Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Where do we draw the line on crossing the gender line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    If you're watching The View, you're over the line.
    This applies to women also.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

This applies to women also.
      Define women.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just be aware that if you carry a backpack slung over one shoulder, it's really a purse.

And don't eat quiche.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Define women.
          What?I Do I look like a biologist?!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Okay, as to the OP...

Sounds like you have sensitive skin.

I have a friend that can't use toilet paper that's been dyed or perfumed. His wife carries spare toilet paper in a zip lock bag in one of those myriad of of side pockets, flaps and whatnots found on some purses.

You do what ya gotta do.
            Yup. It's also why I have to limit myself to Stetson and Old Spice. There are fragrances out there that I like far more, but not enough to endure a rash on my neck and torso after every date and special event. It's not as sensitive as it use to be. Degree spray use to be one of the worst ones for me. Now I can use it with no issue.

My sensitivity does seem to change, however. When I started using Dove Men's Care stick deodorant I had no issue with it, but after about a year it started making me break out. The spray never caused problems, and out of desperation, thinking I could use it right up to the brink (I generally have three days before issues start), I bought a can of Degree to use until we got the Dove spray back in stock. That's when I realized I can finally use it, which was great news because scent-wise it's my favorite.

As for callouses, I was proud of how thick and tough the bottom of my feat were back when I went shoeless as soon as the weather permitted. But it would get prominent on the outside of my big toe and every so often, with a good pair of scissors or even a razor blade, I would lop off the end and you could even see layers, where the callouses had grown atop one another. Sorta like tree rings.

But as I said I was proud of mine. There was a quarter mile dirt and gravel trail I would go to when it got warm enough and walk it barefoot to help recondition my feet. Got to the point I walked from my car across an asphalt parking lot to a store on a 100 degree day[1] where I peeled a piece of asphalt that stuck to my foot.

Yeah, there are a load of tricks to doing that I discovered over the years on not as hot days. And yeah my feet were stinging, particularly where the asphalt stuck, but nothing unbearable and the concrete in the shade was a cool relief (inside the store was better).

Still, I wasn't alone, and made a point of calmly peeling the asphalt off. Never let 'em see you sweat.
            My callouses use to be my biggest asset. I would have to spend a week before school started relearning how to walk with my heels and all ten toes on the ground because only the balls of my feet and my big toes got calloused. The rest remained soft, so I developed a distinctive walk, but with that walk I could handle terrain that would send most people running for the shoe store. I didn't have to worry about hot asphalt. It could be 100 degrees on a patch that never saw shade and I'd only feel it if one of my soft toes or heel touched it.

I have an old hillbilly joke book. One of the jokes in there was "a lifetime of going shoeless had left Ma with thick callouses on her feet. One night Pa said to her 'you ought to move your foot a mite, Ma. You're standing on a live coal.' Ma looked back at him and said 'which foot, Pa?'" When I showed the joke to my parents, wanting to know how it made it into a joke book, they thought the joke was hilarious, but they had to explain to me why it was funny. To me anyone who told it might as well have tried to get a laugh with "I stepped out on my front porch this morning and saw three blades of grass." I was the very epitome of that joke.

They saved me from a lot of beatings from my older brother. We'd be out playing in the summer, both barefoot, I'd inevitably make him mad, and I knew I'd be hitting the ground if he caught me. I also knew that he could outrun me on grass, so I took off down the gravel road, which on the balls of my feet was no different than packed dirt, and he'd try to chase me. Just as soon as he got to the gravel driveway he'd slow down to a snail's pace, screaming at me to come back. Then just down the road I'd crawl under the fence back onto the wooded part of the property. My brother also couldn't handle the sticks and assorted rocks under the leaf litter, plus he was terrified of the woods so I knew he wouldn't go get his shoes to come after me. I just wandered around the woods, taking in the sights and watching the squirrels, until I was sure he gave up and went inside, where our parents would keep him from doing anything to me.

Unfortunately those callouses became my biggest weakness. They continue to form even when I'm wearing shoes, probably because of the shoes now, and they're not as even as they use to be. On each foot there is one specific spot where it gets thicker than the rest. A large even callous I can handle, but those thicker spots feel like I'm walking around with nails stuck in my feet. Unfortunately I'm not manly enough to take scissors a razor blade to them. Just the thought of it is making me feel light-headed. The closest I could get to that was that cheese grater thing I had until the handle broke. I believe it's called a foot rasp, but I was so desperate when I bought it that I didn't even take the time to look at the name. Just threw it on the counter, paid, and tore it open on the way to my car during my lunch break.

