Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

As a Christian, He/She was always ________________________

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • As a Christian, He/She was always ________________________

    You have lived a long life, and are being laid to rest.

    Your friends and family are gathered in the chapel, your body laying peacefully in the beautiful casket at the front.

    After his words of encouragement and comfort, the Pastor asks if there is anybody who would like to "say a word" about the deceased, particularly about your life as a Christian.

    What would your friends and family say?

    What would you LIKE for them to say?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    I wrote this a LONG time ago in a thread here at Tweb, that was started, I think, by xmansmommy. It pretty much says what I think you are asking.


    Written in reply to the question asked at Theologyweb, Feb. 15, 2005

    Re: What's your Legacy?
    I would like my children to remember a mother who prayed with them, taught them as much as she could about the Lord and how to live a life pleasing to Him, who not only spoke the words, but lived the life as an example to them.

    I want them to remember that I liked to laugh, and have fun with them. I want them to remember how much I loved them, even when I didn't feel like it. And that I know they loved me, even when they didn't feel like it.

    I want them to remember that I was able to get through the difficult times with my eyes fixed on Christ, that I was able to be joyful even when I couldn't see through my tears. I want them to remember that I tried to find the lessons in the trials, and then apply them to my life.

    I want my children to remember that I tried to teach them that it is more important to tell the truth than to find favour with men. I want them to remember that I tried to instill in them that who they are, no, Whose they are, is more important than what they do. But that what they do should reflect Whose they are.

    I want them to remember the heritage they have that comes from having not only parents but grandparents and great-grandparents who loved God, and I want them to pass that heritage to their own children and grandchildren.

    I want them to forget that I failed in so many ways, but I want them to remember enough to not make the same mistakes that I did. I want them to realize that I was not perfect, but that I did the job I was given as their mother to the best of my ability, with God's help.

    I want them to remember that I loved to sing, that music was a very important facet of my life. I want them to remember that I loved to read, and that I found great joy in creating beautiful items with my hands. I want them to remember that I tried to keep learning new things, even when I got old.


    And, if you ask Russell, in particular, he will tell you that I taught him to "do it right the first time". Which saves a whole lot of stress and time in "do-overs".

    Tweb?

    I am sure Tweb will only remember the pin.

    And I want them to say, "See you in the morning, Patricia".


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd want them to say that I was passionate and hardworking at my art. And didn't abandon Christ for it.

      And good at grammar.
      Visit my website! I have cookies. http://www.amyelizabethatkins.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I wrote this a LONG time ago in a thread here at Tweb, that was started, I think, by xmansmommy. It pretty much says what I think you are asking.





        And I want them to say, "See you in the morning, Patricia".
        If I could give this post a Amen, I would..
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

        "Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis


        I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          And I want them to say, "See you in the morning, Patricia".
          Just for you.....

          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know what my family would say, but I did put in my will that I want the gospel preached at my funeral!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I don't know what my family would say, but I did put in my will that I want the gospel preached at my funeral!
              I'm going to preach at my own funeral.

              "Way back when", I began recording my own "see ya later" sermon beginning on reel to reel, then cassette tape, then VHS video, and most recently on DVD. I try to keep it at 15 minutes or less, and my plan is for it to never be older than 1 year old when I pass. It has always centered around the theme, "And finally, my brethren...."

              [2 Cor 13:11]*Finally, brethren, farewell.
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Just for you.....

                Thanks, CP.


                Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh, i want to "amen" everybody's posts here!


                  Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As a grief recovery specialist, I can certainly say there's no telling what will come to the front of people's minds when they are processing a recent loss. But, grief is the evidence of having loved, so I would hope any comments at my funeral would reflect the love in our relationships over anything else. I wouldn't mind a little humor, either, since that's a big part of who I am. It would please me to know someone thought to say these things:

                    She served the Lord in absolutely every area of her life. To know Lynn was to know Jesus. She was consistent and persistent in her devotion to God and resistant to the tactics of the devil. She helped people find their way to the truth, to healing, and to peace.

                    Then, when they are through extolling these virtues, I'd like a few people to make sure the world knows these things:

                    She had a BIG personality!
                    She knew how to get the job done.
                    She was loud, proud, large, and in charge!
                    She always felt like she didn't fit in, but we always felt right at home with her!
                    I never doubted she loved me because she never let me forget it!
                    sigpic
                    "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                      As a grief recovery specialist, I can certainly say there's no telling what will come to the front of people's minds when they are processing a recent loss. But, grief is the evidence of having loved, so I would hope any comments at my funeral would reflect the love in our relationships over anything else. I wouldn't mind a little humor, either, since that's a big part of who I am. It would please me to know someone thought to say these things:

                      She served the Lord in absolutely every area of her life. To know Lynn was to know Jesus. She was consistent and persistent in her devotion to God and resistant to the tactics of the devil. She helped people find their way to the truth, to healing, and to peace.

                      Then, when they are through extolling these virtues, I'd like a few people to make sure the world knows these things:

                      She had a BIG personality!
                      She knew how to get the job done.
                      She was loud, proud, large, and in charge!
                      She always felt like she didn't fit in, but we always felt right at home with her!
                      I never doubted she loved me because she never let me forget it!
                      I like you more and more all the time.
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I'm going to preach at my own funeral.

                        "Way back when", I began recording my own "see ya later" sermon beginning on reel to reel, then cassette tape, then VHS video, and most recently on DVD. I try to keep it at 15 minutes or less, and my plan is for it to never be older than 1 year old when I pass. It has always centered around the theme, "And finally, my brethren...."

                        [2 Cor 13:11]*Finally, brethren, farewell.
                        Not sure if that is cool or creepy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I like you more and more all the time.
                          Settle down...I'm not dead yet!
                          sigpic
                          "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            You have lived a long life, and are being laid to rest.

                            Your friends and family are gathered in the chapel, your body laying peacefully in the beautiful casket at the front.

                            After his words of encouragement and comfort, the Pastor asks if there is anybody who would like to "say a word" about the deceased, particularly about your life as a Christian.

                            What would your friends and family say?
                            My parents would probably say some boilerplate stuff people usually say at the funerals of people they don't know. My friends wouldn't even find out I'm dead until long after the funeral. Though I'd hope at least one of them stops by my grave to get drunk and talk to him/her self like in a low budget horror movie.

                            What would you LIKE for them to say?
                            "Man, he took so many of them down with him. I've never seen so much blood in my life."
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                            There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              sigpic
                              "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Cow Poke, 03-18-2020, 10:53 AM
                              247 responses
                              18,903 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DesertBerean  
                              Working...
                              X