Commentary thread for "You might be a libertarian if…"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    And then there are those who drink it straight from a box...
    Some just skip the box and go straight for the source:

IMG_5225.jpg

While others go even further:

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      While others go even further:

"Veins"? In vain doth I understand why not "arteries."
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        "Veins"? In vain doth I understand why not "arteries."
        Please accept my apologies for making a post that should not have been posted. That was not my finest TWeb moment.
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Just popping back in here since my book is out, and I remember anarchy coming up in this thread. I was a very thin minarchist at the time of my last comment, but found that the arguments used to de-legitimize the big state, if consistently applied, serve to de-legitimize the small state, thus I have to recognize I am philosophically anarchist in my POV (though I prefer the term voluntaryist for several reasons). I do talk about this quite a bit on FB so you can find me there. All of these are subsets of libertarian thought.

**I prefer voluntaryist for the following reasons

1. It is less threatening and does not invoke images of throwing Molotov cocktails into buildings. All voluntaryists hold to the Non Aggression Principle. Not all anarchists do. I do as do all of my circle of friends.

2. It has a nuance anarchy does not have. Voluntaryism makes no statement about the form a voluntary society would take. Theoretically there could be a voluntary monarchy or any kind of "archy." Anarchy is categorically against political rulers. I am a voluntaryist who's personal preference is anarchy.

3. I depart from orthodox voluntaryism in their rejection of using political processes. I remain highly involved and committed to the LP. There is a significant minority of voluntaryists/anarchists in the LP.

4. I am a pessimistic voluntaryist and practically think that shrinking the state is the best that can be peacefully obtained so gladly work in any capacity in a reductionist agenda, though my personal views are not reductionist but abolitionist.

Will my views change again? Probably. But this is the current form, and I think the logical end of questioning the authority of the state in ownership of the individual and his justly acquired property (which property includes his own body) is a form of voluntaryism.

Anyway wanted to clear that up. I think in the past few years I had pretty much called anarchists nutbars. Well, I was wrong. If the position has a major flaw it is nit that it is nutter, it is that it is too rationalistic.

Here is a fun test btw to see where you might fall http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi
          Last edited by Darth Xena; 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM.
          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Sparko, I thought you saw this post.

sigpic

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
                Here is a fun test btw to see where you might fall http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi
                I got a 17. But I hate binary questions that are too vague to really mean anything useful.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  I got a 17. But I hate binary questions that are too vague to really mean anything useful.
                  I find these questions pretty specific... There are a few not, but the test is pretty geared towards a libertarian context. I got 160

sigpic

Comment

75. But like miley cyrus um, BtC, I don't like these sort of tests.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sparko, I thought you saw this post.
                      nope
                      So what does an anarchist do?

Comment

Just popping back in here since my book is out, and I remember anarchy coming up in this thread. I was a very thin minarchist at the time of my last comment, but found that the arguments used to de-legitimize the big state, if consistently applied, serve to de-legitimize the small state, thus I have to recognize I am philosophically anarchist in my POV (though I prefer the term voluntaryist for several reasons). I do talk about this quite a bit on FB so you can find me there. All of these are subsets of libertarian thought.

**I prefer voluntaryist for the following reasons

1. It is less threatening and does not invoke images of throwing Molotov cocktails into buildings. All voluntaryists hold to the Non Aggression Principle. Not all anarchists do. I do as do all of my circle of friends.

2. It has a nuance anarchy does not have. Voluntaryism makes no statement about the form a voluntary society would take. Theoretically there could be a voluntary monarchy or any kind of "archy." Anarchy is categorically against political rulers. I am a voluntaryist who's personal preference is anarchy.

3. I depart from orthodox voluntaryism in their rejection of using political processes. I remain highly involved and committed to the LP. There is a significant minority of voluntaryists/anarchists in the LP.

4. I am a pessimistic voluntaryist and practically think that shrinking the state is the best that can be peacefully obtained so gladly work in any capacity in a reductionist agenda, though my personal views are not reductionist but abolitionist.

Will my views change again? Probably. But this is the current form, and I think the logical end of questioning the authority of the state in ownership of the individual and his justly acquired property (which property includes his own body) is a form of voluntaryism.

Anyway wanted to clear that up. I think in the past few years I had pretty much called anarchists nutbars. Well, I was wrong. If the position has a major flaw it is nit that it is nutter, it is that it is too rationalistic.

I got a 29, a soft-core libertarian.

Comment

31-50 points: Your libertarian credentials are obvious. Doubtlessly you will become more extreme as time goes on.

Understand the political spectrum:

<The extreme left is total government control----------the extreme right is anarchy>
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

122, fascinating....

Even though I have leaned away from Libertarianism, guess I still persist in some of it, heh.
                            Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                            As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

What the scores are suppose to mean:
                              http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi?vm=r
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                nope
                                So what does an anarchist do?
                                LOL so how long has it been since you unfollowed me on FB?

Not sure I understand though ... I didn't become an alien. I do the same the things I did before:).

I assume you mean politically? And that remains the same. If I can work to drastically reduce the state via political means I do. Very active in the LP. Part of a primarily anarchist caucus.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X