Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I studied for a BA (Hons) and an MA in History at the University of Chichester and did both dissertations on the subject of the resurrection of Jesus.
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Hallquist is, to put it nicely, a hack.

There's decent evidence for the traditional authorship of two gospels (Mark and Luke). Many evangelical scholars will admit that the authorship of Matthew and John is more up in the air. Yet again, you spout off without actually knowing what you're talking about. Craig Keener's voluminous commentary on Matthew more or less admits he's fairly agnostic on Matthean authorship, though he slightly leans toward it. Of course, you'd have to actually read it to know that.

Saying the field has become more conservative because of wealthy Christian churches is disingenuous at best. The field has become more conservative in part as a reaction to the Jesus Seminar and in part due to the results of the Third Quest. Moreover, Rudolf Bultmann's decreasing influence has been a huge reason in the change. Form criticism has been challenged, and in my mind, significantly reduced in importance.

Strauss and Baur's theories have not stood the test of time. Price is stuck in the Tubingen School of the 19th century, which is mercifully now dead. Also, James Crossley has, to my knowledge, never held to any religion. Amy Jill-Levine is Jewish.
      Last edited by psstein; 08-30-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
        Hallquist is, to put it nicely, a hack.

There's decent evidence for the traditional authorship of two gospels (Mark and Luke). Many evangelical scholars will admit that the authorship of Matthew and John is more up in the air. Yet again, you spout off without actually knowing what you're talking about. Craig Keener's voluminous commentary on Matthew more or less admits he's fairly agnostic on Matthean authorship, though he slightly leans toward it. Of course, you'd have to actually read it to know that.

Saying the field has become more conservative because of wealthy Christian churches is disingenuous at best. The field has become more conservative in part as a reaction to the Jesus Seminar and in part due to the results of the Third Quest. Moreover, Rudolf Bultmann's decreasing influence has been a huge reason in the change. Form criticism has been challenged, and in my mind, significantly reduced in importance.

Strauss and Baur's theories have not stood the test of time. Price is stuck in the Tubingen School of the 19th century, which is mercifully now dead. Also, James Crossley has, to my knowledge, never held to any religion. Amy Jill-Levine is Jewish.
        Stein,

Do you believe that conservative Christian NT scholars working at evangelical, LCMS, or other conservative Christian universities or seminaries have free academic liberty? Would a NT scholar working at one of these institutions be able to publically express doubt regarding the bodily resurrection of Jesus and keep his job? What percentage of evangelical, LCMS, and other conservative universities and seminaries require their professors/scholars to sign a statement of faith, a statement in which they promise not to teach or promote any teaching contrary to the doctrinal positions of the denomination supporting the institution, or at a minimum, the doctrinal positions of the institution itself?
        Last edited by Gary; 08-30-2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          At my university, one religious studies professor told the media that he believed not a single professor in the department was a theist.
          And what percentage of these non-theist scholars at your university believed that Jesus was bodily resurrected from the dead?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Gary, many biblical scholars work at secular universities. Try looking up "Department of Religious Studies."

And I'm utterly unsurprised that you would buy into Hallquist hook, line, and sinker.
            Do you have a source that gives the following information:

1. The percentage of non-Christians who are NT scholars?
            2. The percentage of NT scholars who work at secular universities and the percentage who work at Christian institutions?
            3. The percentage of NT scholars who are members of an evangelical denomination?

I think these answers would be fascinating to know.

However, the most fascinating statistic would be the following:

What percentage of living, non-Christian, NT scholars believe that Jesus of Nazareth was bodily resurrected from the dead? I will bet the answer will be less than the fingers on one hand, and most probably, the answer will be "zero".

Zero, folks. No one but Christians buys this supernatural tall tale, the central claim of conservative Christianity, the claim upon which conservative/orthodox Christianity rises or falls: the reanimation of the decomposing corpse of a dead first century man/god. Christians can give list after list of Christian NT scholars who believe that there is "very strong" evidence to consider the bodily resurrection of Jesus to be an historical event, but, the fact that all, or almost all, Jewish, Muslim, and other non-Christian scholars, doubt the historicity of this event, is sufficient evidence that the "evidence" for this alleged event is weak to pathetic.
            Last edited by Gary; 08-30-2015, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
              Hallquist is, to put it nicely, a hack.

Almost half of the excerpt that I (and you) refer to primarily contains statements by Professor Berlinerblau. Are you saying that he is a hack? Here is his CV:

Jacques Berlinerblau

Director, Program for Jewish Civilization
              Professor of Jewish Civilization

Ph.D, 1999, Sociology, The New School for Social Research

Ph.D, 1991, Ancient Near Eastern Languages and Literatures, New York University

Jacques Berlinerblau holds separate doctorates in ancient Near Eastern Languages and Literatures, and in Sociology. He is currently an Associate Professor and Director of the Program for Jewish Civilization at the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.

Berlinerblau has published on a wide variety of issues ranging from the composition of the Hebrew Bible, to the sociology of heresy, to modern Jewish intellectuals, to African-American and Jewish-American relations. His articles on these and other subjects have appeared in Biblica, Journal for the Study of the Old Testament, Semeia, Biblical Interpretation, Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages, Hebrew Studies, Journal of the American Academy of Religion, and History of Religions.

