Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Smoking or Grilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking or Grilling

My sister and her husband recently moved to their newly purchased farm. My brother in law had bought a new propane smoker that he loved, so for helping him move, he gave me his old smoker. Today is Memorial day, and my wife and kids wanted me to smoke some ribs. I soaked them overnight in a marinade of Dr Pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, teriyaki sauce. As I put them on the smoker, I sprinkle them with a combination of bourbon brown sugar rub and Hidden Valley Ranch dressing powder. I just put took them off the smoker after 4 hours of smoking over a combination of Pecan and Pear woods and put them in the Oven. I plan on cooking them about 4 hours at 225 deg... Can't wait till their done to try them!
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

I used to (haven't in a long time) smoke a half side of beef or a nice big brisket, but I would put it in the smoker late at night - white oak wood with chunks of mesquite that I had soaked in water for extra smoke.

I discovered the secret was doing this late at night, then going to bed so I'm not tempted to peek at the meat as it cooked. Every time you open the lid to peek, you're losing heat and smoke.

And... you think GIRLS don't grill or smoke? You SEXIST, you!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      But they do not talk about it in the Frat . . .
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I never tried smoking meat before. Tobacco and other herbal materials, but never meat.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I never tried smoking meat before. Tobacco and other herbal materials, but never meat.
          Yeah, you never could find big enough ZigZag papers.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, you never could find big enough ZigZag papers.
            You never saw the one included in that Cheech and Chong album from the early 70s

0000000000c&crp.jpg 0000000000c&crp2.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              You never saw the one included in that Cheech and Chong album from the early 70s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6738[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6739[/ATTACH]
              MAYBE you could smoke a hamburger with that, but not a brisket or a side of beef.

Comment

Sometimes I just want a good "cooked out" hotdog, and rather than fire up my 4 burner gas grill, or get the coals glowing on my BBQ pit / smoker (takes a GOOD half hour to do it right) I bought one of those cheap portable propane grills.

grill.jpg

When we did our Car Clinic at the Church, I brought it along and cooked hotdogs for the Church Crew and visitors, and it really went over great!

Comment

My brother has an infrared smoker that does a really nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Same here. Did a great job during Thanksgiving last year

Comment

I used to (haven't in a long time) smoke a half side of beef or a nice big brisket, but I would put it in the smoker late at night - white oak wood with chunks of mesquite that I had soaked in water for extra smoke.

I discovered the secret was doing this late at night, then going to bed so I'm not tempted to peek at the meat as it cooked. Every time you open the lid to peek, you're losing heat and smoke.
                      I don't have a big enough firebox on mine to let it smoke all night. I usually start with a little bit of charcoal then add soaked wood for the smoke. I LOVE Mesquite for Beef and Venison. Smoked a Turkey last Thanksgiving using a mix of Pecan and Mesquite...it turned out really well.

Around my house/my family, grilling and smoking are left to the menfolk... None of them want to stand out in the heat (or lately RAIN) in order to fix supper....
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        honestly never heard of an infrared smoker...

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          I don't have a big enough firebox on mine to let it smoke all night. I usually start with a little bit of charcoal then add soaked wood for the smoke. I LOVE Mesquite for Beef and Venison. Smoked a Turkey last Thanksgiving using a mix of Pecan and Mesquite...it turned out really well.
                          I have a nice sized firebox on the side at the bottom, and I get it burning pretty hot, then there are dampers to restrict both the intake air and the smoke at the top. Makes for a really nice smoky smoke chamber.

Around my house/my family, grilling and smoking are left to the menfolk... None of them want to stand out in the heat (or lately RAIN) in order to fix supper....
                          Yeah, I have a friend, my exact same age, kinda, whose wife does all the grilling. It just aint right!

Comment

I have a nice sized firebox on the side at the bottom, and I get it burning pretty hot, then there are dampers to restrict both the intake air and the smoke at the top. Makes for a really nice smoky smoke chamber.
                            Sounds like a big un. Mines more like this:

smoker.jpg
                            I usually "cold smoke" my meat for 4-6 hours then put it in the oven overnight at really low temp...like 225 deg.

Yeah, I have a friend, my exact same age, kinda, whose wife does all the grilling. It just aint right!
                            You got that right!

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              Sounds like a big un. Mines more like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6804[/ATTACH]
                              Mine's more like this (at the bottom of the post), but this'n ain't mine.... You can "grill" over the firebox, or use the firebox just for wood for the smoke chamber.

I usually "cold smoke" my meat for 4-6 hours then put it in the oven overnight at really low temp...like 225 deg.
                              EGGzackly... mine usually smokes through most of the night, then begins to cool off by morning - So, yeah, I'll wrap it in foil and put it in the oven, usually at 200 degrees.

Hmmmmm Tweb did WEIRD things with my pics, but you can figger it out.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X