Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Where do we draw the line on crossing the gender line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do we draw the line on crossing the gender line?

I'm not talking about going out in a dress or shopping at Victoria's Secret or men wearing nail polish or the fact that the makeup tutorials teen girls seem to be watching on the YouTube are posted by men demonstrating on themselves.

I'm talking about the less obvious things. I'll give you some examples. When I hit deodorant age I went through a constant rotation. My mom would buy me one, my underarms would look like someone hit me with hydrochloric acid, after I healed up she'd buy me another brand, same result, and this continued for two years. Finally she told me to try some of the Ban sitting on the sink when I got out of the shower. I asked her if it was hers or my dad's. My dad said they both use it, leading me to believe that it was gender neutral. It worked great. All throughout high school and at the beginning of early adulthood I used it and it was just as safe for me as pure water.

I learned the truth when I got my first job, was out running errands on a day off, remembered I was almost out of deodorant, and stopped off at a pharmacy to buy my own for the first time. I checked the men's section, figured since it was a gender neutral brand it was probably on the border between the two sections, and was shocked to find out that it was right in the middle of the women's deodorant. Right between the Secret and the Lady Speedstick, one shelf down from the Dove (this was years before any place around here carried their men's line of deodorants, body washes, and shampoos).

Fortunately I found some men's deodorants I can wear, at least the aerosol (the stick still gives me problems), so I'm back to smelling like a man. Unfortunately I've entered a pattern that's causing a bit of concern. I'll grow out a beard, get tired of the itching, shave it, get tired of the worse itching from the shaving that I forgot about while wearing my beard, so I'll grow it back and the cycle continues. If you take a razor to a full beard it gets messy, so I used the beard trimmer on my electric razor. It died, so I took the opportunity to go back to blades and decided to get a dedicated beard trimmer.

I was on a bit of a budget so I spent some time shopping around. The beard trimmers were a bit out of my price range, but when I was at work I was stocking and noticed something. First of all, the "pink tax" is a myth. I was hanging some ladies trimmers on pegs, the kind that are meant to be used a fair bit away from the face, and noticed that they were cheaper than the beard trimmers I had been looking at. They do the exact same thing. They cut long hair down to the point where it's manageable with a razor. So on my next day off I went to a store where no one knows me, not even in my store's district so I didn't have to worry about employees there filling in at my store or my coworkers filling in at theirs, and bought one. So now if my decision to shave doesn't coincide with a hair cut, when my mom will use the hair clippers to cut my beard down for me, I use this little pink thing to cut it off.

I've always had problems with callouses on my feet. If I don't sand them down at least once a week it makes for a painful day at work. I use to use sandpaper. Then I bought something that looked like a little cheese grater with a file on the other side. The handle broke and my store keeps selling out of sandpaper before I can take my lunch break (no on the clock shopping) so in desperation I bought something I ran across at Walmart. It's essentially a miniature drum sander. It's the best thing I've ever found for my callouses. It's a lot faster than sandpaper and removes a lot more than the cheese grater thing I had.

The only problem is that it's clearly a women's product. The packaging just has a woman's feet on it. The background and most of the plastic on the actual product is pink (a very light pink, bordering on what Crayola use to call fleshtone, but still pink) and it has rose gold trim. Clearly I'm not part of the target demographic. But the drums that came with mine have worn out and I can't find just the replacements so I'm going to have to get another one.

The question is, when it comes to matters of utility in the privacy of my own home (I don't trim my beard or grind down my callouses just walking down the sidewalk) how far can I go before I have to turn in my man card? Or should I have already run it through the shredder?

Your home is your castle. You can even watch TV in your undies. (Though it seems that would give you a stiff neck)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Your home is your castle. You can even watch TV
      There are still people who do that?
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

We are a dying breed, to be sure.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatty Arbuckle View Post
          I'm not talking about going out in a dress or shopping at Victoria's Secret or men wearing nail polish or the fact that the makeup tutorials teen girls seem to be watching on the YouTube are posted by men demonstrating on themselves.

I'm talking about the less obvious things. I'll give you some examples. When I hit deodorant age I went through a constant rotation. My mom would buy me one, my underarms would look like someone hit me with hydrochloric acid, after I healed up she'd buy me another brand, same result, and this continued for two years. Finally she told me to try some of the Ban sitting on the sink when I got out of the shower. I asked her if it was hers or my dad's. My dad said they both use it, leading me to believe that it was gender neutral. It worked great. All throughout high school and at the beginning of early adulthood I used it and it was just as safe for me as pure water.

I learned the truth when I got my first job, was out running errands on a day off, remembered I was almost out of deodorant, and stopped off at a pharmacy to buy my own for the first time. I checked the men's section, figured since it was a gender neutral brand it was probably on the border between the two sections, and was shocked to find out that it was right in the middle of the women's deodorant. Right between the Secret and the Lady Speedstick, one shelf down from the Dove (this was years before any place around here carried their men's line of deodorants, body washes, and shampoos).

