These days, who knows who might self identify as a Rabbi?

Quite and in all seriousness that is the sanest and most humane attitude. Agree to differ but work together to help others.
                              Our ministerial association is founded on that concept - though we have not Rabbis, Jewish or otherwise.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X