When it broke, cheap dollar store model so I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, I found this drum sander looking thing at Walmart. Best $20 I ever spent, but it's embarrassing. The coarse drum wore out, the fine drum isn't even worth using, you can't find replacement drums in brick and mortar stores, and I don't trust mail order (I once ordered compression socks from Walgreen's site and ended up with a foam mastectomy prosthesis. Never doing mail order again), so I'm going to have to replace the whole unit. We sell them where I work, my schedule is so packed that I won't have a chance to get to the town where I buy the things I'm embarrassed to be seen buying by people who know me (that lady trimmer I use to get rid of the beard, that first drum sander thingy, the fake nails I melt down with acetone so I can "weld" plastic, the nail polish remover that provides the acetone because it's cheaper than buying pure acetone at Menard's, etc.) until Sunday, and I can't make it through the rest of the week without sanding off my callouses so I'm going to have to buy one at work tomorrow night.

The product site I linked to made it very clear that it's designed from the ground up exclusively for women. I feel like I might as well go to the apparel section, grab a sports bra, lay it on the counter in front of my store manager, look her in the eye, and say "yes, it's for me."

In any case, I'm rogue. Glad to meet you. I've been here since '06 and staff not too long afterwards but don't think we ran across one another.
            We've met before. I don't remember when the first site came about, but I was early enough to get the charter member tag. I practically lived on the site until the great crash (which was great for me, as it gave me a clean slate. I look back on my FB posts from 2015 and ask myself how this idiot got into my account. I can only imagine the amount of cringing I'd do if my early TWeb posts were still floating around) and I do remember you. In fact, you, the other three green names, the red names, Teallaura (only seen her in "who's online," haven't interacted with her yet this time around) and Darth Executor are the only names I recognized on my return. That was back in the wild days when we could change names so you probably knew me as Javert or Tobias Reiper. We definitely got into some discussions, though I can't recall specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatty Arbuckle View Post

Yup. It's also why I have to limit myself to Stetson and Old Spice. There are fragrances out there that I like far more, but not enough to endure a rash on my neck and torso after every date and special event. It's not as sensitive as it use to be. Degree spray use to be one of the worst ones for me. Now I can use it with no issue.

My sensitivity does seem to change, however. When I started using Dove Men's Care stick deodorant I had no issue with it, but after about a year it started making me break out. The spray never caused problems, and out of desperation, thinking I could use it right up to the brink (I generally have three days before issues start), I bought a can of Degree to use until we got the Dove spray back in stock. That's when I realized I can finally use it, which was great news because scent-wise it's my favorite.

My callouses use to be my biggest asset. I would have to spend a week before school started relearning how to walk with my heels and all ten toes on the ground because only the balls of my feet and my big toes got calloused. The rest remained soft, so I developed a distinctive walk, but with that walk I could handle terrain that would send most people running for the shoe store. I didn't have to worry about hot asphalt. It could be 100 degrees on a patch that never saw shade and I'd only feel it if one of my soft toes or heel touched it.

I have an old hillbilly joke book. One of the jokes in there was "a lifetime of going shoeless had left Ma with thick callouses on her feet. One night Pa said to her 'you ought to move your foot a mite, Ma. You're standing on a live coal.' Ma looked back at him and said 'which foot, Pa?'" When I showed the joke to my parents, wanting to know how it made it into a joke book, they thought the joke was hilarious, but they had to explain to me why it was funny. To me anyone who told it might as well have tried to get a laugh with "I stepped out on my front porch this morning and saw three blades of grass." I was the very epitome of that joke.

They saved me from a lot of beatings from my older brother. We'd be out playing in the summer, both barefoot, I'd inevitably make him mad, and I knew I'd be hitting the ground if he caught me. I also knew that he could outrun me on grass, so I took off down the gravel road, which on the balls of my feet was no different than packed dirt, and he'd try to chase me. Just as soon as he got to the gravel driveway he'd slow down to a snail's pace, screaming at me to come back. Then just down the road I'd crawl under the fence back onto the wooded part of the property. My brother also couldn't handle the sticks and assorted rocks under the leaf litter, plus he was terrified of the woods so I knew he wouldn't go get his shoes to come after me. I just wandered around the woods, taking in the sights and watching the squirrels, until I was sure he gave up and went inside, where our parents would keep him from doing anything to me.

