X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    You, sir, are irrational. I have evidence of this by the moniker you selected with which to be identified on this forum.

Comment

• "So, I think to myself: He is either lying, misunderstood what he saw, or it happened. Assuming I understood the story he told (and I sometimes doubt that), these are the only three conceivable alternatives. The first two are very hard to believe. Therefore, I think I believe the third."

people lie all the time, but I dont think this guy is.

the guy misunderstood what he saw is hard to believe even though people making mistakes happens routinely and is well documented...

the only rational conclusion to draw is that the miracles were real.

I laughed a little. c'mon - you guys have to at least see how this looks....

Comment

Fixed that for you.
        right. quite obviously he can perform that miracle anytime he wants. he could prove it to Gary, he just chooses not to.

Gray has already chosen not to believe. so witnessing a real miracle wouldnt work for him... even though it seems to have for Isaac, Jacob, Gideon, Naaman, the Israelites, Moses, Hezekiah, Thomas and the other apostles... but other than them, witnessing a real miracle wouldnt work since Gary has doesnt want to believe it them...

even though his belief in the color of the sky wouldnt change even if wanted to believe it was another color, and other such obvious things...

Comment

You are being less than truthful here, Gary. The author finds it difficult to believe Keener's claims, but does so anyway:
          Source: Reclaiming the Mind

J. P. Moreland, however, told a story that has all the makings for my belief. Therefore, I think I believe it. The story was certainly not something that was obscure like back pain. As I mentioned earlier, he related how he watched an ear grow back (at least in part). Moreland is no lightweight uncritical scholar. Over the years he has gained my trust, both through personal interaction with him and via his scholarly writings. He has also had the courage to change his theological position on some things that would otherwise be hard to change. Furthermore, the story itself contains an element of embarrassment in that the ear only grew back partially!

So, I think to myself: He is either lying, misunderstood what he saw, or it happened. Assuming I understood the story he told (and I sometimes doubt that), these are the only three conceivable alternatives. The first two are very hard to believe. Therefore, I think I believe the third.

© Copyright Original Source

He believes that Moreland saw an ear sprout, but he has trouble believing Keneer's miracle claims. He says that he WANTS to believe Keneer's claims, but it is obvious that he doesn't.

Big difference.

Comment

• for the believers on this forum, I've sort of devolved into a few sniping comments here and there. I dont think I've gotten out of control, but i prefer to avoid that type of behavior. So sorry.

For me, I think we've pretty much exhausted our view on miracles and what we think is credible or incredible.

So, if I could, I have two questions:

1) there are mass witnesses to miracles of catholics, Hindus, Buddhists and others - would you believe these miracles if there were multiple reports of them?

2) Were raised with a belief in the Bible, or were any of you raised in either an opposing religion or raised truly atheistic?

Comment

• Originally posted by William View Post
              "So, I think to myself: He is either lying, misunderstood what he saw, or it happened. Assuming I understood the story he told (and I sometimes doubt that), these are the only three conceivable alternatives. The first two are very hard to believe. Therefore, I think I believe the third."

people lie all the time, but I dont think this guy is.

the guy misunderstood what he saw is hard to believe even though people making mistakes happens routinely and is well documented...

the only rational conclusion to draw is that the miracles were real.

I laughed a little. c'mon - you guys have to at least see how this looks....
              How many Christians on this forum believe that Christians can make a man's severed ear sprout by praying over him? If you do, I want to see you back up your belief with some action: Call up your local hospital and volunteer to be on emergency standby for any "ear amputations". Tell them you will be right down, and with Jesus help, you will cause all the severed ears to sprout back.

Comment

for the believers on this forum, I've sort of devolved into a few sniping comments here and there. I dont think I've gotten out of control, but i prefer to avoid that type of behavior. So sorry.

For me, I think we've pretty much exhausted our view on miracles and what we think is credible or incredible.

1) there are mass witnesses to miracles of catholics, Hindus, Buddhists and others - would you believe these miracles if there were multiple reports of them?
                Yes.

2) Were raised with a belief in the Bible, or were any of you raised in either an opposing religion or raised truly atheistic?
                Raised in a hippy cult that taught that orthodox Christianity was a lie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  Yes.

out of curiosity, what was the name of the cult?

I was raised Church of Christ. Pretty much fundamentalists who thought everyone else was hell bound.

and I get that one is not "born christian", but I think everyone gets the question. I'm not trying to trip anyone up with work play or anything.

Comment

Yes.

and also, what are your christian beliefs?

I ask, because if i find multiple sources for at least one mass miracle that is not christian, how would you take that? What that mean about your understanding of God to you?

Comment

• Is anyone going to refute Dr. Johnson or just ignore his position by claiming he is Begging the Question?

Comment

out of curiosity, what was the name of the cult?
                        The Way

Comment

and also, what are your christian beliefs?
                          orthodox with a little "o". I don't belong to any denomination.

I ask, because if i find multiple sources for at least one mass miracle that is not christian, how would you take that? What that mean about your understanding of God to you?
                          You've already asked these questions, and I've already answered them.

Comment

orthodox with a little "o". I don't belong to any denomination.

You've already asked these questions, and I've already answered them.
                            yeah, sorry. I just dont recall your exact answer to this one. I recall being uncertain of what you were saying bit didnt want to pry. No worries. I'm too lazy and too busy to go back through the old threads and if you dont want to elaborate, I dont want to pry.

I am curious not argue over it, but just to learn how differently people view this than I would have when i was a believer.

Comment

The Way
                              as in The Way International? or is that something else?

Comment

for the believers on this forum, I've sort of devolved into a few sniping comments here and there. I dont think I've gotten out of control, but i prefer to avoid that type of behavior. So sorry.

1) Yes, I would.

2) Depends what you mean. I was raised in a very liberal form of Judaism (Reform), and neither of my parents are at all religious. My mother is more or less an apatheist and my father a deist. I was more or less an agnostic by the time I was 15. In high school, I fluctuated between atheism, agnosticism, and deism.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X