Fortunately I found some men's deodorants I can wear, at least the aerosol (the stick still gives me problems), so I'm back to smelling like a man. Unfortunately I've entered a pattern that's causing a bit of concern. I'll grow out a beard, get tired of the itching, shave it, get tired of the worse itching from the shaving that I forgot about while wearing my beard, so I'll grow it back and the cycle continues. If you take a razor to a full beard it gets messy, so I used the beard trimmer on my electric razor. It died, so I took the opportunity to go back to blades and decided to get a dedicated beard trimmer.

I was on a bit of a budget so I spent some time shopping around. The beard trimmers were a bit out of my price range, but when I was at work I was stocking and noticed something. First of all, the "pink tax" is a myth. I was hanging some ladies trimmers on pegs, the kind that are meant to be used a fair bit away from the face, and noticed that they were cheaper than the beard trimmers I had been looking at. They do the exact same thing. They cut long hair down to the point where it's manageable with a razor. So on my next day off I went to a store where no one knows me, not even in my store's district so I didn't have to worry about employees there filling in at my store or my coworkers filling in at theirs, and bought one. So now if my decision to shave doesn't coincide with a hair cut, when my mom will use the hair clippers to cut my beard down for me, I use this little pink thing to cut it off.

I've always had problems with callouses on my feet. If I don't sand them down at least once a week it makes for a painful day at work. I use to use sandpaper. Then I bought something that looked like a little cheese grater with a file on the other side. The handle broke and my store keeps selling out of sandpaper before I can take my lunch break (no on the clock shopping) so in desperation I bought something I ran across at Walmart. It's essentially a miniature drum sander. It's the best thing I've ever found for my callouses. It's a lot faster than sandpaper and removes a lot more than the cheese grater thing I had.

The only problem is that it's clearly a women's product. The packaging just has a woman's feet on it. The background and most of the plastic on the actual product is pink (a very light pink, bordering on what Crayola use to call fleshtone, but still pink) and it has rose gold trim. Clearly I'm not part of the target demographic. But the drums that came with mine have worn out and I can't find just the replacements so I'm going to have to get another one.

The question is, when it comes to matters of utility in the privacy of my own home (I don't trim my beard or grind down my callouses just walking down the sidewalk) how far can I go before I have to turn in my man card? Or should I have already run it through the shredder?
          I do have to say that I'm marveling at your grammar, and proper use of apostrophes in plural vs possessive.

You clearly don't belong on Tweb.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

[*Walks over and turns TV on*]

Yes.

Just because I haven't had it on in the 9 hours I've been up shouldn't mean anything.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I do have to say that I'm marveling at your grammar, and proper use of apostrophes in plural vs possessive.

You clearly don't belong on Tweb.
              This IS about me smiley runaway.gif

Big Meany.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                This IS about me smiley runaway.gif

Big Meany.
                If the callous fits, wear it. If not, shave it off with a cheese grater.

Comment

Okay, as to the OP...

Sounds like you have sensitive skin.

I have a friend that can't use toilet paper that's been dyed or perfumed. His wife carries spare toilet paper in a zip lock bag in one of those myriad of of side pockets, flaps and whatnots found on some purses.

You do what ya gotta do.

As for callouses, I was proud of how thick and tough the bottom of my feat were back when I went shoeless as soon as the weather permitted. But it would get prominent on the outside of my big toe and every so often, with a good pair of scissors or even a razor blade, I would lop off the end and you could even see layers, where the callouses had grown atop one another. Sorta like tree rings.

But as I said I was proud of mine. There was a quarter mile dirt and gravel trail I would go to when it got warm enough and walk it barefoot to help recondition my feet. Got to the point I walked from my car across an asphalt parking lot to a store on a 100 degree day[1] where I peeled a piece of asphalt that stuck to my foot.

Yeah, there are a load of tricks to doing that I discovered over the years on not as hot days. And yeah my feet were stinging, particularly where the asphalt stuck, but nothing unbearable and the concrete in the shade was a cool relief (inside the store was better).

Still, I wasn't alone, and made a point of calmly peeling the asphalt off. Never let 'em see you sweat.

In any case, I'm rogue. Glad to meet you. I've been here since '06 and staff not too long afterwards but don't think we ran across one another.

1. going to have our first one this year Wednesday

Comment

If the callous fits, wear it. If not, shave it off with a cheese grater.
                    Read my post for how brudda rogue used to handle it. smiley smug.gif

Comment

Read my post for how brudda rogue used to handle it. smiley smug.gif
                      Do I haffta?

Comment

Do I haffta?
                        smiley beating.gif Nooo. Not at all.

Comment

smiley beating.gif Nooo. Not at all.
                          Pretty much the same - I was proud of the callouses on my feet where I actually played baseball barefoot.
                          (Until Mugs McKenzie slid over my toes wearing his fancy metal baseball CLEATS where I had "tagged" first base barefoot, ball in hand, blood spurting everywhere. )

Comment

If you're watching The View, you're over the line.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              If you're watching The View, you're over the line.
                              I only look it so I can tell everyone the latest lunacy

I'm taking one for the team.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X