Unfortunately those callouses became my biggest weakness. They continue to form even when I'm wearing shoes, probably because of the shoes now, and they're not as even as they use to be. On each foot there is one specific spot where it gets thicker than the rest. A large even callous I can handle, but those thicker spots feel like I'm walking around with nails stuck in my feet. Unfortunately I'm not manly enough to take scissors a razor blade to them. Just the thought of it is making me feel light-headed. The closest I could get to that was that cheese grater thing I had until the handle broke. I believe it's called a foot rasp, but I was so desperate when I bought it that I didn't even take the time to look at the name. Just threw it on the counter, paid, and tore it open on the way to my car during my lunch break.

When it broke, cheap dollar store model so I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, I found this drum sander looking thing at Walmart. Best $20 I ever spent, but it's embarrassing. The coarse drum wore out, the fine drum isn't even worth using, you can't find replacement drums in brick and mortar stores, and I don't trust mail order (I once ordered compression socks from Walgreen's site and ended up with a foam mastectomy prosthesis. Never doing mail order again), so I'm going to have to replace the whole unit. We sell them where I work, my schedule is so packed that I won't have a chance to get to the town where I buy the things I'm embarrassed to be seen buying by people who know me (that lady trimmer I use to get rid of the beard, that first drum sander thingy, the fake nails I melt down with acetone so I can "weld" plastic, the nail polish remover that provides the acetone because it's cheaper than buying pure acetone at Menard's, etc.) until Sunday, and I can't make it through the rest of the week without sanding off my callouses so I'm going to have to buy one at work tomorrow night.

The product site I linked to made it very clear that it's designed from the ground up exclusively for women. I feel like I might as well go to the apparel section, grab a sports bra, lay it on the counter in front of my store manager, look her in the eye, and say "yes, it's for me."

We've met before. I don't remember when the first site came about, but I was early enough to get the charter member tag. I practically lived on the site until the great crash (which was great for me, as it gave me a clean slate. I look back on my FB posts from 2015 and ask myself how this idiot got into my account. I can only imagine the amount of cringing I'd do if my early TWeb posts were still floating around) and I do remember you. In fact, you, the other three green names, the red names, Teallaura (only seen her in "who's online," haven't interacted with her yet this time around) and Darth Executor are the only names I recognized on my return. That was back in the wild days when we could change names so you probably knew me as Javert or Tobias Reiper. We definitely got into some discussions, though I can't recall specifics.
              My callouses never gave me any trouble except when I would have to cut a chunk of it off from the side of my big toe.

I also have a distinctive walk and coming off my big toe is what built up the callouses. Until recently (age catching up) I made absolutely no sound when I walk. Being five foot sixteen moving in total silence is no easy thing. As a kid when my friends and I would walk down the street you could hear them clopping along while I moved quietly. Irritates me to no end that I can hear myself walking now.

Once, over at my best friend's I stepped on a shard of broken glass that entered my heel. I kept trying to pull it out thinking it went in at an angle. Finally frustrated I squeezed my heel and the thing started coming straight out like a blackhead. A good bit over an inch long. Didn't hurt very much at all but I was worried that the way the callous sealed itself as the shard was removed that if it was dirty enough to cause an infection it didn't have a chance to clean itself by bleeding. Fortunately no problem. Well, except for my friend's gf nearly fainting watching me extract the glass.

I was also heavily into martial arts (Taekwondo and Okinawa te) and calloused feet allowed for some hard kicks.

Prior to The Crash, I was primarily in the Natural Science section.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Most of the difference between men and women hair care products is nothing but marketing. Like hair coloring. For decades it was just for women right. But men would still get their hair dyed, just in secret. So the hair dye companies decided to take the same product and market it for men. Changed the box, and the name, and viola! "Just for Men" was born. Same with women's razors. They take the basic same product as a men's razor and make it pink and give it a feminine name. But it's pretty much the same device. It's all marketing.

If you find a "women's" razor works better on your beard, go ahead and use it. Or if a women's deodorant works better for your skin, use it. The only difference there might be the scent. But you said it had a neutral scent so that is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatty Arbuckle View Post

Try ordering the drums for the sander at Amazon. On the rare occasion they do make a mistake, they fix it pretty quickly. That's where I get refills when I need them. I have bad calluses on my big toes due to never wearing socks or shoes unless I have to, and being a toe walker. I have sensitive skin too, so I have to use the non-scented Secret deodorant since all of the others burn me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                    Just be aware that if you carry a backpack slung over one shoulder, it's really a purse.

And don't eat quiche.
                    REAL men don't give a flyin' flip about what others think about what they eat!

