Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Rum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I've heard good things about Zacapa 23. I have yet to try it.

    My most recent rum was Appleton V/X. It's typically a mixer but I like to drink it straight.
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
      I've heard good things about Zacapa 23. I have yet to try it.

      My most recent rum was Appleton V/X. It's typically a mixer but I like to drink it straight.
      Appleton V/X is pretty decent for the price (I had a bottle of their Reserve a while back which was nice; I've heard their 12-year is disappointing, but Your Mileage May Vary). I had my eye on a bottle of Zacapa 23 at the liquor store, but I decided to get the slightly cheaper Santa Teresa 1796 (I've heard the taste of this one gets a little cloying if you drink it too often. It's more for special occasions, and I figure 'once a week with my online pals' constitutes a special occasion).

      Right now I'm working on a bottle of Cockspur 12. Contrary to what people say, it's not a 12-Year rum; it's actually a blend of rums aged between 4-17 years to try and emulate a 12-year flavor. It's pretty good actually. It's got a sweet/dry citrus peel flavor, with lots of baking-spice heat (which I've concluded is where 'the burn' from any good spirit comes from).
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

      Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

      Here, sort of... PM me for my Steam and Discord Information, if it tickles your Fancy and want to talk more there.

      Comment


      • #18
        I think my next rum purchase will be Mount Gay. Have any of you guys tried it?
        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
        -Marcus Aurelius

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
          I think my next rum purchase will be Mount Gay. Have any of you guys tried it?
          I've seen the Eclipse and the Extra Old at my liquor store. Them and Flor de Cana's 5/7/12 are on my "Potential" lists.
          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

          Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

          Here, sort of... PM me for my Steam and Discord Information, if it tickles your Fancy and want to talk more there.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
            I've seen the Eclipse and the Extra Old at my liquor store. Them and Flor de Cana's 5/7/12 are on my "Potential" lists.
            Speaking of Mount Gay XO...

            It's good stuff, which makes sense, considering there are some who consider it one of the 'Standards' for Rum. Whether it's worth the extra $10 compared to Cockspur 12 (another Bajan/Barbados rum), I'll leave up to you.
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

            Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

            Here, sort of... PM me for my Steam and Discord Information, if it tickles your Fancy and want to talk more there.

            Comment


            • #21
              I can't stand rum (we drink whisky in Scotland, obviously...) but my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Mauritius where they have big sugar plantations and made a lot of rum. They gave out free samples at the factory we visited. The neat stuff was pretty awful, but they also sold it flavoured with coffee (quite nice) or chocolate & vanilla (yum)
              ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

              Comment


              • #22
                Recently ran out of tequila while preparing to make some margaritas over at a friend's house. Since it was Sunday, and you can't buy liquor on that day around here (although you can buy beer and wine), I ended up making some "rumaritas" which turned out to be surprisingly good.

                I'm always still in trouble again

                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                  I can't stand rum (we drink whisky in Scotland, obviously...) but my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Mauritius where they have big sugar plantations and made a lot of rum. They gave out free samples at the factory we visited. The neat stuff was pretty awful, but they also sold it flavoured with coffee (quite nice) or chocolate & vanilla (yum)
                  Just curious, but how many different rums have you tried?

                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Recently ran out of tequila while preparing to make some margaritas over at a friend's house. Since it was Sunday, and you can't buy liquor on that day around here (although you can buy beer and wine), I ended up making some "rumaritas" which turned out to be surprisingly good.
                  That doesn't surprise me. I've heard of people using rum in an old-fashioned with pleasant results.
                  Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

                  Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

                  Here, sort of... PM me for my Steam and Discord Information, if it tickles your Fancy and want to talk more there.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    [QUOTE=Chaotic Void;220693]Just curious, but how many different rums have you tried?[quote]
                    Meh, not many at all. Basically a few mass-produced ones. I guess it's kinda the same with whisky in the USA - you guys generally only get pigswill compared with the single malts that are made within a day's drive from my house :D
                    ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                      Meh, not many at all. Basically a few mass-produced ones. I guess it's kinda the same with whisky in the USA - you guys generally only get pigswill compared with the single malts that are made within a day's drive from my house :D
                      Rum's a pretty diverse spirit. There's a few rums out there that people consider 'Standards,' depending on their type (Mount Gay XO, Appleton Extra, El Dorado 12/15 Year, Barbancourt 5-Star, etc), but it's always good to start with a rum that's got some similarities to a drink you already like.
                      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

                      Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

                      Here, sort of... PM me for my Steam and Discord Information, if it tickles your Fancy and want to talk more there.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by myth View Post
                        My experience with rum is mostly limited to drinking Captain Morgan and coke when I ran out of bourbon one time.
                        I don't remember the brand of Jamaican Rum, but to me rum is synonymous with "Rum and coke" as in the song, "Drinking rum and...Coca-Cola...dollah". Almost as bad for me as Coffee booze (Tequila), I have to expect disaster like getting fired any time I drink it. It's not what I do, it's what I say....like the TRUTH. Usually a BAD idea.
                        Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X