Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Being a Christ-like Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is interested, if you're a Christian and you're a man and you're dating, engaged, married, or hope to marry someday, I have a private group for Christian men so we can learn to love our wives as Christ loved the church. (Or our future wives) Feel free to message me if you want in.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post
      God does not differentiate between male and female when He calls us to live a Christ-like life.
      Actually He does. Though like most Christians you seem to think modern egalitarian gender roles, of which you will find no trace of in the Bible, are the prescription.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Actually He does. Though like most Christians you seem to think modern egalitarian gender roles, of which you will find no trace of in the Bible, are the prescription.
        Does Christ command "Men, love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself; women, stay in the kitchen."?

NO.
        He commands ALL to love God and love their neighbor, for this sums up the Law (including the laws that made women chattel for breeding) and the prophets.

Egalitarian gender roles are not mentioned in the Bible because the MEN who wrote everything included therein had no concept of gender equality.
        It wasn't until human society had sufficiently developed for women to no longer be seen as PROPERTY that they began to fight for equal treatment under the law and under their own roofs.

But you already know this.
        So in bringing it up, you are either advocating a return to barbarism, which given your choice of signature would not truly surprise me, or are trolling.

Galatians 3:28
        "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
        If we truly believe this statement to be true, we should not look for someone to tell us how to be better "Christian men," but how to better follow Christ.
        “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
        -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

Does Christ command "Men, love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself; women, stay in the kitchen."?

NO.
          He commands ALL to love God and love their neighbor, for this sums up the Law (including the laws that made women chattel for breeding) and the prophets.

Egalitarian gender roles are not mentioned in the Bible because the MEN who wrote everything included therein had no concept of gender equality.
          It wasn't until human society had sufficiently developed for women to no longer be seen as PROPERTY that they began to fight for equal treatment under the law and under their own roofs.

So in bringing it up, you are either advocating a return to barbarism, which given your choice of signature would not truly surprise me, or are trolling.

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
          If we truly believe this statement to be true, we should not look for someone to tell us how to be better "Christian men," but how to better follow Christ.
          At the same time, men are instructed to teach men, and women to teach women.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            At the same time, men are instructed to teach men, and women to teach women.
            By Christ?

Or by Paul?
            Paul was a man of his time just like every other man whose writings are included in the current version of the Biblical canon, and each of his letters was written to a particular group of people going through a particular set of struggles.

He instructed Timothy to keep women silent because the women in Timothy's church were disrupting the fellowship and worship by being loud.

Yet he instructed the Galatians that there is no male or female, for all are one in Christ.
            If all are one, then how do you justify an arbitrary assignation of roles based on gender?

Do we really believe the church platitude that "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"?
            If so, who are we to say that He cannot or will not call a woman to lead a congregation?

...given that He already has, not only in our lifetimes but in 19th century congregations in Wisconsin and Maine as well.

“The matter of women preachers became a problem only when women wanted to be pastors back home, in the sometimes affluent neighborhoods that typically had churches pastured by men.”
            -Tony Campolo

"A casual reading of [1 Timothy 2:11-12] does indeed seem to forbid from even talking at church meetings, let alone be ordained as ministers. Yet the same church leaders who use this text to keep evangelical feminists out of formal church leadership are seldom inclined to fire all the female Sunday School teachers, youth directors, and Christian education directors from their staffs. They know only too well that church programs would fall apart without women."
            -Brian McLaren, Adventures in Missing the Point
            “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."

Comment

By Christ?

Or by Paul?
              Paul was a man of his time just like every other man whose writings are included in the current version of the Biblical canon, and each of his letters was written to a particular group of people going through a particular set of struggles.

He instructed Timothy to keep women silent because the women in Timothy's church were disrupting the fellowship and worship by being loud.

Yet he instructed the Galatians that there is no male or female, for all are one in Christ.
              If all are one, then how do you justify an arbitrary assignation of roles based on gender?

Do we really believe the church platitude that "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"?
              If so, who are we to say that He cannot or will not call a woman to lead a congregation?

...given that He already has, not only in our lifetimes but in 19th century congregations in Wisconsin and Maine as well.

“The matter of women preachers became a problem only when women wanted to be pastors back home, in the sometimes affluent neighborhoods that typically had churches pastured by men.”
              -Tony Campolo

"A casual reading of [1 Timothy 2:11-12] does indeed seem to forbid from even talking at church meetings, let alone be ordained as ministers. Yet the same church leaders who use this text to keep evangelical feminists out of formal church leadership are seldom inclined to fire all the female Sunday School teachers, youth directors, and Christian education directors from their staffs. They know only too well that church programs would fall apart without women."
              -Brian McLaren, Adventures in Missing the Point
              I think you're being overly literal here --- men and women are different - no doubt about it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Stay in the kitchen" is a parody, not a "traditional gender role".

NO.
                What does this have to do with gender roles?

Neither did God.

You mean after Christianity started being replaced by the philosophies of the infidels?

Barbarism? Every successful civilization has had different gender roles. Today's more egalitarian western countries are just a shadow of their former selves. You actually have to look at savages who haven't progressed one bit in the last 50 thousand years to find societies that deviate considerably from some notion of distinct gender roles.

More like if you truly understood the point of the statement you wouldn't try to apply it universally, regardless of the situation.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I think you're being overly literal here --- men and women are different - no doubt about it.
                  You said "men are instructed to teach men, and women are instructed to teach women".

That men and women are different (which is a generalization and thus doesn't do much for the conversation besides take up space) doesn't change Paul's statement in Galatians.

Neither does it change Peter's statement in Acts that "God is no respecter of persons".

Also, you didn't answer my question.

Originally posted by Buzzword

Comment

Because the statement doesn't mean what you think it does, unless you seriously want to claim there are literally no slaves or Jews. And it's not "arbitrary", men and women are different by design, going back to Genesis.

Comment

That men and women are different (which is a generalization and thus doesn't do much for the conversation besides take up space) doesn't change Paul's statement in Galatians.
                      But Paul's statement in Galatians also mentions "neither slave nor free," and slaves and masters are given different commands in Ephesians 6, for example.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Men and women are also given different commands with regards to marriage. Buzzword thinks that the only way you can love women is if you assign the same (and by the same I mean "male", I've yet to meet an egalitarian who respects the traditional work done by women) roles to everybody. Nothing says "I love women" like trying to strip them of every ounce of femininity that isn't already carved in their flesh. And with modern surgery it's probably not long until even the latter may become halal.

Comment

Christian complementarians do not agree with modern sexual roles but they (generally) don't advocate for a return to "barbarism".

So Paul who wrote Galatians had no conception of its clear egalitarian message but you do?

Using a church platitude to argue for a certain interpretation of Scripture? Now you're really grasping at straws.

Comment

Also, you didn't answer my question.
                            Correct.

Comment

Wow, this went off the rails real quick.

NuTWeb very much has the spirit of the old.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X