My wife makes an outstanding BACON and egg quiche!!!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Until recently (age catching up) I made absolutely no sound when I walk. Being five foot sixteen moving in total silence is no easy thing. As a kid when my friends and I would walk down the street you could hear them clopping along while I moved quietly. Irritates me to no end that I can hear myself walking now.
                      So we do have something in common after all. People frequently complain about me sneaking up on them, even though I'm just walking the way I always do. Originally, that was because I put little or no weight on my heel, but as I got older that started causing me problems. Now I put lots of weight on my heel, but I still do it pretty quietly, and still get complaints. (It probably helps that I'm not a big guy.)

Comment

Backpack? What man needs a backpack? I have everything I need for wilderness survival in my pockets, and if I get stranded with a group of people I can build us a village within a week and get a functioning economy up and running in a month just using the contents of my pockets. If it doesn't fit in your pants it's not worth carrying. Once you get out of high school backpacks are just purses with two straps.

And don't eat quiche.
                        Way ahead of you there. I tried some before I knew what it was. Looked like scrambled eggs at a church potluck Easter breakfast, and scrambled is the only acceptable way to prepare eggs, so I dug into it. Nastiest thing I ever had. I asked my mom who brought it, asked her what it was (I didn't criticize it, but I'm not fake enough for false compliments, just asked her what it was called so I could make a mental note to avoid it on restaurant menus), and that's when I discovered that I had my sole encounter with quiche.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

REAL men don't give a flyin' flip about what others think about what they eat!

My wife makes an outstanding BACON and egg quiche!!!
                          Used to be this hole-in-the-wall place in "the warrens" at a local mall that served the best quiche. It was back in a twisting maze of corridors in one corner leading to small shops and the arcade.

I think I got the ham and cheese one.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Used to be this hole-in-the-wall place in "the warrens" at a local mall that served the best quiche. It was back in a twisting maze of corridors in one corner leading to small shops and the arcade.

I think I got the ham and cheese one.
                            My wife makes ham & cheese and bacon and cheese - both with green peppers, red peppers, and other goodies.
                            When somebody pulls that "real men don't eat quiche" nonsense, I just tell them that leaves more for me!

Comment

So we do have something in common after all. People frequently complain about me sneaking up on them, even though I'm just walking the way I always do. Originally, that was because I put little or no weight on my heel, but as I got older that started causing me problems. Now I put lots of weight on my heel, but I still do it pretty quietly, and still get complaints. (It probably helps that I'm not a big guy.)
                              My father's nickname for me when I was little young was "spook" because I tended to suddenly appear next to him or in the middle of a group with no warning. Caught him smoking dozens of times after he quit, but never said a word about it either to him or mom. Had a gf remark that she's never known anyone as light on my feet as I was -- to which I replied, just as long as it isn't light in my loafers. It was a different time.

My all time favorite thing was to vanish while we were walking along and talking. There are three moves that require utter silence and perfect timing to pull off but the person (some times people) you were with will continue talking for a few seconds before they notice that you are nowhere to be found. That tends to freak them out because you were literally standing next to them just seconds earlier, and someone my size couldn't simply vanish.

I walk stepping on the back outside of my heel rolling the foot and stepping off of the inside of my big toe (hence the callouses when I went barefoot). Years later I learned that was part of a technique the ninjas used called "Deep Rabbit Way" to walk quietly. And if you use it while walking sideways the trail you leave in tall grass doesn't resemble one made by a person.

Comment

My father's nickname for me when I was little young was "spook" because I tended to suddenly appear next to him or in the middle of a group with no warning. Caught him smoking dozens of times after he quit, but never said a word about it either to him or mom. Had a gf remark that she's never known anyone as light on my feet as I was -- to which I replied, just as long as it isn't light in my loafers. It was a different time.

My all time favorite thing was to vanish while we were walking along and talking. There are three moves that require utter silence and perfect timing to pull off but the person (some times people) you were with will continue talking for a few seconds before they notice that you are nowhere to be found. That tends to freak them out because you were literally standing next to them just seconds earlier, and someone my size couldn't simply vanish.

I walk stepping on the back outside of my heel rolling the foot and stepping off of the inside of my big toe (hence the callouses when I went barefoot). Years later I learned that was part of a technique the ninjas used called "Deep Rabbit Way" to walk quietly. And if you use it while walking sideways the trail you leave in tall grass doesn't resemble one made by a person.
                                I had a secretary once who was a tad "spooky", and I literally tried to walk "louder" when approaching her in the copy room or break room. If I didn't "walk louder", when I started to speak... like once she was adding copy paper to the copier, and I just walked in to begin a conversation, "Mary....." And she screamed and threw the whole stack of copy paper in the air....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X