Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

On "Closing Church"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    We have a 91 y/o lady and a practically newborn babe in our congregetion.

We have limited our gatherings to Sunday mornings and evenings and Wednesday nights. Now word has come from on high within the county to stop ALL gatherings. Waiting to hear from our pastor.
    Meet at the supermarket. People are allowed to gather there.

Comment

Children are less susceptible to the virus than adults and the elderly.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        Meet at the supermarket. People are allowed to gather there.
        I can just see it now. twenty people praying together in the bread aisle which ironically has no bread.
        Last edited by mikewhitney; 03-18-2020, 03:00 PM. Reason: avoiding the grammar nazi

Comment

We have limited our gatherings to Sunday mornings and evenings and Wednesday nights. Now word has come from on high within the county to stop ALL gatherings. Waiting to hear from our pastor.
          I remember having a 92 year old in church who had just become a Christian. Boy was he on fire for the Lord.

Comment

well make sure your buddy Jim stays away. He is on immunosuppresents.

But if you do decide to do a webcast, send me the link! I would love to attend your church!

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              Funny you should mention, lol.

Half the faculty (pulling a number out of nowhere) have never taught online. I'm in a session this afternoon (as a faculty resource, but not as the facilitator). I've already done three online sessions with my kids using the tool the campus is pushing, and not so coincidentally, the tool we'll be using to host the workshop this afternoon.
              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              We're even practicing something as simple Facebook Live because a lot of our older people can manage that!
              Well .... now that was different.

The scheduled session never opened. Our facilitator didn't show up. Someone escalated and everyone got a link from an IT VP to another facilitator's temp room, sans other facilitator.

So I ended up running the session myself. Four, maybe five folks participated. No idea if anyone else picked up enough info to go live remotely.

March 30, the campus goes remote. It is going to be great!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                So, do you need a few more? I think they're still allowing mail across the border.
                That would be great - they truly are appreciated!!!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That would be great - they truly are appreciated!!!
                  I'll try to get those off this week.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    We've come a long way from the third century, when in times of plague pagans escaped to the countryside and avoided contact with the sick at all costs while the church fearlessly stayed behind and cared for the sick and dying. We should take precautions to limit spread of the disease, but I don't think we should forsake the assembling of ourselves together.
                    That's my heart on this.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This is a TOUGH one. Something inside me just rebels against the notion of "closing Church" on Sunday.

We have a lot of older people, but THEY are the ones who insist on NOT closing, and we have discussed this a great deal.

Things are moving rapidly, and it's POSSIBLE this could change before Sunday, but so far, we are remaining open for Sunday Worship.

Our building is very conducive to "social distancing" -- before I came here, the Church was "near death", and a worship center built for 250-300 people had only 15-17 people. We've grown, but we're still only about 70-90 people in attendance on Sunday Morning. Last Sunday we were down just a bit - but still had 60+.

We are encouraging any of our people who are sick, have a cough, fever, cold, flu whatever - STAY HOME, and our people who are elderly with complications like COPD or other ailments to STAY HOME.

There are a number of people, however, who insist they will come if the doors are open.

We have eliminated Sunday School for the time being, and any other meetings that would be done in close quarters, but our Auditorium has 7 separate entrance/exits, and can easily accommodate "social distancing", so -- for the time being -- we are remaining open.

Please pray for wisdom for us as we seek to respond to this incredibly difficult situation.

Remember - this is NOT a DEBATE forum, but helpful comments are appreciated.
                      Our church is going to set up a stage outside and have church. Come and park your car and listen and worship from your car.

ETA: I see reading further into the thread you're already considering that Idea!
                      Last edited by Littlejoe; 03-18-2020, 04:53 PM.
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                        Cool you can do that, but I'm thinking online services would have wider reach, and doing both would be needlessly challenging.
                        Actually, not so much -- the same lapel mic feed for the AM/FM lower power broadcast would be used for the streaming - still exploring possibilities.

Comment

Actually, not so much -- the same lapel mic feed for the AM/FM lower power broadcast would be used for the streaming - still exploring possibilities.
                          We actually experimented with this nearly 40 years ago when our Church's "hearing assistance" involved pocket-sized FM receivers, and the audio fed into a lower power FM transmitter. Certain parking spots outside the building could pick this up on that car's FM radio, so these spots were marked with signage that said "tune in to FM (whatever) to hear today's service".

Comment

We should take precautions to limit spread of the disease, but I don't think we should forsake the assembling of ourselves together.
                            I think everyone should stay home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...512_story.html
                            The Imperial College London group reported that if nothing was done by governments and individuals and the pandemic remained uncontrolled, 510,000 would die in Britain and 2.2 million in the United States over the course of the outbreak.

These kinds of numbers are deeply concerning for countries with top-drawer health-care systems. They are terrifying for less-developed countries, global health experts say.

If Britain and the United States pursued more-ambitious measures to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus, to slow but not necessarily stop the epidemic over the coming few months, they could reduce mortality by half, to 260,000 people in the United Kingdom and 1.1 million in the United States.

Comment

We should take precautions to limit spread of the disease, but I don't think we should forsake the assembling of ourselves together.
                              Even if it means defying government orders?
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

It's official for us...the county has declared No Gatherings Whatsoever. So, starting tomorrow, with the weekly morning service led by a pastor who has FB smarts, we will be live.

There's a FB comment, that'a being reposted a lot, about pastors dealing with this technology in the midst of this crisis. I'll get a copy of it in a minute.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X