Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Whisky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have tasted some very good (but not legal) shine. It is not all bad stuff.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I have some Gem Clear that's 190 proof (which I can no longer get since my nanny state government banned it ).
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I'd like to try moonshine sometime, but flavored, 30 proof? No thanks.
        I've had "appleshine" before. It was meh.
        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• I'm just polishing off a bottle of Wiser's Small Batch this evening. Good stuff, very much a "Bang-for-Buck" Whiskey (Cost me about $30 for a fifth). Very much for those who like their whiskey to have a spice and oak flavor with a bit of sweetness throughout.
          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            While visiting a good friend (who introduced me to Scotch in the first place), he had me try an Old Fashioned for the first time. I was sold instantly. Really good cocktail.
            I agree. You need the right kind of whisk(e)y, though. I tried it first with Wiser's Small Batch, and the combination didn't seem to go so well. Tried it tonight with some Maker's 46 Bourbon, and it's much, much, MUCH better. Makes sense, since most recipes I've seen call for Bourbon or Rye. I might try it with a Rye sometime soon (I've heard good things about Canadian Club Chairman's Select).

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              Ok, just picked up a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black. It's very smooooth, not as smoky as I expected, but it's definitely there. I like it! My wife took a taste and spit it out... said it tasted like turpentine...I told her I had never tried turpentine so I couldn't say...
              Just tried some of this tonight. It is smooth, but smoke was the very first thing I noticed when I opened the bottle.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Just tried some of this tonight. It is smooth, but smoke was the very first thing I noticed when I opened the bottle.
                You are supposed to drink it, not set it on fire.

Comment

• I was hoping to like the JW Double Black, but I thought it was meh. I think maybe one builds up some resistance to smokiness. Some that used to seem smokey to me are no longer as smokey as I remember them.
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• I've had a couple new acquisitions since my last post here...

-Glenfiddich 15-year Single Malt Solera: Good stuff. I've had this bottle for a while, but this was for a special occasion (namely, when a buddy of mine came down for his birthday visit). Fruit and honey galore.
                    -Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve: If you like toffee and spice, this is a good sipping whiskey. I've heard adding an ice cube really changes the flavor, but I'm one of those "Neat or Never" kind of guys.
                    -Knob Creek Bourbon: It's a major tossup between Buffalo Trace and This one for my "Bourbon of Choice." BT is a couple bucks cheaper, but KC seems a little bolder and more well-rounded. It's a tough call...

Comment

• Knob Creek is a little too "burny" for me to sip. I do enjoy it as a shooter, though. If you're a fan of Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek, I highly recommend Four Roses Small Batch.

I picked up Monkey Shoulder yesterday. I haven't had Scotch in over a year and I found it to be quite delicious.
                      "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                      -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                        Knob Creek is a little too "burny" for me to sip. I do enjoy it as a shooter, though. If you're a fan of Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek, I highly recommend Four Roses Small Batch.
                        I actually like my sippin' spirits to have a 'burn' to them. I call it God's way of telling me, "Hey, slow down and enjoy this you idiot."

Sadly, it doesn't look like Four Roses is one of the bourbons I can get here in Saskatchewan.

I picked up Monkey Shoulder yesterday. I haven't had Scotch in over a year and I found it to be quite delicious.
                        Cool. I've got a bottle of anCnoc 12-year Single Malt that's next in line for my Scotch (once I finish my other two bottles... it'll take me a while to get to it, needless to say ).

Comment

• My son bought me a bottle of Hunter Rye. Says it's imported from Canada. I like it! It's very smooth for an inexpensive Rye Whiskey, with a slightly sweet finish. I must admit, I've never tried a Rye Whiskey before. I remember when I was younger, my Dad said he didn't like Rye so I guess I just went with his opinion.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                            My son bought me a bottle of Hunter Rye. Says it's imported from Canada. I like it! It's very smooth for an inexpensive Rye Whiskey, with a slightly sweet finish. I must admit, I've never tried a Rye Whiskey before. I remember when I was younger, my Dad said he didn't like Rye so I guess I just went with his opinion.
                            Nice... I've got a bottle of Canadian Club Chairman Select, which is 100% Rye (and exclusive to Canada). Bold and spicy, but doesn't scorch your mouth as it goes down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                              I've had a couple new acquisitions since my last post here...

-Glenfiddich 15-year Single Malt Solera: Good stuff. I've had this bottle for a while, but this was for a special occasion (namely, when a buddy of mine came down for his birthday visit). Fruit and honey galore.
                              -Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve: If you like toffee and spice, this is a good sipping whiskey. I've heard adding an ice cube really changes the flavor, but I'm one of those "Neat or Never" kind of guys.
                              -Knob Creek Bourbon: It's a major tossup between Buffalo Trace and This one for my "Bourbon of Choice." BT is a couple bucks cheaper, but KC seems a little bolder and more well-rounded. It's a tough call...
                              Just tried Buffalo Trace, and I thought it was great (especially for the price point). I still like Blanton's better (also made at BT) but at close to half the price, Buffalo Trace is not a bad choice at all. For a sipping whisky, I definitely prefer Buffalo Trace to Knob Creek. It's much smoother.

Since I've been on a Buffalo Trace Distillery kick, I also picked up some Eagle Rare and Old Weller's. Haven't tried the Eagle Rare (maybe tonight), but I was pretty disappointed with the Old Weller's. I realized up front it was 107 proof, but it was still much rougher than I expected, specially for a wheated bourbon. Pretty short finish, too. I'll try it again (since I hate to waste a whole bottle), but definitely not my favorite. May have to add Old Weller's Antique to the (short) list of BT Distillery stuff I don't like, alongside Stagg Jr (which, at 134 proof, it's just a bit much).

I've read some glowing reviews of the W.L. Weller 12-year, so I was hoping for better. Still haven't got my hands on the 12-year yet.
                              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• yeah, I thought Knob Creek had too MUCH bite for a sipping whiskey.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X