Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

The Band of Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Band of Brothers

We have a "ministerial alliance" in our community where preachers, pastors, ministers from all denominations meet to discuss and address common problems in the community.

Sometimes I get frustrated with them, like when the more liberal members try to get the rest of us to act on their notion of immigration or something. We are SUPPOSED to focus only on the areas where we agree, but some of the more liberal clergy seem to want to use our group as the hammer of social justice or something.

Apparently, several of the more conservative pastors had felt that way, too, and recently we agreed to start meeting (about 6 or 8 of us) for our own monthly fellowship.

It's mostly other Baptist pastors and a couple of Bible Church pastors, but we have so much more in common with each other than the bigger group of all ministers.

Today, we were talking about areas where we could pray for each other - challenges in our churches, or struggles or whatever.

I shared that I was feeling just a bit impatient because, while my Church has come a long way -- there were only 17 people when I first got there -- and we've grown quite a bit, and there's a remarkably sweet spirit and real unity... there seems to be almost a sense of complacency, like... "ok, we got past that crisis, and we can relax".

One of the other pastors smiled and said, "you probably don't realize this, but my mother is a member of your Church, and she loves you and talks about what a wonderful peace the Church is experiencing". I honestly did not know he was this lady's son - I know exactly who he's talking about.

He told me "I have been where you are, and you have led your people to a period of rest where they can regroup before God does the next big thing." He told me, "enjoy this time of rest, and use it to get to know your people and love them, and wait on the Lord for His marching orders".

EVEN as I was explaining my frustration, I was thinking to myself, "boy, this is DUMB that I'm complaining that things are GOOD!!!!!"

So, I learned something, and we are in the green pastures beside the still waters. He's restoring my soul. I fear no evil. God is SO good.

I'll wait upon the Lord, for He IS renewing my strength, and we'll see where we go from here!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

So, yeah... I have really changed my attitude, and am much less anxious --- God is doing great things, and I'm really learning to enjoy the current situation.

Right now, Jim -- the guy who we have been helping build his house because he fell critically ill and has been bedridden -- is waiting for a liver transplant, and it looks like it could happen any moment. This was unthinkable just a month ago. (Well, it was thinkable, but nobody thought it very likely, as he was "too sick" to survive the surgery)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X