Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Matthew 5:28 - Don't lust after women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    I remember Robert Gagnon saying once that if lust constituted real adultery every man would be adulterous even on the day after his wedding.

All men have to learn to follow Job's advice to make a covenant with our eyes to not look lustfully at another woman.
    Yes! Seeing a woman and perceiving a sexual attraction is not sin unless you pursue it in your thoughts. Sinfulness results in what you do, even in your own mind. It is impossible not to see women in a sexual context. It is quite possible to reject dwelling on said vision.

Leave a comment:

• Apologiaphoenix
    replied
    I remember Robert Gagnon saying once that if lust constituted real adultery every man would be adulterous even on the day after his wedding.

All men have to learn to follow Job's advice to make a covenant with our eyes to not look lustfully at another woman.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Isn't Jesus' exhortation more of an indictment against marital infidelity? Whereas a married man may commit adultery in his heart by lustfully gazing upon a woman besides his wife (a willful act), it is impossible for an unmarried man to commit adultery (strictly speaking).
    No it's not, having sex with a married woman is also adultery even if you're not married.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    2. Personally speaking it is less difficult for me in this area now that I am married.
    I can say the same. I suppose it is us that Paul was talking about when he said that it is better to marry than burn in passion.

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    Unless we seek to spiritualize the text to mean something like "spiritual adultery".
    I don't think it's necessary to do such a thing in order to keep the text relevant for the unmarried man. Given that the Sermon on the Mount is more about principles than specific, we can glean the specific principle that it is not enough to avoid actual fornication, but that we must guard our hearts as well.

Leave a comment:

• The Remonstrant
    replied
    Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5:28, KJV)

A few things:
    1. I don't know how any guy (ok, any REAL guy) can say they have never sinned even after reading and knowing about this passage.
    2. Personally speaking it is less difficult for me in this area now that I am married.
    3. For those that are single how are you doing in this area...because when I was single I was stumbling a lot.
    Isn't Jesus' exhortation more of an indictment against marital infidelity? Whereas a married man may commit adultery in his heart by lustfully gazing upon a woman besides his wife (a willful act), it is impossible for an unmarried man to commit adultery (strictly speaking).1 Jesus is not addressing single (or unmarried) persons specifically.

Note

1 Unless we seek to spiritualize the text to mean something like "spiritual adultery".
    Last edited by The Remonstrant; 04-17-2014, 01:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    started a topic Matthew 5:28 - Don't lust after women

Matthew 5:28 - Don't lust after women

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5:28, KJV)

A few things:
    1. I don't know how any guy (ok, any REAL guy) can say they have never sinned even after reading and knowing about this passage.
    3. For those that are single how are you doing in this area...because when I was single I was stumbling a lot.
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X