He has published five books, the most recent being How to Be Secular: A Call to Arms for Religious Freedom (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. His previous works include Thumpin' It: The Use and Abuse of the Bible in Today's Presidential Politics (Westminster John Knox), Heresy in the University: The Black Athena Controversy and the Responsibility of American Intellectuals (Rutgers University Press), and The Secular Bible: Why Nonbelievers Must Take Religion Seriously (Cambridge University Press).

CV

Download cv.pdf

Education

PhD (1996) The New School for Social Research, Sociology
              PhD (1991) New York University, Ancient Near Eastern Languages and Literatures

Languages

French (speak, read)
              German (read)
              Hebrew (speak, read, write)
              Italian (speak, read

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                What percentage of living, non-Christian, NT scholars believe that Jesus of Nazareth was bodily resurrected from the dead?
                Are you seriously asking if there are non-Christians who believe that Christianity is true? I have to say, I wasn't aware that there existed people who are this monumentally and superlatively stupid. Next you'll be asking for theists who believe that there is no God.

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                I will bet the answer will be less than the fingers on one hand, and most probably, the answer will be "zero".
                I bet the answer is zero too. I am not aware of a single person who accepts the truth of Christianity whilst simultaneously not being a Christian. It's simply basic logic. The two things stand in an identity relation with one another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                  I bet the answer is zero too. I am not aware of a single person who accepts the truth of Christianity whilst simultaneously not being a Christian. It's simply basic logic. The two things stand in an identity relation with one another.
                  Not necessarily. I don't have the slightest difficulty conceiving of someone who accepts the truth of Christianity, while refusing to submit to God because of some sort of hatred towards Him.

Comment

The previously mentioned Jewish theologian, Pinchas Lapide comes to mind. He's a bit of an anomaly of course.

Comment

Westmont University theology professor Telford Work wrote:

It is not only in the Bible that I have seen the distinction between acknowledgement of Jesus' resurrection and confession of him as Lord and Christ. I saw it in a friend and student who became convinced of the reality of the resurrection, but still refused to entrust her future to the risen one. It is simply not enough to see that God raised Jesus from the dead.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• I'm not a bit surprised he quoted Hallquist. I'm in fact surprised he hadn't quoted someone like him so far.

Oh. We never got definitions of "good", "just", "merciful", and "perfect" did we?

Comment

• There would no doubt be the occasional person who came to believe that Christ was resurrected in the flesh, and decide that the resurrection was designed to lead people to follow a false god. This would be particularly relevant to those who have been steeped in teachings "proving" that God cannot be a trinity.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                            Almost half of the excerpt that I (and you) refer to primarily contains statements by Professor Berlinerblau. Are you saying that he is a hack? Here is his CV:

Jacques Berlinerblau

Director, Program for Jewish Civilization
                            Professor of Jewish Civilization

Ph.D, 1999, Sociology, The New School for Social Research

Ph.D, 1991, Ancient Near Eastern Languages and Literatures, New York University

Jacques Berlinerblau holds separate doctorates in ancient Near Eastern Languages and Literatures, and in Sociology. He is currently an Associate Professor and Director of the Program for Jewish Civilization at the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University.

Berlinerblau has published on a wide variety of issues ranging from the composition of the Hebrew Bible, to the sociology of heresy, to modern Jewish intellectuals, to African-American and Jewish-American relations. His articles on these and other subjects have appeared in Biblica, Journal for the Study of the Old Testament, Semeia, Biblical Interpretation, Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages, Hebrew Studies, Journal of the American Academy of Religion, and History of Religions.

He has published five books, the most recent being How to Be Secular: A Call to Arms for Religious Freedom (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. His previous works include Thumpin' It: The Use and Abuse of the Bible in Today's Presidential Politics (Westminster John Knox), Heresy in the University: The Black Athena Controversy and the Responsibility of American Intellectuals (Rutgers University Press), and The Secular Bible: Why Nonbelievers Must Take Religion Seriously (Cambridge University Press).

CV

Download cv.pdf

Education

PhD (1996) The New School for Social Research, Sociology
                            PhD (1991) New York University, Ancient Near Eastern Languages and Literatures

Languages

French (speak, read)
                            German (read)
                            Hebrew (speak, read, write)
                            Italian (speak, read
                            Given that CV, I'd call him a well-educated hack. And those are kind of minimal language qualifications for biblical scholarship.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• If the guy's never been to a meeting of the SBL, he has no room to talk.

Just as recently as 2012, John Dominic Crossan was the president of the SBL. You know that guy? He's one of the main members of the Jesus Seminar.

So a large organization of evangelical Christians (supposedly) elected John Dominic Crossan as their president?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Given that CV, I'd call him a well-educated hack.
                                Richard Carrier has a PhD in the history of Roman Science, and he's most definitely a hack.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                And those are kind of minimal language qualifications for biblical scholarship.
                                Most PhDs require Greek, Latin, Hebrew, German, and French as a base/bare minimum, with the remaining languages being optional, usually Syriac, Aramaic, Coptic, Italian, Spanish, and/or Arabic. For instance, this is the PhD I want to do:
                                http://www.utexas.edu/cola/rs/gradua...iterranean.php

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X