Announcement

Collapse

Sorority Guidelines

Here is the Hen House. We gather and talk about men, shoes, clothing, and if those wings are all they are cracked up to be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The validity of PMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a completely unrelated note, I vote Quanta's avatar for Most Annoying Avatar of the Year... Sheesh!!!!

I have PMS and when I was younger I had to have prescription meds to handle the cramping (which started the day of - never been sure if that counts or not). Irregular as heck, moody as all get out and irritable as the devil for at least one day, made an already poor social life even worse. The weird thing was that I finally learned to tell that I was about to start by the sudden burst of energy I'd get a few days before.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Oddly enough, my severe menstrual symptoms will get alot better with the better with the birth and breastfeeding of a child. (looking forward to this) however after several years this relief will dissappear. I did notice that the severity lessened somewhat after my 1st pregnancy delivery and nursing phase. However a couple years after I weaned my daughter the symptoms returned albeit differently. I expect something similar to happen this time around.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I suspect PMS is the real reason God didn't make women physically stronger than men - we'd have killed them all by now otherwise...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I have to take more antidepressants than I normally do a week before my period because my PMS gets bad and aggravates my depression.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
          "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
            I have to take more antidepressants than I normally do a week before my period because my PMS gets bad and aggravates my depression.
            Should I change the title?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Should I change the title?
              you're fine. I'm not offended or anything. Just adding.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

The was for you not feeling as well every month.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  The was for you not feeling as well every month.
                  thank you

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                    (Warning: this post might be a bit TMI.)

My mother was the same way, but maybe I am luckier than you in that the only symptoms I got were bad diarrhea, vomiting, profuse sweating, mood change/irritability and usually a mild headache and/or backache. I didn't get all the other symptoms along with those, like food craving and cramps and the like. I didn't have insomnia, I don't think, the only reason I didn't sleep that first night each time was because I was in the bathroom all night. My mother not letting me use it as an excuse prepared me for later on when I had jobs that did not have paid sick leave. I would go to work anyway that day and only leave early once the diarrhea and vomiting got too frequent for me to actually do my job. I wish I'd been able to ask for that day off but I never knew how many weeks I'd have before my cycle decided to randomly start over.

But anyway, I did eventually get a job that not only had paid sick leave, but I could afford healthcare which means I finally saw a doctor and am medicated for it now. I haven't had to stay home from work since. I love modern medicine.
                    Hm... you're the first person I've heard of who had a problem with vomiting! I only had that problem with the migraine-level headaches (which were occasionally so painful I did vomit). The diarrhea I understand though, since I got a milder version of that too. I've also never heard of sweating being an issue! I mean, on top of everything else, that had to be "just one more thing"!

The two worst symptoms were the headaches/migraines and the sleep disturbances. I could accurately predict when my period would come based on these two symptoms alone: one night of insomnia, one night of over sleeping, and then 6 hours before I started bleeding the mother of all awful headaches. I'd be unable to move for 6 hours because the pain was so severe. Then, BOOM, blood.

To be truthful, PMS was..... was... tolerable. My major problem was that it was in conjunction with my endomtriosis. It caused my periods to be intense and painful, and I got them every 2 weeks! Then, if that wasn't bad enough, I also had throbbing/stabbing pains where my ovaries where after my period ended for a week. (And later as things got worse, my uterus thought it'd be a good idea to congeal itself to other organs nearby. TOTALLY NOT COOL.) So, basically, once a month I was a pain free "normal" feeling person.

Birth control is, like, the best thing ever! I feel... free... from a lot of the pain I was going through. (Some of it could only be corrected through surgery, but PMS and such B/C handles.) I'm so glad you eventually got a point where you could be freed from the worst of your symptoms! I truly understand how great that is!

Comment

Originally posted by draw2much View Post
                      Hm... you're the first person I've heard of who had a problem with vomiting!
                      The nausea/vomiting was easily my worst symptom. (In fact, my gynecologist gave me a prescription for Zofran to use until the birth control pills kicked in.) The diarrheah was a close second-worst symptom. I never had cramps, but it did feel like my gut was on fire. If I didn't get the on-fire feeling, it would be a sort of extremely severe discomfort in my lower abdomen. I don't know how else to describe it. To say it was unpleasant is an understatement. And I still had to go to work and help customers, but I'd be careful to make sure I was assigned to a department that was close to the only restroom in the store, switching with a coworker if need be.

I've also never heard of sweating being an issue! I mean, on top of everything else, that had to be "just one more thing"!
                      It was worse when I was younger. Once I was in my late 20's it wasn't quite as bad, but I'd usually sweat so much I'd literally (and I'm using the word correctly!) be as wet as if I'd just gotten out of the shower without drying off. Between that and the other syptoms, I'd be pretty dehydrated but I couldn't keep anything down, so I couldn't keep my blood sugar up and I'd be light-headed and shaky. I have always had blood sugar problems as it is and the inability to eat or drink made it worse. I eventually discovered that I could sip on ginger ale and keep it down just long enough for some of the sugar to get into my bloodstream.

Birth control is, like, the best thing ever! I feel... free... from a lot of the pain I was going through. (Some of it could only be corrected through surgery, but PMS and such B/C handles.) I'm so glad you eventually got a point where you could be freed from the worst of your symptoms! I truly understand how great that is!
                      Indeed!
                      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        On a completely unrelated note, I vote Quanta's avatar for Most Annoying Avatar of the Year... Sheesh!!!!
                        I thought it was appropriate, given how the New TWeb is not fully set up yet. I can change it now, if you like. I wasn't going to keep it long as I never have liked animated avatars.

ETA: Here's the avatar being discussed:

blinking clock.gif
                        Last edited by QuantaFille; 02-19-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Boy, do I know how to kill a thread, or what?

Oooh, idea for a new avatar. Teal, how's this?

ThreadKiller.jpg

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I was just giving you a hard time - besides, not being able to set the clock on the VCR/stove/you name it is soooooo 80's - 90's.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                                Boy, do I know how to kill a thread, or what?

Oooh, idea for a new avatar. Teal, how's this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]314[/ATTACH]
                                Actually, reading this thread has pretty much taught me not to complain much again about that 'time of the month'.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X