Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

The "Throw Down Bible"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Throw Down Bible"

If you've watched enough cop shows, you're familiar with the concept of "the throw down gun". If not, I'll make it simple....

A police officer is involved in a confrontation in a dark alley, and, thinking "the other guy" has a gun, shoots and kills him. He knows he's going to have to appear before a "shooting board" to justify his actions, and it's pretty tough to defend the killing of an unarmed person, especially if it's a teenager. So, in the movies, said cop would have a "throw down gun" in his possession, either in his back pocket, or readily available in his squad car. It would be a cheap "Saturday night special", perhaps "liberated" from the evidence locker, and the serial numbers would be filed off. Upon discovering the person who was shot was unarmed, the officer would "throw down" the gun near the deceased, perhaps even causing the dead person to "grip" the gun so it would have his fingerprints on it, and claim "self defense".

ANYWAY, that's the background.

I had a different slant.

As a police officer AND a preacher, I often found myself arresting somebody, and upon talking to them, I felt they had a spiritual problem, and their criminal activity was merely a symptom of the root cause.

I was NOT ALLOWED, however, to initiate ANY "spiritual discussions" in my role as police officer, but I COULD respond, if specifically ASKED, on matters spiritual.

So I began carrying a small "zippered" New Testament in my Tuffy jacket pocket, and during the course of interviewing the suspect or subject, that New Testament would somehow manage to fall out of my pocket -- maybe when I reached in for my gloves, or a breath mint, or change for the coffee machine, or whatever. It was not unusual for the suspect or subject to notice the NT fall out of my pocket, and ask something like, "is that a Bible?" and we were "off to the races" talking about spiritual matters because -- HEY, they ASKED!!!!!

Though I wasn't purposely hiding this "tactic" from my Chief, neither was I broadcasting it, and didn't have any idea if he knew or not. That is, until one night the Chief had been called to the station on another matter, and happened to walk through the bull pen where I was "witnessing" to a guy I had arrested, Bible in hand. The Chief stopped briefly and looked, then asked, "So, that's the infamous 'throw down Bible' I've been hearing about?" I was caught off guard, and was trying to think up an appropriate response, when the Chief just smiled and said, "Carry on!", and walked out of the room.

When I read the "always be ready to give an answer to every man that asks" verse (1 Peter 3:15) I smile and think, "even if ya gotta throw down a Bible to GET them to ask...."
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

nice

Comment

Once in a while I see Bibles left on bus benches, homeless tend to sleep on therm around here. Chick tracts too.

Nice you do that though, give them something to think about instead of just feeling hopeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        As a police officer AND a preacher
        You manage two very difficult jobs. While we disagree on many issues, I both commend and thank you for the work you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
          You manage two very difficult jobs. While we disagree on many issues, I both commend and thank you for the work you do.
          Very kind of you, and much appreciated.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's great, what if he doesn't see it or make any comment "oh would you mind picking that up for me?" "What's this you ask? ...well I'll tell ya..." :)
            Last edited by princesa; 02-13-2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
              That's great, what if he doesn't see it or make any comment "oh would you mind picking that up for me?" "What's this you ask? ...well I'll tell ya..." :)
              You're GOOD!

Comment

I've done it before with the electric bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                  I agree with you, Outis

and.... that was s nice thing to say.
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X