Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Was it easier to be celibate during biblical times due to diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it easier to be celibate during biblical times due to diet?

Inspired by this thread.
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...drive-and-Diet

As far as I know, libido can be affected by diet (lack of testosterone in men).
    My question above is because the people of the biblical world had a different diet than most of us (they were mostly vegetarian and eating meat a couple times for the year) and perhaps, less of a sex drive. Thoughts?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
    Inspired by this thread.
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...drive-and-Diet

As far as I know, libido can be affected by diet (lack of testosterone in men).
    My question above is because the people of the biblical world had a different diet than most of us (they were mostly vegetarian and eating meat a couple times for the year) and perhaps, less of a sex drive. Thoughts?
    Interesting question. We do know that sexual immorality is as old as the hills. In New Testament times it wasn't hard to go to a temple for priestess prostitution...and even believe you were pleasing a god by doing so.

One thing for sure though...today it has become easier than ever to be sexually immoral. It's just a mouse click away.

I think eating healthy and learning self control there, can go a long way in self control in other areas as well

Comment

Either way, we know it still wasn't easy back then, as Paul makes clear in 1 Corinthians.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Either way, we know it still wasn't easy back then, as Paul makes clear in 1 Corinthians.
        Where exactly?
        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
          Where exactly?
          1 Cor 7:9, where he says some people just can't handle celibacy.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Again, for most of us or many of us, it's a really big battle as to what we put or don't put into our mouths. Look at all the eating disorders! So if we are able to get that under control, to where we are being very healthy...then the whole sex drive thing, can seem like a relatively easy thing to control and add to our new found self control.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              1 Cor 7:9, where he says some people just can't handle celibacy.
              Ok thanks.
              Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                Again, for most of us or many of us, it's a really big battle as to what we put or don't put into our mouths. Look at all the eating disorders! So if we are able to get that under control, to where we are being very healthy...then the whole sex drive thing, can seem like a relatively easy thing to control and add to our new found self control.
                I'm honestly sorry for those people. I know I'm fat but I do think it isn't that hard to lose weight.
                Perhaps it's because I live in a different culture compared to you all.
                Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X