Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

GET YOUR BUTTS BACK in CHURCH!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GET YOUR BUTTS BACK in CHURCH!!!!!

I have a very nice older couple in my Church who used to be quite regular in attendance, but they stopped coming to Church shortly before I became the Pastor.

As it turns out, the man was on the Pulpit Committee that called the previous pastor, and that pastor ended up being a total disaster. The man, Jackie, felt responsible, and he felt like the Church blamed him, because he was "gung ho" about the new (previous) pastor.

I have done my best over the last two years to encourage them to come back to Church, and they would occasionally show up, then be gone for another 6 or 8 weeks.

The other day, I was sitting at my Pastoral desk, writing Pastoral notes to members of our Congregation, as I sometimes do. Their names came up in my mind.

I opened a note card, and just sat there trying to think of what I could say, that I hadn't already said.

In a brilliant burst of genius, I picked up a black marker, and wrote in REALLY BIG letters "GET YOUR BUTTS BACK IN CHURCH".

I sealed the note, put a stamp on it, and drove to the Post Office on my way home, where I held the note in the mouth of the postal receptacle, thinking for a moment ... then, "ah, what the heck". I dropped the note into the mail box.

Guess who was at Church Sunday with BIG SMILES, and AFTER Church greeted me with laughter, telling me "that did the trick - we're back!" Jane said she opened the mail, Jackie was outside mowing, and she opened the door and yelled "GET YOUR BUTT IN HERE", and showed him the note. She said they both laughed really hard, then put the note on the refrigerator, anxious for Sunday to arrive.

Invite somebody to Church -- DON'T DO IT LIKE THAT!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

But I GO to church!

And that is really a cool story!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      But I GO to church!
      Church comes to you!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Church comes to you!
        Same thing.

And as far as I am concerned, I am IN church during that period of time.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Same thing.

And as far as I am concerned, I am IN church during that period of time.

Comment

I wish I lived near your church.

Comment

Cool story!

But I would agree, the "GET YOUR BUTTS BACK IN CHURCH!" card method is probably not, in most cases, the ideal method to invite people.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Cool story!

But I would agree, the "GET YOUR BUTTS BACK IN CHURCH!" card method is probably not, in most cases, the ideal method to invite people.
                Ya gotta know your audience!

Comment

Too funny!

Comment

Besides.

I am the Church.
                    You are the Church.
                    We are the Church together.
                    All of God's people, all around the world,
                    Yes, we're the Church together!

Comment

"GET YOUR BUTTS BACK IN CHURCH"
                      You're allowed to smoke in church?
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Comment

Cow Poker said, "butts."

He even spelled it correctly in a thread title!
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Besides.

I am the Church.
                            You are the Church.
                            We are the Church together.
                            All of God's people, all around the world,
                            Yes, we're the Church together!

WE are Groot!
                            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X