This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    1. The moderators being Christians, and interacting in the comment thread, in no way influenced your posts. You keep making it sound as if the mods were going to delete your content.
    2. Formal Debates are not hard, and make sure the debate is structured. For someone who claims to be "rational", I expect a lot better logic then most.
    3. Where the hell have you been on the internet that didn't have moderators? Almost every site has them, even if they are not pronounced.
    4. You still haven't answered my question: Was the ANE culture a honour/shame based culture?
    What bloody difference does it make? Superstitious people will believe superstitious claims, even in an honor-shame society, if they really want to believe a claim and especially if that claim gives them hope in this life or the next!

(There is no "u" in honor. That is an invention of the bloody Brits.) (smiling)

Comment

• Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
      1. The moderators being Christians, and interacting in the comment thread, in no way influenced your posts. You keep making it sound as if the mods were going to delete your content.
      2. Formal Debates are not hard, and make sure the debate is structured. For someone who claims to be "rational", I expect a lot better logic then most.
      3. Where the hell have you been on the internet that didn't have moderators? Almost every site has them, even if they are not pronounced.
      4. You still haven't answered my question: Was the ANE culture a honour/shame based culture?
      A moderator making snide remarks about one of the participants in a debate that he is currently moderating is tacky and unprofessional. That's the point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        Let's look at the University of Michigan.

http://www.msu.edu/about/

ANd their "Mission statement"

"The following statement was approved by the Board of Trustees on April 18, 2008.

Michigan State University, a member of the Association of American Universities and one of the top 100 research universities in the world, was founded in 1855. We are an inclusive, academic community known for our traditionally strong academic disciplines and professional programs, and our liberal arts foundation. Our cross- and interdisciplinary enterprises connect the sciences, humanities, and professions in practical, sustainable, and innovative ways to address society’s rapidly changing needs.

As a public, research-intensive, land-grant university funded in part by the state of Michigan, our mission is to advance knowledge and transform lives by:

providing outstanding undergraduate, graduate, and professional education to promising, qualified students in order to prepare them to contribute fully to society as globally engaged citizen leaders
        conducting research of the highest caliber that seeks to answer questions and create solutions in order to expand human understanding and make a positive difference, both locally and globally
        advancing outreach, engagement, and economic development activities that are innovative, research-driven, and lead to a better quality of life for individuals and communities, at home and around the world
        - See more at: http://president.msu.edu/mission/#sthash.cgOyCGWT.dpuf

Clearly, this is a bastion of evangelicalism.

How about Pretoria?

Vision, Mission and Values

Vision
        To be a leading research‐intensive university in Africa, recognised internationally for its quality, relevance and impact, as also for developing people, creating knowledge and making a difference locally and globally.

Mission
        In pursuing recognition and excellence in its core functions of research, teaching and learning, and integrating engagement with society and communities into these, the University of Pretoria will use quality, relevance, diversity and sustainability as its navigational markers.

Values
        The members of the University of Pretoria believe that:
        our community of scholars must be founded on the pursuit of knowledge through research, teaching and learning, with membership acquired on the basis of intellectual merit, ability and the potential for excellence; and that
        differing perspectives, arising from diverse backgrounds and histories that define our identities, deepen scholarly inquiry and enrich academic debate.
        We cherish:
        academic freedom, creative and innovative thought, ethical standards and integrity, accountability and social justice; and
        our staff and students as the University’s core asset.
        We foster:
        an inquiry‐led and evidence‐based approach to creating knowledge; and
        academic citizenship, whereby we commit ourselves to harnessing our intellectual abilities in the interest of our nation and humanity.
        We recognise that:
        in a resource‐constrained world where vast disparities remain, the University must endeavour to produce graduates who appreciate the importance of community service, entrepreneurial endeavours and innovative actions in generating employment and development in our local communities.

Obviously, the place is ran by maniacal fundies.
        The place is "RAN" by manical fundies???

You are starting to talk like one, Nickster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
          What bloody difference does it make? Superstitious people will believe superstitious claims, even in an honor-shame society, if they really want to believe a claim and especially if that claim gives them hope in this life or the next!

(There is no "u" in honor. That is an invention of the bloody Brits.) (smiling)
          1. You obviously didn't read the last part of my name.
          2. You claimed the scholarship supporting the honour-shame culture was flawed.
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

So what! Someone could do a peer reviewed article on the human-sacrifice practices of the ancient Mayans! That doesn't mean that members of the peer review board believe that human sacrifices really appease Mayan gods.

Just admit it Nick. The "evidence" for your supernatural, first century Edited by a Moderator story is pathetic. It isn't even good enough to make it into a high school history textbook.
            Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: CP

The moderation notice included instructions for you NOT to argue moderation in this thread. Please see the instructions below:

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

The place is "RAN" by manical fundies???

You are starting to talk like one, Nickster.
              1 .learn2english :D
              2. Nothing more then a unsubstantiated name call.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Edited by a Moderator
                Try asking SoR or any of the other non-believers who have been able to be on the site for over 4-7 years for tips. Calling theists Morons and essentially going for the fundy atheist approach of mischaracterizing God isn't going to work as well. You need to learn to be a part of a rational debate like Boxing Pythagoras and Sea of Red (two atheists who I respect quite a bit).
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-28-2015, 04:57 PM.
                -Unknown

I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

• Edited by a Moderator

Please do not argue moderation in this thread. Instructions for arguing moderation are included below:

Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Attention Gary....

Tweb is a very lightly moderated site. That being said, it is, indeed, a Christian run site, and we really don't need the blasphemy you have been using. (See prior posts) You are a guest here, just as I am. Please tone down the offensive language, and take some time to familiarize yourself with the rules of this forum.

Thanks,

CP

Oh, and please pay particular attention to the message below.....

Edited by a Moderator

Comment

Edited by a Moderator
                      Well, it seems that Gary is unable to have a rational discourse with a group of people who have a opposite view point.
                      -Unknown

I support the :
                      sigpic

Comment

• Gary,

I took the liberty of starting a complaint thread for you here.

Any complaints you have about moderation of blasphemous comments or references should be made in that thread.

Thanks!

CP
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Gary,

I took the liberty of starting a complaint thread for you here.

Any complaints you have about moderation of blasphemous comments or references should be made in that thread.

Thanks!

CP
                          Thank you, Moderator, but no need.

I have enjoyed our discussion. If interested in further discussion, you know where to find me. I did not use profanity, but I respect that this is a Christian blog and you have your rules, so no hard feelings.

Peace and happiness.
                          Last edited by Gary; 07-28-2015, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I have enjoyed our discussion. If interested in further discussion, you know where to find me.

Peace and happiness.
                            Gary,

If I came to your house at your invitation, and you explained to me some of your sincerely held beliefs, I would be very careful how I referenced those beliefs because I'm "in your house"..... that's all we ask here. We have other atheists and agnostics who have no problem playing by the rules.

In the thread I started, we'll be happy to discuss those issues.

To use this as an excuse to exit is... um.... a bit questionable.

Thanks

CP

Comment

• Profanity isn't the only thing that is offensive.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I have enjoyed our discussion. If interested in further discussion, you know where to find me. I did not use profanity, but I respect that this is a Christian blog and you have your rules, so no hard feelings.

Peace and happiness.
                                Minor nitpick:
                                forum, not a blog.
                                -Unknown

I support the :
                                sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X