Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Wood Chopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Chopping

Has anyone done this? Is it harder than it looks?

I have some small logs too large for the fireplace. I'm considering buying an axe and giving it a go.

The idea sound awesome. No shirt. Stubble beard. All man. I may have to find an isolated space, otherwise the ladies will come flocking and have to shoo them away like pigeons. I don't want to put my wife through that, you know? Any suggestions?

Originally posted by nico View Post
    Has anyone done this? Is it harder than it looks?

I have some small logs too large for the fireplace. I'm considering buying an axe and giving it a go.

The idea sound awesome. No shirt. Stubble beard. All man. I may have to find an isolated space, otherwise the ladies will come flocking and have to shoo them away like pigeons. I don't want to put my wife through that, you know? Any suggestions?
    If the wood is too large in diameter rather than being too long I would suggest splitting it with a wedge and sledgehammer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

First trick is to strike at slight angles -- from the left, then the right, then the left, then the right... Don't chop straight down

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Practice is the main thing. When I split wood often I was good at it. Many years later I use the wedge and hammer method.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

"too large for the fireplace" would seem to indicate a problem with length. If that's the case, and you don't have a chain saw, you really need a good sharp axe.

If you're going to "split" firewood, and you're not accustomed to it, I have a "city slicker" method that I recommend, that involves a splitting wedge.

splitter.jpgsplitter engaged.JPG

You stand the firewood up, then, using a sledge hammer, drive this wedge into the center of the top of the firewood. Then, wearing gloves, turn the wood upside down so the wedge, still lodged in the wood, is on the bottom, and smash the wood onto another log or a concrete slab. You're less likely to chop your foot off that way.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And if you are indeed talking about splitting (reduce diameter) rather then chopping (reduce length), the wedge is a great way to go. But a splitting maul is also needed. A maul and axe are different - the maul is typically heavier and has a wider taper. The combination of those two things lets the maul split the log rather than simply burying the head in the wood as an axe would do. I've split wood with an axe before and it is much harder work than using a splitting maul.

If you mean shorten the length, I use a chainsaw so don't have any advice for that part.
            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

The firewood is actually split already the way you so kindly posted above.

It is a problem of width, not so much length. I can fit a couple pieces in there but to get them lit is a hassle. It's not a large fireplace. If I can make some thinner pieces it would be great. Any suggestions on splitting the pieces further than what I see above?

Comment

Dynamite.

Okay. Maybe not a good idea but it would be ... rogue tech style

Comment

OK, in that case a maul would work very well. Since it's already split a lighter maul could be used rather than one of the 10 pound monsters.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-Su...=friskers+maul

This is the one I use but they have different lengths as you might need.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Dynamite.

Okay. Maybe not a good idea but it would be ... rogue tech style
                      Please supply a video on this technique.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                        Please supply a video on this technique.
                        I didn't even have to ask my lawyer to know that providing video tape evidence probably would not be a good move.

00000000000dlwr.jpg

See? See? My lawyer DOES agree!

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                          http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-Su...=friskers+maul

This is the one I use but they have different lengths as you might need.
                          Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I couldn't wait for shipping and went on the discount instead. I drove to Harbor Freight down the road with my 20% off coupon and bought an 8lb maul for $19. I split some nice pieces. It felt awesome.

Although, I came about an inch away from losing my big toe and my form probably made me look like a disabled orangutan. That said, I'm pretty sure "pigeons" will never be an issue and my wife can enjoy laughing at me through the window.

Comment

I use (well used to and will again when the arm is healed) one of these: http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/garden...er_6lb_120173/

Last winter though a mate split my wood for me ('cause of my arm) and he used one of these: http://www.bunnings.co.nz/masport-5-...tter_p00265982
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X