Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

On "Closing Church"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Okay, seriously, it's because that puts it just out of my reach, leaving everything I'm working on within reaching radius ... currently a tablet, three textbooks, a couple of printouts of journal articles, and my scratch notes on typing paper. I work from the laptop on the tiny rattan table in front of me. Everything else is on a side table.

That card's got a front row seat to a real education.

Well, that's a relief! Here I thought you might be afeared of close contact with an item that has been in close contact with The Pin!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Well, that's a relief! Here I thought you might be afeared of close contact with an item that has been in close contact with The Pin!

I'm not afeared of no Pin™.

(It's the not no Pin™ that worries me.)

But what I'm really afeared of is coffee spilling onto my laptop, which is why it gets its own table.

Comment

But what I'm really afeared of is coffee spilling onto my laptop, which is why it gets its own table.
        I get that part ok!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I wish you would let me buy some -- those are beautiful. The ONLY suggestion would be that some of them get "squashed" in the mail, and some of the features on the cards pierce the envelopes --- but it certainly doesn't detract from the beauty of the card!!!

So, do you need a few more? I think they're still allowing mail across the border.

Comment

We're doing church, but canceling Sunday School and our usual meal after the service.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We have to try avoiding bad decisions.

My university first decided to allow students to stay on campus and take the classes online. Now the university is sending students home. This would only make people more susceptible to any contagions since these students would now be traveling. Any viruses that the students had then would be taken to other cities. Any viruses in their home towns would now threaten those students.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                We have to try avoiding bad decisions.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses
                Thanks, Mike. That was useful.

Comment

Our church gatherings were cancelled for two weeks (starting last sunday). So this was before possible latest news reports. But we have maybe 50-80 people meeting in a room that seats 500. So we could meet the recommended 3 foot distance noted by the CDC -- if someone is coughing there.

The social isolation, if not having church gatherings, could make people more susceptible to illness. People still will be going to the stores and be in close proximity with others. If we don't have normal social interaction, we then have the double whammy -- more susceptibility combined with proximity in store crowds.
                  Last edited by mikewhitney; 03-18-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Mike. That was useful.
                    I'm glad you make suspicious modifications when quoting my posts.

Comment

Oh that's scary. The older folks are most at risk, and the older folks who are likely most resistant to doing services online, and most likely to have issues adapting to social distancing.

In your shoes, I'd announce services are going online and sell it to them, individually, with personal calls if you've got the time.

Best of luck to all y'all.
                      Gotta agree with Juvie here. If you can do online service that would be the best bet. The only problem is a fair percentage of the elderly wouldn't have a clue on how to tune in.

One issue you may be looking at is some of them may be taking the approach that they've lived a long life and if this is what takes them home, then so be it. They're gonna go to service come hell or high water.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        So far, every one of the "at risk" senior adults has agreed it's best to stay home. Still going down the list, making phone calls.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Gotta agree with Juvie here. If you can do online service that would be the best bet. The only problem is a fair percentage of the elderly wouldn't have a clue on how to tune in.

One issue you may be looking at is some of them may be taking the approach that they've lived a long life and if this is what takes them home, then so be it. They're gonna go to service come hell or high water.

I skipped listening to the online message from our church. If it is online, I am more likely to skip it if the topic doesn't seem useful. Thus, no church meeting can mean no church message.

Comment

We've come a long way from the third century, when in times of plague pagans escaped to the countryside and avoided contact with the sick at all costs while the church fearlessly stayed behind and cared for the sick and dying. We should take precautions to limit spread of the disease, but I don't think we should forsake the assembling of ourselves together.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We have a 91 y/o lady and a practically newborn babe in our congregetion.

We have limited our gatherings to Sunday mornings and evenings and Wednesday nights. Now word has come from on high within the county to stop ALL gatherings. Waiting to hear from our pastor.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X