Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody ever tried homebrewing?

My father-in-law used to do it all the time, and I happened to try his last batch before retirement, a beautiful hefeweizen that left me feeling full, like all great homebrews.
    “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
    -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post

My father-in-law used to do it all the time, and I happened to try his last batch before retirement, a beautiful hefeweizen that left me feeling full, like all great homebrews.
      I used to home brew with a good friend of mine. We made quite a few really good beers! We quit because of the time required and the added pounds caused by too much rich beer...
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

My grandpa used to drink these when I was a kid.
        Didn't know they were still around until I got to try one over Christmas Break.

Good stuff.
        Next you'll be telling us that PBR is your favorite.

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Have you tried the Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale? I'm a bit biased, but I haven't had a bad Shiner product.

I prefer Stouts and Ales myself. But I haven't been drinking much beer lately...
        Shiner is something that I miss about Texas. I haven't yet found a local replacement. There was a brewery in Bonners Ferry, Idaho that had several great beers, but that's not exactly nearby.

Portland, Oregon is the capital of homebrewing and micro-breweries. I know of people that come to Portland for a long weekend just to pub crawl and sample the brews.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

'nother excuse to drink beer: it can help to prevent the onset of dementia!

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I tried Sam Adams Cold Snap the other day. I thought it was pretty good. Not very bitter and my wife liked it cold.

ETA: I really love Sam Adams Rebel IPA. One of the best IPA's I've had thus far.
            "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
            -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I like Sam Adam's Lager (enjoying one now). Harpoon IPA is another favorite. Not sure what else I like, other than anything that is free... Friend gave me a case of Red Hook IPA and I wasn't impressed.

I've thought about homebrew but always figured I didn't have the time, and I don't need any more hobbies.

I usually drink wine though these days, I find it lasts longer. One beer leads to two leads to four leads to... floor.
              No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Interesting. I have that problem more with wine (once the bottle's open, may as well finish it). I had a couple bad experiences with too much wine, so I try not to drink it often.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I did that with gin, and promptly swore off the hard stuff.

Three beers and Ill be sweating, cramping all night. Bottle of wine, no prob. Not something Im in the habit of but that is how it has been lately. Well, not a bottle of wine but close enough.
                  No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

I'm the exact opposite...Wine gives me indigestion/sour stomach. Beer not so much.
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

So I've been having a beer each night for Bright Week (the week after Orthodox Easter).

Green Bullet (brewed by Green Flash) - triple IPA brewed with NZ hops
                      Dogfish Head Immort Ale (limited release brewed a couple years ago) - very smooth, not too bitter and not too sweet. Wish I'd picked up more than one.
                      Weyerbacher Quad
                      Founder's Double Trouble Imperial IPA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        So I've been having a beer each night for Bright Week (the week after Orthodox Easter).

Green Bullet (brewed by Green Flash) - triple IPA brewed with NZ hops
                        Dogfish Head Immort Ale (limited release brewed a couple years ago) - very smooth, not too bitter and not too sweet. Wish I'd picked up more than one.
                        Weyerbacher Quad
                        Founder's Double Trouble Imperial IPA
                        I've heard of Dogfish Head, but never had it. That beer is practically legend.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          I've heard of Dogfish Head, but never had it. That beer is practically legend.
                          I don't like all of their products (they do all sorts of experimental brewing), but I've sampled some products which I find to be exceptionally good.

sigpic

Comment

I'm drinking a Rogue Beard Beer. It's unusual.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              I'm drinking a Rogue Beard Beer. It's unusual.
                              Rogue makes some interesting brews, like Voodoo Donut and New Crustacean.

sigpic

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X