Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eider View Post

Absolutely!

Arthur Conan Doyle's description of a Spanish company of slinger's destroying an English company of archers in 'The White Company' offers a very good description of what slingers in the right situation could do.

I always wanted to bring down a wildfowl with a pebble, came so close but never did it. But where widgeon were laying in the middle of a wide creek and beyond range I often lifted them off by dropping stones among them, and they never knew which way to fly, thus giving me so many successful shots.

,,,,those were the days.....
    The biggest problem with slingers were range. Your typical archer could stand outside it and pepper a slinger with arrows before the slinger could get close enough.

Still, as part of an ancient army they could be very effective.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The biggest problem with slingers were range. Your typical archer could stand outside it and pepper a slinger with arrows before the slinger could get close enough.

Still, as part of an ancient army they could be very effective.
      Some Roman soldiers used slings, their lead shot was same shape as an American football and must have had an enormous range. But a company of Welsh/English archers would have been a horrid foe back then.
      I believe that the most powerful bows were the Turkish recurves, made from bone (compression) and sinew (tension). I'm sure that I have read of ranges of several hundreds of yards.

A long time ago I used to make slinging arrows from willow shafts which flew true without any feather flights. I could sling them about 130 yards but in Yorkshire where men competed with these the ranges were massive. Very good arrows were worth lots of cash, because they made a big difference towards winning competitions.

In the 60's I shot smallbore and fullbore target, was quite good with small bore but suffered from freezing with fullbore, a lee enfield 303 recoil was horrid without suitable padding, and anyway, I was a left handed shot and so tilted the rifle 'off-target' every time I worked the bolt. I joined a pistol club in the early 80's (when pistols were legal here) but I didn't get much satisfaction out of it, was shooting with .32 calibers. I was introduced to black-powder revolvers while shooting fullbore at Bisley in the 60's, and I could have got interested in that....we can still own/shoot black powder revolvers at ranges.

A friend introduced me to Olympic running boar competition in the early 70's. Back then they shot this competition with automatic rifles and telescope sights...the targets moved at two speeds. I notice that Running Boar Olympic competition is now shot with air rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Some Roman soldiers used slings, their lead shot was same shape as an American football and must have had an enormous range. But a company of Welsh/English archers would have been a horrid foe back then.
        I believe that the most powerful bows were the Turkish recurves, made from bone (compression) and sinew (tension). I'm sure that I have read of ranges of several hundreds of yards.

A long time ago I used to make slinging arrows from willow shafts which flew true without any feather flights. I could sling them about 130 yards but in Yorkshire where men competed with these the ranges were massive. Very good arrows were worth lots of cash, because they made a big difference towards winning competitions.

In the 60's I shot smallbore and fullbore target, was quite good with small bore but suffered from freezing with fullbore, a lee enfield 303 recoil was horrid without suitable padding, and anyway, I was a left handed shot and so tilted the rifle 'off-target' every time I worked the bolt. I joined a pistol club in the early 80's (when pistols were legal here) but I didn't get much satisfaction out of it, was shooting with .32 calibers. I was introduced to black-powder revolvers while shooting fullbore at Bisley in the 60's, and I could have got interested in that....we can still own/shoot black powder revolvers at ranges.

A friend introduced me to Olympic running boar competition in the early 70's. Back then they shot this competition with automatic rifles and telescope sights...the targets moved at two speeds. I notice that Running Boar Olympic competition is now shot with air rifles.
        FWIU the two bows had comparable ranges. The advantage of the long bow was that they were easier and cheaper to make and not as badly effected by humidity. Still, they woulda been a nightmare to fire from horseback.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FWIU the two bows had comparable ranges. The advantage of the long bow was that they were easier and cheaper to make and not as badly effected by humidity. Still, they woulda been a nightmare to fire from horseback.
          Sure. The horsemen of the East and Middle East were the horseback bowmen, those recurves were amazing.
          I don't know about these recent times but the making of glue for these bows was lost knowledge.
          A friend purchased a recurve while in the mid-east about 30 years ago, it was in very poor condition and unstrung it looked like a wooden-circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I still like my .357 magnum Ruger Security Six --- with only six shots, you have to be more accurate than having the ability to spray 14 rounds quickly.
            Of course you like a wheel gun. :)
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Cameras attached to guns?

I remember reading about a "hitman" who had attached a small camera to his handgun that took a picture everytime he fired it so that he could provide confirmation that the contract was fulfilled.
              They make these for law enforcement use.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

My next purchase will be a Sig Sauer P365. Had one at work that I had to give up when I quit. Probably my favorite of all pistols I've shot. Crisp trigger break, short travel, high magazine capacity considering the small frame size. Super comfortable to hold. You could drive nails with one.

That said, I've got others. A Sig P220R, Springfield .40 XDM, Springfield .40 XD subcompact, Ruger LCP.....a few others ;)

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                  Of course you like a wheel gun. :)
                  For numerous reasons, some of which are....
                  • you never have to wonder if there's a round in the chamber
                  • you don't have to slide the action to PUT a round in the chamber, risking the possibility of ejecting an unspent round
                  • you don't have to wonder if the safety is on or not
                  • you don't have to worry about the next round jamming as it slides from the magazine into the chamber
                  • I'm old school.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

For numerous reasons, some of which are....
                    • you never have to wonder if there's a round in the chamber
                    • you don't have to slide the action to PUT a round in the chamber, risking the possibility of ejecting an unspent round
                    • you don't have to wonder if the safety is on or not
                    • you don't have to worry about the next round jamming as it slides from the magazine into the chamber
                    • I'm old school.
                    Revolvers are the best choice for the "sock drawer." You can leave it loaded and not worry about the spring in the magazine. Some lint can even collect in it over the course of a decade which is no problem with a revolver.

Comment

Revolvers are the best choice for the "sock drawer." You can leave it loaded and not worry about the spring in the magazine. Some lint can even collect in it over the course of a decade which is no problem with a revolver.
                      Yup - "the simple machine".
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Anyone have any insight into reflex sights on pistols? They've become super popular amongst the serious shooter crowd, but I've never tried one. I hear there can be issue with "finding" the dot easily during a quick draw, but that also seems to be resolved with practice and proper draw technique.

Looks like I'll have the option for one at work, but not sure I want one. Thought I'd see what you all think.

Comment

Anyone have any insight into reflex sights on pistols? They've become super popular amongst the serious shooter crowd, but I've never tried one. I hear there can be issue with "finding" the dot easily during a quick draw, but that also seems to be resolved with practice and proper draw technique.

Looks like I'll have the option for one at work, but not sure I want one. Thought I'd see what you all think.
                          I haven't tried one. But here is an article comparing them to red dot sights
                          https://www.tutorialspoint.com/diffe...-red-dot-sight

And they seem pretty cheap. Saw one on Amazon for $25.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that for work though. For instance, the one they'll get at work is the Trijicon SRO -- which is about $775 MSRP.

As an aside, I only found out recently that Trijicon's founder was apparently a Christian, because they still engrave Bible verse addresses on their consumer products. For instance, the one on the SRO is 1 Cor. 4:5.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that for work though. For instance, the one they'll get at work is the Trijicon SRO -- which is about $775 MSRP.

As an aside, I only found out recently that Trijicon's founder was apparently a Christian, because they still engrave Bible verse addresses on their consumer products. For instance, the one on the SRO is 1 Cor. 4:5.
                              Interesting!

Comment

Interesting!
                                Yeah, I was pretty surprised. They're a big name in the industry. They are/where used by militaries and law enforcement agencies around the world. They make some of the best products on the market. Was really interested to see a Bible reference stamped on product.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X