Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Tachomoters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachomoters

Do you have one in your car/truck?

Do you pay any attention to it?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    yes

yes, although mostly only when using the tip-tronic gearbox.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      yes, although mostly only when using the tip-tronic gearbox.
      Ohhhhhh... I want one of those!!!! (what is it?)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ohhhhhh... I want one of those!!!! (what is it?)
        tip-tronic it's an automatic that allows you to pop it over into manual.

Both my work Audi A4 and my Honda Odyssey have it.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          tip-tronic it's an automatic that allows you to pop it over into manual.

Both my work Audi A4 and my Honda Odyssey have it.
          Ah... I drove an "automatic" standard Volkswagen years ago... gotcha!

Comment

No I don't have a tachomoter. But I do have a tachometer and yes I pay attention to it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What about a tacometer? It tells you how good the taco is before you eat it.

Let me guess, rogue tech already has a patent.

Comment

Yes and no.

No, in that I've always shifted by feel. If I am accelerating and I "feel" it slowing down a hair, I shift. If it feels like it is lugging down, I shift. I don't need to look at the tach for that, not in a vehicle that I've been driving for years.

Yes, in that the info is there, and it's hard not to notice.

My wife's car drives me nuts. Blip the throttle to take off, and the darn thing rev's to the moon. Like 2k. Hyperactive throttle, severe tip-in. I'm going to guess the clutch will go the distance though. My car, no severe tip-in, but it actually has a bit of torque off-idle, so it doesn't need too much to get going. Wife's car usually needs 1,500rpm to take off from a stop, my car I'm abusing it if I hit 1,100rpm. The other day I was caning it, and realized that it does indeed now pull to near redline, was impressed with that. [Redline is 4,700rpm.]

My truck OTOH has one of those automatics, and while I like it sometimes most of the time it drives me nuts! Thankfully I can at least force it to downshift--it won't upshift unless if it wants to. It wouldn't be so bad, but that darn torque convertor lockup programming is for the birds. If it has a proper clutch I know I could lug that engine down to 1,100rpm on hills with no problem--but it likes to just not shift how I want it to!
                No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  What about a tacometer? It tells you how good the taco is before you eat it.

Let me guess, rogue tech already has a patent.
                  Who leaked it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
                    Yes and no.

No, in that I've always shifted by feel. If I am accelerating and I "feel" it slowing down a hair, I shift. If it feels like it is lugging down, I shift. I don't need to look at the tach for that, not in a vehicle that I've been driving for years.
                    I had a '69 Mercury Cyclone once, with a 351 Cleveland engine, 4 on the floor, and after leaving 1st gear, I didn't even need the clutch --- just "felt" it needing to change, eased off the gas just a wee bit, and slipped into the next gear just as smooth as anything.

It had a tach, but I didn't really need it except for fun.

Comment

The rev-limiter on my RX-8 intervenes at 9,500 rpms.
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I made sure I had a tach as part of the instrument cluster when I went car shopping in Dec. I look at it mostly when the engine is cold, so I don't rev it too much before it's warm. I mostly shift by feel though.

I can't stand driving automatics 'cause they never shift when I want them to.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I can't stand driving automatics 'cause they never shift when I want them to.
                          One of the reasons I started this thread is because my Mercury Mountaineer has a tach, and after 220,000 miles, the automatic transmission shifts downright smoothly, and just about the places where I'd do it if I were manually shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean
                            I glance at mine now and then while driving. I rarely use it for gear shifting...just for steep slopes.
                            Eek! A girl!
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Eek! A girl!
                              Get a rope. A pink one.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X