Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Beer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Most beers in that category (and most fruit beers) have a wheat base. Since I don't care much for wheat beer,
    Stop right there. I have Celiac Disease, so can't drink beer because it's from malted barley, which is as bad for me as wheat. 40 years ago when I did drink beer I was very particular. I loved Loewenbrau and Heinekins and found Coors almost as good. Nothing else tasted decent to me, particularly not the beers I drank while in the US Army in Germany, the Dunkel and the Helle (Dark and Bright). I guess the beers I liked were not German style but Dutch style.
    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Adam View Post
      Stop right there. I have Celiac Disease, so can't drink beer because it's from malted barley, which is as bad for me as wheat. 40 years ago when I did drink beer I was very particular. I loved Loewenbrau and Heinekins and found Coors almost as good. Nothing else tasted decent to me, particularly not the beers I drank while in the US Army in Germany, the Dunkel and the Helle (Dark and Bright). I guess the beers I liked were not German style but Dutch style.
      You know, there are now gluten-free beers available.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

      Comment


      • #48
        I actually haven't been drinking beer for a while, because the carbonation is so hard on my digestion. I like beer, but not enough to offset the inevitable misery. I don't drink soda anymore for the same reason.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          You know, there are now gluten-free beers available.
          Do they taste as good as Heineken's or Loewenbrau? Or even Coors?
          Actually, doesn't matter HOW they taste, they're full of hops, and hops is now an established health food. It's even good for my migraines.
          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Adam View Post
            Do they taste as good as Heineken's or Loewenbrau? Or even Coors?
            Actually, doesn't matter HOW they taste, they're full of hops, and hops is now an established health food. It's even good for my migraines.
            I haven't tried them, because I have no issues with gluten. I believe Omission brewery has an entire line of gluten-free beers.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I actually haven't been drinking beer for a while, because the carbonation is so hard on my digestion. I like beer, but not enough to offset the inevitable misery. I don't drink soda anymore for the same reason.
              Fortunately, whisky does not cause such a problem for the ol' gut.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

              Comment


              • #52
                Speight 5 Malt Old Dark Ale is rather good. (especially when I'm down in Dunedin at the Speights Ale House that is next to the brewery)

                http://www.speights.co.nz/Our-Range/...-Malt-Old-Dark
                "TASTING NOTES:
                5 malt old dark was introduced into the Speight's range in 1992 to meet consumer demands for the classic 'dark' beer. No prizes for guessing why it got its name. By carefully selecting, roasting and matching 5 separate malts we have crafted a dark beer that gives rich, creamy, chocolate fudge flavours swiftly followed by coffee overtones. Perfect for warming the cockles on a stormy night."
                "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
                -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

                "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  Speight 5 Malt Old Dark Ale is rather good. (especially when I'm down in Dunedin at the Speights Ale House that is next to the brewery)

                  http://www.speights.co.nz/Our-Range/...-Malt-Old-Dark
                  "TASTING NOTES:
                  5 malt old dark was introduced into the Speight's range in 1992 to meet consumer demands for the classic 'dark' beer. No prizes for guessing why it got its name. By carefully selecting, roasting and matching 5 separate malts we have crafted a dark beer that gives rich, creamy, chocolate fudge flavours swiftly followed by coffee overtones. Perfect for warming the cockles on a stormy night."
                  Looks like it's unavailable in my area. The only NZ beers available are Steinlager (which I've tried) and a couple varieties of Moa.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Looks like it's unavailable in my area. The only NZ beers available are Steinlager (which I've tried) and a couple varieties of Moa.
                    If I ever get to visiting the US, I'll have try see if I can bring you a couple.
                    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
                    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

                    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      As the old Irish toast so aptly puts it:
                      Here's to a long life and a good one, a quick death and an easy one, a long love and a true one, a cold beer and another one.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Buzzword View Post
                        With much prodding from friends, I tried an IPA.
                        Pain from start to handing it off after a couple of sips.
                        See if you can try the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin (IPA). It is like the gateway drug into IPA's! haha.

                        I, personally am not the biggest fan of IPA's, but the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and regular Sculpin are quite tasty. I highly recommend it.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I really like Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot (having one now). It's got quite a kick, though (11% ABV).
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I've been successfully staying away from beer for the past few months, because of how hard the carbonation is on me. I'm a little bummed, because I do like it, but oh well. My guts thank me for it. (Beer is by no means the cause of my gut problem, but the carbonation is nothing but bad for it.)
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Looks like it's unavailable in my area. The only NZ beers available are Steinlager (which I've tried) and a couple varieties of Moa.
                              Just had a Moa Imperial Stout.

                              Zym, you might try tracking some down. It had pretty much no carbonation.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                So we're on a family road trip for the weekend. Having lunch at the McDonalds in Matamata (aka Hobbiton) and they have this big picture of The Green Dragon on the wall)
                                14631020026521596279724.jpg
                                "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
                                -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

                                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                                1 Corinthians 16:13

                                "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                                -Ben Witherington III

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X